She's a beauty. Can see can touch. LoL

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
late afternoon right after returning from office i restarted my mission that was failed the other day. to get the o2 sensor changed!

i got my tools ready. socket wrench, swivel connector, small tip screwdriver, black tapes, flexible mechanic magnet, and last but not least the o2 sensor socket.

top part removals were easy. engine cover and pollen filter box were first removed. this step is done in order to easily get access to the old sensor.

the o2 sensor is connected in 2 ways. one to the cat the other to the connector. first unplug the connector side.

then move to the cat edge. try to fit in the special socket to the sensor. need to do from the top of the sensor not from the side. otherwise it wont fit. i could not see the sensor, all based on hand sense only.

after the socket fits into the sensor, then connect the swivel connector, then get a bar connector and link it to the swivel, on top of the bar tuck in the wrench itself. then start rotate anti clockwise to loosen the o2 sensor. one or two times rotation is enough, the sensor is loose, unplug the bar connector and rotate out by hand.

the result. old sensor is on the left, and new one is on the right.

DSC_0246.jpg

then it's time to fit in the new sensor. using hand, patiently rotate the new sensor into it's location clockwise. why patiently? because of the sensor wire elasticity, it will rotate back the sensor against our way. tips, right hand rotate the sensor in, left hand concurrently rotate the above wire.

when it feels like the sensor is already firm and in it's position, use special socket to tighten it. do not over tighten the sensor because there is a risk of damaging its thread. once this finishes, next steps onwards are easy.

tips. best position is to stand next to the pollen filter box and confront the driver side mirror. use the right hand to get access to the sensor. it is an advantage to have small hand & fingers. lol.

i did the removal before maghrib then stop then continue after pray. installation of new sensor was in dark without proper light but it makes no difference since it requires good hand sense only.

after all done. i took the car for a spin and so far that CEL never comes back. otherwise i will have to look for other culprits.

pussy;752153 said:
huskar, just a suggestion, before you open it, give the O2 sensors a dose of WD40 for a about 3 times, then start the engine , idle for 1 minute, then shut off...then spray again.

this is to loosen up the nut, cos hot/cold expansion plus rusted inside, you might break the O2 or injure yourself.
aha i guess it's too late already for your advice. anyway it's a good one and surely next time i will spray some wd40. thanks!

haywire;752156 said:
Bro how much?

I think I want one too! Where exactly in Jalan Ipoh?
i got it for rm55. i cant remember the shop's name (as usual lol) but it's located not far from BA. i actually visited sata shop which is located in the same row with BA. then the sales girl there pointed me one shop nearby that might have it. i went and lucky me only one left.

i got the business card but i think i left it at office. will share you their numbers tomorrow. but if you want borrow mine also can. changing o2 sensor is once in blue moon only. lol

huskar3399;752181 said:
i got it for rm55. i cant remember the shop's name (as usual lol) but it's located not far from BA. i actually visited sata shop which is located in the same row with BA. then the sales girl there pointed me one shop nearby that might have it. i went and lucky me only one left.

i got the business card but i think i left it at office. will share you their numbers tomorrow. but if you want borrow mine also can. changing o2 sensor is once in blue moon only. lol

Alright thanks. Maybe when the time comes I'll just come and borrow lah hahahaha

No need to keep a tool that is only needed for the next 100,000kms or more LOL

Just curious bro, any difference after changing the O2 sensor? Mind sharing?

Petrus;752402 said:
Just curious bro, any difference after changing the O2 sensor? Mind sharing?

Theoretically it should bring the combustion back into optimal state. Because when we have faulty o2 sensor the reading given to computer box that control engine performance would be wrong and consequently creates rich/lean mixture. That could lead to misfire etc. I read somewhere if the mixture is rich it could damage the CAT. Maybe because of the unburned mixture pollutes the CAT.

That's my understanding lah. Perhaps other sifus would know better.

For me I am still observing my CEL. So far I did not return as I test drive yesterday. Hopefully it would stay that way lah. Aha.

Aha, I see. Thanx for sharing. Reason I asked was because I changed mine a few months ago after I scanned my car with the scanner. But I dont feel any difference after changing. Haha..

Petrus;752420 said:
Aha, I see. Thanx for sharing. Reason I asked was because I changed mine a few months ago after I scanned my car with the scanner. But I dont feel any difference after changing. Haha..
immediate effect that i could think of is the car won't be jerking anymore. if the CEL comes out, there are several parts that could cause it beside the o2 sensor. the others are MAF or ignition coils or ccv(dont know i get this correct or not).

bmw7833;752574 said:
Bro, how much for the jack and stands?

Jack 390 stands 60/pair. Ni idea if the price is ok or not for the jack. But the shop claimed that it's for lowed car and can lift up to 3 tonne. He added the 2 tonne only good for roadside emergency.

Some minor updates. Last night successfully accomplished a diy mission. "Cleaning the ICV". The best diy for me so far. Apart from the "bear" level of dismantling parts, the reward is instant. The idling is smooth & constant when I ignited the car this morning. Not like it usually was, choking & semput especially when the CEL lights up and also after 5 days without start. Some pics below.

all filthy. front side.
DSC_0252.jpg

back side. the funnel that brings air into engine during idling.
DSC_0253.jpg

engine degreaser to clean the clogged passage.
DSC_0258.jpg

cotton buds & baby wipes that accomplished the dirty job.
DSC_0256.jpg

huskar3399;754641 said:
cannot la bro your car too powerful la. pawe baq ang. ehehehe.

Blardyfool ada laa not powerful ehehehee...tunggu kawan kita kluaq keta baru btoi2 powerful pasnie...takat 2.5 liter sengih jaa...ping ping zib...ekekekekkeee

Nice acquisition bro. Is this the set posted for sale at mudah.my just couple of days ago?

Top Bottom