ECU upgrade... time wasted

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
correct me if i am wrong but there isn't any space available to locate the turbo on right-hand drive E46s.

The steering column has already taken up the space available on the right-hand side of the engine bay.

Any attempt to fit the turbo will prevent the engine being mounted back on the sub-frame because the turbo will require the space already occupied by the column.

same reason why the only aftermarket extractor will will fit the E46 are HiOP extractors.

ACS, Hamann etc etc will not fit.

Hi ! I guess a groupie would be great, I would like to be counted in if there is a good deal. BTW what's involved, what else needs to be changed? and how much $$. I have a 328i-e36. getting bored with it's performance already, need an upgrade.

Thanks

Originally posted by LumKyE46@Feb 17 2006, 01:33 PM
Waited for almost a year and, after much contemplation only that I got it done last week.
Really time wasting... that was my initial feeling after having my ECU re-map & installed and tested drive the car for a few laps .

The"""SHOULD DO IT EARLIER-LA""""feeling sunk-in right away!

Immediately the car transformed from a beast to a monster (wanted to upgrade the anti-roll bar & brake oredi to tame it a bit) that pulls the moment I step the pedal (syok-nya).
Underpower-la, car lethargy-la, must put V-power-la.... GONE! overnite GONE!

And the MAN that hitting his chest when offer me this a year ago is Calvin Tan from Eurocar Motorsport, don't make the same mistake just like me.... time wasting :ph34r:

:D :D :D
Bro,

Can they do the ecu remap for e46 318i? Where? and how muchhh the $$$$ cost!!! Any side effect???

Regards
eddie

Just wondering...

Remapping ecu with "piggyback" with no other modificatons or any type of forced air induction modifications?? Isn't that like just adjusting your throttle and timing only?? Sounds like a waste of the remap if you don't have any other mods..

To my understanding by just doing a remap with no other mods just gives you an illussion of power when actually all you get is adjustment to your throttle response and higher rev limit meaning you just don't have to press your accelarator as much(what took 50% throttle press would take only 30%-40% press after remap) and the rev's just moves up a notch (if the cut is 5000rpm after remap 5500rpm).

My query is wouldn't BMW have optimize the perfect setting for your UDM's? Remapping with no other mods would just give and all or nothing type of response (non-linear)?

Anyway not being a killjoy here but if anybody who hasn't done the minimum mod's like filters, exhaust system..etc, they shouldn't remap... cause in my opinion how can a software upgrade make a car increase in hp or torque?? its just an illussion of power.

Want to go faster press harder la..... :wink:

To those who mod their car then its neccassary cause they would want to have the best settings for their real increase in HP and torque.

Anyways.. why make your UDM's faster if you don't race on the track? Want to dome some illegal street racing is it? enjoy your UDM's stock and upgrade the looks (thats why i buy the car) want to go fast buy a turbocharged car.. confirm fast and furious or better still the M3

No offense intended :rolleyes:

Just on opinion... :yes:

Originally posted by MRsamdol@May 19 2006, 09:34 AM
Just wondering...

Remapping ecu with "piggyback" with no other modificatons or any type of forced air induction modifications?? Isn't that like just adjusting your throttle and timing only?? Sounds like a waste of the remap if you don't have any other mods..

To my understanding by just doing a remap with no other mods just gives you an illussion of power when actually all you get is adjustment to your throttle response and higher rev limit meaning you just don't have to press your accelarator as much(what took 50% throttle press would take only 30%-40% press after remap) and the rev's just moves up a notch (if the cut is 5000rpm after remap 5500rpm).

My query is wouldn't BMW have optimize the perfect setting for your UDM's? Remapping with no other mods would just give and all or nothing type of response (non-linear)?

Anyway not being a killjoy here but if anybody who hasn't done the minimum mod's like filters, exhaust system..etc, they shouldn't remap... cause in my opinion how can a software upgrade make a car increase in hp or torque?? its just an illussion of power.

To those who mod their car then its neccassary cause they would want to have the best settings for their real increase in HP and torque.

Anyways.. why make your UDM's faster if you don't race on the track? Want to dome some illegal street racing is it? enjoy your UDM's stock and upgrade the looks (thats why i buy the car) want to go fast buy a turbocharged car.. confirm fast and furious or better still the M3

Good point there MRsamdol, but I will prove you wrong. Come and prove it yourself too. I have did many 330i/ci model too. And there are guaranty power and torque improvement even a 100% stock car. cheers..

Originally posted by MRsamdol@May 19 2006, 09:34 AM
Just wondering...

Ya how much for my E46 318Ci???

ori ecu - remapped how much? % increased in hp?

compare to piggyback, which is better?

factors to consider = costs, fc, adv/disadv...

I think we should have a specific thread dedicated to the questions/viability of having piggyback ECUs and ECU re-programmed.

MrSamdol, bottom line is this, an ECU-reprogramming is more than what you have mentioned.

