Short Shift Project

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by nikazwaa@Nov 18 2005, 03:15 PM
Anyone knows where i can get the Teflon Bearing Seat apart from Eurocar Motorsport? No stock liao.... :(
Thank you for your support Strider... :rolleyes:
Nik. My stock will be in by end of next week if you can waitla... :D

Nik,
Yes, u better get the teflon thingy.. Last time when i installed my
short shifter (got from Calvin too..), the mechanic has to cut the
original part,then only the round thingy can squeeze in.

With the short shifter, the throw is shorter, so feels more
cool.. yeeha

Originally posted by naharnms@Nov 22 2005, 06:03 PM
Nik,
Yes, u better get the teflon thingy.. Last time when i installed my
short shifter (got from Calvin too..), the mechanic has to cut the
original part,then only the round thingy can squeeze in.

With the short shifter, the throw is shorter, so feels more
cool.. yeeha
Hi naharnms, how are you? Thanks for supporting.
I believe there is nothing need to be cut if they know how to install. But new teflon bearing is advice to change due to many years of using.

Hey guys,

Need some help here....is this short shift thing can fit in to E36 Manual version? how much different in changing gear ration compare to the long one?

Thanks guys! :)

Need some advice...i got my short shifter but have not installed it. Condition at present, my gear shifter is loose(n i really mean loose). Question, do i need to change anything else besides getting da stuff mentioned? cause i heard tat i may need to change some bushings...is tat true?

WAH y like tat wan....nobody wan to help is it?!? :blink: or is it no experience?!? :blush: jus joking

seriously...sorry lah kelvin... so happen that I got this before I knoe about you... :p

Originally posted by siX PoTTer@Dec 3 2005, 01:12 AM
WAH y like tat wan....nobody wan to help is it?!? :blink: or is it no experience?!? :blush: jus joking

seriously...sorry lah kelvin... so happen that I got this before I knoe about you... :p
No lah! I was just playing. I'm just doing trading...better leave the technical stuffs to the expert... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Originally posted by Calvin Tan@Dec 3 2005, 01:25 AM

No lah! I was just playing. I'm just doing trading...better leave the technical stuffs to the expert... :ph34r: :ph34r:
trading my ass.....!!! or lazy to type.....???

sixpot,
do give CT a visit, he has all the parts neccessary to get the shifter back to a firm feel

basically there are 2 type of shifter, the metal plate and the aluminium rod

the metal plate , there are 3 bushes to change, one near the link at the gearbox itself, the other is at the end where it is suspended to the body, and the ring bush on the shifter's ball

the alu type, 2 to change front gearbox link-also known to be called shifter link tension bush, and the teflon ball on the shifter

this is as far as my knowledge goes, i think CT has more to tell

but then if you change all the bushes and there is still a shifter slope, then this is a deeper technical know-how on the gearbox tensioner springs........
but of course CT can tell you more......

Originally posted by siX PoTTer@Dec 3 2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks TJ... will take you up on ur advice...but how can i get intouch with CT?is he a mech or one of the forumers?!?Thanks again...

Calvin...no worries mate... wil look you up on da sun roof lining... :yes!:
CT is Calvin Tan!!! Aiyo... hahaha....

My turn to do short shift coming soon. Just need to get hold of a Teflon Bearing Seat. :beaten:

Originally posted by nikazwaa@Dec 3 2005, 08:42 PM

My turn to do short shift coming soon. Just need to get hold of a Teflon Bearing Seat. :beaten:
i tot u hang loose kaki.....!!! :p

i learn from you mah......

becoz i type so long for you, you owe me a drink leh.....!!!

:D :D hee heh CT you play play me leh...nvrmind la...wat to do so blur blur...

CT, wah looks like got lots of stuff in there to be changed ah!?!....

TJ, wat about da symtoms that I having?!?...my reverse gear have to really wack hard then only can get to reverse gear....does that mean I need to spend lots of moolah???

so that means i get 2 free drinks....?..... yahooo!!!!

harry,
the diagram was to explain further my description of the bushes that need to be replaced, however that doesnt mean it will be ok, as i mention earlier, it cold also be part of the internal gear lever mech inside the gearbox itself, only way to confirm is to change the worn parts of the external shifter, then test if you still have the same problems

as for your reverse gear, symtoms of the internal lever/springs worn is highly possible, but you need to check your external lever parts to see if there are loose points coz it should be fairly easy to shift into gears if bushes are ok, and nuts and bolts are properly tighten down

again i would stress a renew of bushes, and do get the teflon ones from CT as it last forever, the rubber ones wears out after 1 year or so, after the changes, do give a feedback, if there is still some freeplay, i will then personally check it for further advise

Top Bottom