The Leica DLux 4.......

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

stanleycck

Club Guest
Looking at buying a Leica D-Lux 4, the new V-Lux 20 is out soon with a wider/bigger digital zoom. I was shopping at Mid Valley late yesterday evening and there was one particular shop at the 2nd floor which carries Leica......wow.....very nice. I also had a chance to test the EOS550D......a baby '7'.........camera freaks, any advise??........Bundy, Chili, Marcus, Komeng.........??????I do know that Prez has the D-Lux 4. I did see some super quality shots by the D-Lux 4 when my close buddy went to Tibet.......did a comparison with the new Sony........wahh.........the Shots taken by the Leica was out of this world........

stanleycck;516906 said:
Looking at buying a Leica D-Lux 4, the new V-Lux 20 is out soon with a wider/bigger digital zoom. I was shopping at Mid Valley late yesterday evening and there was one particular shop at the 2nd floor which carries Leica......wow.....very nice. I also had a chance to test the EOS550D......a baby '7'.........camera freaks, any advise??........Bundy, Chili, Marcus, Komeng.........??????I do know that Prez has the D-Lux 4. I did see some super quality shots by the D-Lux 4 when my close buddy went to Tibet.......did a comparison with the new Sony........wahh.........the Shots taken by the Leica was out of this world........

Whats the price tag for the D-Lux 4, bro? Kinda keen to buy it also. :wink:

Bro......as per yesterday's check at Mid Valley, 2nd floor Camera Shop, RM2,799.00.......did not bargain yet.

stanleycck;516906 said:

Hi Bro,

At the moment, generally speaking there are 3 types of camera available to the masses (minus the medium format and other more exotic offerings) namely compact, hybrids or mirrorless cameras and DSLR.

The Leica you mentioned falls into the compact category.

The new rage is the mirrorless DSLR such as Olympus PEN, Panasonic GF1 and etc, which is smaller than typical DSLRs but uses the 4/3 image sensor (slightly smaller than DSLR image sensor but bigger than your typical compact camera). The advantage of these mirrorless camera is smaller size (almost like compact cameras), but still utilises similar sensors like DSLR and the option to mount different lens.

Full Frame sensors (Nikon D3s, D3x, Canon 1D and 5D) refer to sensors that has similar size to the 35mm film, and then you have cropped sensors which also varies in size depending on the brand, Nikon (1.5X), Canon (1.3X and 1.6X), Olympus, Panasonic (2X- the 4/3 sensor!!).

Generally, the bigger the sensor size, the better the image quality due to the ability of the sensor's photosites to collect more light - better contrast, lesser digital noise (can shoot at higher ISO) and etc etc.

In the compact segment the Leica is good, nearest competitor would be the "poorer" cousin, the Panasonic LX-3 which is actually the same camera but with different packaging and of course branding. For that, the premium is almost 1k!! So if you really like the camera, get the LX-3 and save 1k. Other good compact or should I say prosumer cameras would be the canon G11 at this price range.

I had taken some memorable pictures with a borrowed LX-3 during my Europe trip last year, too much of a hassle to whip out the DSLR all the time, and it didn't disappoint me most of the time. However, if I were to get a compact/mirrorless camera, the Panasonic GF-1 would be my choice.

Cheers

I agree with albund's assessment. I used to have the LX3 and it was awesome. For low light and wide angle its probably among the best for compacts.

Some of my point and shoot shots with the LX3 are here http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29315

I'm not what you would call a serious photog person. For me taking pictures is not about the technicalities but rather composition(or at least thats what I think it is) ie what would look nice. So a capable camera helps that without getting too fiddly with menus etc. You can keep it in programme mode and be happy :)

Also worthy would be the G11 though its bulkier. Wildcard would be canon S90. they are all within the same price range.

Bro, Panasonic produces all of Leica's Digital Cameras and Lenses.

I have a Panasonic Lumix LX3 as my P&S backup which is the exact equivalent of the Leica D-Lux 4. I love the LX3 but it does have it limitations e.g. The zoom range is less than what I would like. The picture quality is superb.

I have tested it against the D-Lux 4 - I can find no perceptible difference in picture quality although many have said that the software is different and that the Leica colors are warmer.

I guess the Leica is perfect lesson in how to charge more for the same camera.

For compact cameras a good place to haggle would be at Sg. Wang, YL & J One are more towards Dslr.