An ECU with Superchip, Hiop Chip, Dinan, Jim Conforti chip and etc will no doubt increase the vehicle's torque and hp output. This is achieved by altering the stock ECU's air fuel mixture mapping and also advancing the ignition timing. Now you have asked indirectly, why BMW didnt go the extra mile to extract these possible improvements in the engine performance?? The answer is, BMW manufactures cars for all over the world and the gas octane level varies depending on which country. IN Malaysia we have RON 92 and 97. In the states, they have Ron 87, 92 and 95 if I remember correctly. Some countries dont even have RON95 and so forth.

An ECU with an aftermarket chip requires the owner to use RON92 and above, anything less may cause pinging/knocking and probably wouldnt achieve the desired results. So BMW ECUs are made in such a way to ensure they can run on low octane gasolines and hence the ECU is programmed to accomodate that.

Rgds

Forgive me if i seem pessimistic guess i am that kinda person,

I do look forward to going to calvins shop, after looking through the website his place looks to have a lot of goodies.

A sound idea to have a comparison between all the ECU remap, then we could have a good comparison between all the chips..

Thanks

How you gonna do a comparison of all the aftermarket chips available in the market? :wink:

Originally posted by MRsamdol@May 19 2006, 02:09 PM
Forgive me if i seem pessimistic guess i am that kinda person,

I do look forward to going to calvins shop, after looking through the website his place looks to have a lot of goodies.

A sound idea to have a comparison between all the ECU remap, then we could have a good comparison between all the chips..

Thanks
Different won't be much. Maybe 1 or 2hp from brand to brand ECU remap.

i agree fully with albundy's opinions above.

i think the crux of this ecu tuning lies with narrowing down tolerances.

as an example, say main bearing clearance, for my engine, nissan states that the main bearing clearance is 0.004-0.022mm. so the tolerance range here is 18microns. but the max limit is stated as 0.05mm.

as such, nissan will set settings in the ecu that take into account this range, along with tolerances in other things from local market petrol octane to spark plug quality etc etc and come up with a tune that is still safe enough to cover a warranty of say 3 years/60,000km.

now they will naturally assume the worst case scenario ie if everything was at the worst end of the range all stacked up, ie worst quality fuel with really loose bearing clearances(22microns here) such that oil pressure is on the low side etc etc, the car will still survive 3 years of use without engine failure, statistically speaking.

on the other hand, if you find that your engine is relatively well built etc, then you can confidently take away some of these safety margins and go for a more radical state of tune. of course nothing comes for free so you can expect accelerated wear and tear etc.

but to my mind, a good tune is one that pushes more performance with the obvious increased wear and tear, but within reason and certainly no catastrophic sudden death failures which would be the case if say you run too much ignition advance at high rpm and load.

there r few types of piggybacks 4 ecu remapping, but d top lines r superchip & unichip when we r talkin about BMWs. my guess is all d statement discussed here r true, & oso unsurely true... these various kinds of chips give good air + fuel for greater fuel combustion, making d vehicle smoother & way-way faster, no cut-offs when u remapped,we all know these facts theoretically.
it would b appropriate if (4 u guys yet 2 install) u do minor mods & have d things ready b4 remapping ur ecu's (i.e mufflers & exhaust system, filter, cables, etc.). it is costly 4 tuning up (around $400-500 -an additional 250-300 for dyno test).
Here's an example: u remap ur ecu & thus u can feel d difference. few mths later u saw a complete set of exhaust system, ori samor,cheap samor, it fits perfectly samor..hey, bet u wont even look away or thinking twice 2 buy it, i wouldnt!!!
there goes $700!
then u take a long drive up north or south. as soon as u return engine ada rasa lain, no umphh due 2 tuning lari sikit.
Riiiight, another $700.
List goes on...
anyways, im still trying 2 find out which is better 4 udms, superchips or unichips. can check out stuttgart 4 superchip. they should know cos they have it there. unichip costs around $1999 to $2200.

Originally posted by uncle tobby@May 19 2006, 05:05 PM
there r few types of piggybacks 4 ecu remapping, but d top lines r superchip & unichip when we r talkin about BMWs. my guess is all d statement discussed here r true, & oso unsurely true... these various kinds of chips give good air + fuel for greater fuel combustion, making d vehicle smoother & way-way faster, no cut-offs when u remapped,we all know these facts theoretically.
it would b appropriate if (4 u guys yet 2 install) u do minor mods & have d things ready b4 remapping ur ecu's (i.e mufflers & exhaust system, filter, cables, etc.). it is costly 4 tuning up (around $400-500 -an additional 250-300 for dyno test).
Here's an example: u remap ur ecu & thus u can feel d difference. few mths later u saw a complete set of exhaust system, ori samor,cheap samor, it fits perfectly samor..hey, bet u wont even look away or thinking twice 2 buy it, i wouldnt!!!
there goes $700!
then u take a long drive up north or south. as soon as u return engine ada rasa lain, no umphh due 2 tuning lari sikit.
Riiiight, another $700.
List goes on...
anyways, im still trying 2 find out which is better 4 udms, superchips or unichips. can check out stuttgart 4 superchip. they should know cos they have it there. unichip costs around $1999 to $2200.
well said.....

chk with turbo lim from RS Impressive recently, he said if wanna buy any piggyback one shd upgrade air filter & exhaust system to complete the project.

he quoted his unichip @ RM1999 all inclusive, i.e. installation, dyno, tuning etc..

Top Bottom