The next WAJA

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
VKS;548516 said:
What a cheapskate mentality..25 yrs of their automotive innovation is just copying from the japs..But give them a mic, they can talk cock about others all day long..

CAreful when you talk about mics...HR and Arrio might get excited :wink:

Spaceman;548549 said:
What a joke this is! In 2 yrs, we'll all see Evo X on the street.

Good business for chop shops...revival of the "Wiralution" ---> "Waja X" :top:

mizhan;548432 said:
now with this 'alternate reality', me and most people who were at Proton 10 years ago can only look at this 'new' Waja in disgust.

Indeed.. I've lost what small hope I had for Proton.

We have come full circle..a circle of wasted hopes and dreams.Bravo!

Just go see what they're saying at lancerzone, not a happy lot. You gotta feel for them! They're calling the new WAJA as WALAN... lol

In defence of Proton (though I'm no lover of the Malaysia national car concept/execution), they are working under severe financial constraints. It would have cost way too much for them to engineer a Waja replacement model from the ground up. Plus they don't have in-house engines >1.6L. Hence, I believe they are focusing their limited resources toward developing models that will have a chance to sell in significant volume and have export potential to boot i.e. Saga, Exora, EMAS, Pesona.

IMHO Proton's previous management under TM was a disaster for the company and set the company back 5-7 years at least. Gen2, Savvy, Jumbuck, Juara (toaster), Neo? Give me a break! Even I know that Malaysia is not a hatchback market, the masses prefer their sedans!

My 2 sen lah..

WALAN is good. Come come buy my BMWs I wanna buy this WALAN car:thefinger:

agree with E28driver on point regarding the market for hatchback here. i think most space for least money probably a major criteria for those that buy protons so having a boot is important. luckily proton managed to grow them from the butt of the gen2 and savvy. keke. that and dropping the mat salleh-ish model name and using saga and persona will probably keep those models alive longer. but doubt can sell as long and as many as the old saga, iswara and wira.

maybe was a time when proton had so much money they figured lets change business priority, i.e. more important to come up with in-house design and locally developed models so that don't forever kena looked down by other car manufacturers and all those motor industry experts that hang around in forums. money already plenty, lotus pun sudah beli but the industry and people still see them no up. how can man like this.

so while proton busy spending big money doing this gen2, savvy, waja, etc perodua stuck to the money making formula and makan a big chunk of their market. then naza came and joined the feast. finally proton woke up and thought shit liao la like that and realised wrong strategy man for making money. so how? go back to old ways la... as long as can make lots of money.

initialM;549091 said:
WALAN is good. Come come buy my BMWs I wanna buy this WALAN car:thefinger:

I spoke too early, WALAN is old story now...they've coined a new name for this...a combination of LANcer and aJAW (WAJA backwards)...its now called:

LANJAW

.....hahaha...I'm serious...that's what they're referring it to now..

erica34;549092 said:
maybe was a time when proton had so much money they figured lets change business priority, i.e. more important to come up with in-house design and locally developed models so that don't forever kena looked down by other car manufacturers and all those motor industry experts that hang around in forums. money already plenty, lotus pun sudah beli but the industry and people still see them no up. how can man like this.

I always thought that was the right direction to go, more so when Mitsubishi wasn't really a willing partner in terms of technology transfer.

The problem was Proton wasn't making any headways with their own R&D, even the much vaunted and publicised Campro engine is nothing better than the proven VTEC, MIVEC and VVTI with millions spent, and the initial batch suffers from drivability problems (little torque on the low-mid RPM).

Simply put, Proton didn't make cars that the masses want and most bought it because they had no choice due to the tariffs.

Take a page from the Koreans....heard the Forte got a 6 months waiting period.

Forte has nailed its rivals especially the vios dugong and city gaban ... thumbs up to the Koreans...

sachseelan;549281 said:
Forte has nailed its rivals especially the vios dugong and city gaban ... thumbs up to the Koreans...

What about the newly-launched Cruze and Mazda 2 sedan?

ALBundy;549270 said:
I always thought that was the right direction to go, more so when Mitsubishi wasn't really a willing partner in terms of technology transfer.

The problem was Proton wasn't making any headways with their own R&D [something like like kerja campur main sambil belajar??], even the much vaunted and publicised Campro engine is nothing better than the proven VTEC, MIVEC and VVTI with millions spent, and the initial batch suffers from drivability problems (little torque on the low-mid RPM).

Simply put, Proton didn't [know enough about how to??] make cars that the masses want and most bought it because they had no choice due to the tariffs.

Take a page from the Koreans....heard the Forte got a 6 months waiting period.
+1. wonder if amount invested by proton to develop and build own chassis and engine for gen2, savvy, waja, etc is similar to those spent by the more established manufacturers...

erica34;549579 said:
+1. wonder if amount invested by proton to develop and build own chassis and engine for gen2, savvy, waja, etc is similar to those spent by the more established manufacturers...

The Waja cost RM1 billion inclusive of dedicated plant. Gen.2 cost RM600 million to develop, the Campro RM450 million. I suspect other manufacturers also spend thereabouts on platform & engine development, but they're able to amortize those costs over a much higher volume of production.

sachseelan;549281 said:

The Forte enjoys local car tax thanks to Naza. If it's a CBU Kia, it'll cost almost as much as a Civic and Altis, and I have a feeling consumers will choose the Honda and Toyota over the Kia.

Eggie86;549294 said:
What about the newly-launched Cruze and Mazda 2 sedan?

Mazda 2 SEDAN is a big NO NO to me, i simply cannot digest the shape but the hatch is quite ok..

Cruze is quite a nice ride,very popular in local tracks of America and also in super touring.. the word around is, its one the best Front wheel handling car...

Top Bottom