Btw, the panasonic gf1 can take HD video at 50fps, if I remember correctly ;)

The Panasonic will be good for my wife as she is looking for something easy to carry around but of good quality.........the 1K savings can be valid.......on the other hand, I used to have a EOS5 Analog and is still inside that glass container.......bought a USM EF 28-135IS a few years ago and is going to be wasted if I do not use much of it......in actual 3 lenses with all those acce staying put in Penang.......might get the Panasonic for the HM and get myself the EOS550D.........

stanleycck;516988 said:
The Panasonic will be good for my wife as she is looking for something easy to carry around but of good quality.........the 1K savings can be valid.......on the other hand, I used to have a EOS5 Analog and is still inside that glass container.......bought a USM EF 28-135IS a few years ago and is going to be wasted if I do not use much of it......in actual 3 lenses with all those acce staying put in Penang.......might get the Panasonic for the HM and get myself the EOS550D.........

i think eos550D is a worth buy camera...rm3100 it come with 18-55mm lens,18 megapixel,iso 6400...

stanleycck;516988 said:

The LX3 is perfect for the wifey. My Misus swears by it. She gets 80% keepers and the good ones are really good.

Jipster;516941 said:
I agree with albund's assessment. I used to have the LX3 and it was awesome. For low light and wide angle its probably among the best for compacts.

Some of my point and shoot shots with the LX3 are here http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29315

I'm not what you would call a serious photog person. For me taking pictures is not about the technicalities but rather composition(or at least thats what I think it is) ie what would look nice. So a capable camera helps that without getting too fiddly with menus etc. You can keep it in programme mode and be happy :)

Also worthy would be the G11 though its bulkier. Wildcard would be canon S90. they are all within the same price range.

Jipster......those are awesome shots............

I will hunt around before buying......personally, I still like the SLRsss.......I can still recall me spending hours and $$$, waking up at 3:00am to drive with me buddies to Pulau Banding, taking a 2hr boat ride into the Orang Asli settlements........just for some photos..........buying all kinda of films at that time........spending hrs chatting to those pros at the development film counter........hhmmm.......those were the days.........

I now use a D40 mainly but to be honest I really do miss the p&s compacts, specially the LX3.

They are so convenient to use, small and does everything you ask of it well enough.

I find framing a shot with a nice lcd screen (the LX3 has a very good bright big one) much easier so you can compose a shot the way you have visualized it in your mind.

With dslrs and their viewfinders sometimes i feel there's something missing..... but that said, dslrs are the bomb when you really want to really take control of your shots which is why the D40 is a bit wasted on me right now. Still learning how to use it to the best potential.....

For the reasons above, I think you should invest in both muahahahahahaha :)

Jipster;517166 said:
I now use a D40 mainly but to be honest I really do miss the p&s compacts, specially the LX3.

They are so convenient to use, small and does everything you ask of it well enough.

I find framing a shot with a nice lcd screen (the LX3 has a very good bright big one) much easier so you can compose a shot the way you have visualized it in your mind.

With dslrs and their viewfinders sometimes i feel there's something missing..... but that said, dslrs are the bomb when you really want to really take control of your shots which is why the D40 is a bit wasted on me right now. Still learning how to use it to the best potential.....

For the reasons above, I think you should invest in both muahahahahahaha :)

Jips.......well said..........there goes my budget allocation for a BMW Performance Air Intake for my E90............hehehehehe

Todays DSLRs are very advanced...........saw what Bundy could do on his NIKON during the Kuantan trip.........a lot to learn and desire from such small machines..........during the Malacca trip, saw some shots from Marcus's EOS 5D ( I think ), he took a close up shot of my little princess at night during dinner.........WOW.........that is what I regard as a KODAK moment............

Jay.......maybe it is good to look c look c before purchasing one.........there seems to be a huge load of choices available in the market today..........Canon EOS has launched the new 550D thus some older models have dropped in pricing.......special offers available......as we speak.

stanleycck;517213 said:
Jay.......maybe it is good to look c look c before purchasing one.........there seems to be a huge load of choices available in the market today..........Canon EOS has launched the new 550D thus some older models have dropped in pricing.......special offers available......as we speak.

Yeah, bro couldn't agree more. And even better, save up some moolah for the two wheelers! Ooooppssssssssss!! :vroam: :D

Top Bottom