Short Shift Project

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by Bmmad318i@Nov 15 2005, 01:49 AM
The balance has got no function already removed mine as it was rubbing against the gear linkage and it was already damaged. According to my mech only the E30 has the balancer and does not serve any function even with or without it.
really ah?
oic!!!thx dude!

omg...ijrt tht i was s'posed to get the ///M gear knob frm u few mths back....so sorry dude! :(

i totally forgot bout tht coz axle gave me his ///M gear knob.....

Originally posted by Jules@Nov 15 2005, 02:37 PM
take out the balancer on the prop shaft? just a curious question....why do you think it was there if not required in 1ts place? :dunno:

seriously, I have no clue and wonder of its effect.....when taken out.
I also believe that it must have certain function and I believe almost the same as the flywheel, maybe. (BMW already spend millions on R&D)
But mod will change this characteristic up to a certain level that are acceptable to the user. Once you mod, you gain some and you loose some.

But to me, it is acceptable, so far (don't know about a longer period side effect)

hmmmmm.....well said dude!
but u all do make sense.....just up to bmw i guess.
must be a reason y they put in the balancer in the 1st place right?

Originally posted by nikazwaa@Nov 15 2005, 02:36 PM
Is it hard to install? What are the prospects of DIY?
It is easy if you have a ramp or a hoist cause you need to work from under the car. There's no special tool needed. But in order to take out the balancer, you need to dismantle the exhaust. It took appro. 1.5 hrs to get it done, preferable by 2 person.

Nikazwaa, send to workshop easier mar. The workmanship cost the most RM50 only.

But I'll do it by myself if I have the hoist or the ramp. I like to DIY things actually

Originally posted by nikazwaa@Nov 15 2005, 03:23 AM
Good info.. thanks... now, where's that hoist??? :nyehehe:
no need hoist lah!!!
ask skar19..... :D :p :lol: ;)

*cabuts*

C mine

B4

Interior.jpg

After
Shortshift.jpg

Originally posted by tyke@Nov 15 2005, 08:54 PM
ichiwan2,is tht a HARTGE gearknob??? :blink: :eek:

i want! i want! :D
Got it off ebay. Search ebay.co.uk

Sometimes sells for GBP20 - GBP40, depending on which idiot that keeps increasing the bid. Seller of new ones - MayaHartge.

the balancer acts as both for refinement and to increase rotating mass for better low end torque in the M40 ;) so as I was told by a cat...

This balancer was not found in the M20, only in the M40 and M42...

anybody want to throw a balancer at me, if they have no use for it.

nik: come la we fix the short shifter i know where there is a 3 ton car jack but you must bring a chick along :D

Originally posted by fabianyee@Nov 16 2005, 12:49 AM
the balancer acts as both for refinement and to increase rotating mass for better low end torque in the M40 ;) so as I was told by a cat...

This balancer was not found in the M20, only in the M40 and M42...
Aha.....okie, will check ETK shortly! Thanks Fab and yes, it makes sense although it's kinda light.

Anyone knows where i can get the Teflon Bearing Seat apart from Eurocar Motorsport? No stock liao.... :(

Originally posted by Jules@Nov 15 2005, 10:48 AM
Jip....woi, pandai racun u tu!

The shifter itself costs.......RM2++ ( if I recall correct ) on top of the RM80!

Shift faster? - I drive very slowly one and shift gear with pauses in between! VROOOOOM.........SNICK..........VROOOOMMMM!

Jip, U betta change to manual bro - u dunno what u missing! SERIOUS!
jules doesnt need short shifter, he got something else.... :nyehehe: :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

Top Bottom