Rft

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
E46Fanatic;361756 said:
Yeah so is mine. The France batch feel better from my experience, more gluey, softer and supple compared to the Brazil batch. But regardless, they are still great tyres IMHO. t2ribena got France batch PS2's for his E60 Sports, so its still in the market here in KL. Just have to shop around a bit to get the France batch.

Overall going to 18's PS2 non-RFTs from 17's RE050A RFTs were significantly more comfy in my case. What tyre pressures are you running now for your PS2s?

I didn't know there is a difference between France and Brazil batches. However, the good thing is my set is very new off the oven as they are manufactured recently - like week twenty something 2008.

PS2 can take upto 51psi (?) cold. I am putting mine at 34 and 36 psi front and back respectively. May be too high for non RFT? The car still feel a bit more bouncy than I would like to. However, the steering response and turn in during cornering seem to be better.

E46Fanatic;361756 said:
Yeah so is mine. The France batch feel better from my experience, more gluey, softer and supple compared to the Brazil batch. But regardless, they are still great tyres IMHO. t2ribena got France batch PS2's for his E60 Sports, so its still in the market here in KL. Just have to shop around a bit to get the France batch.

Brazillian and Thai Michellins are the most common here. How much are French PS2s, as a matter of interest E46F? And what should non-RFT tire pressures be, do you know?

Schwepps;361778 said:
Brazillian and Thai Michellins are the most common here. How much are French PS2s, as a matter of interest E46F? And what should non-RFT tire pressures be, do you know?

I don't think there are Thai made PS2's here, mainly PP2's from Thailand. Both French and Brazil PS2's are about the same price here tho. My last batch of French PS2's were about the same price as my Brazil made ones.

Peanut, tyre pressure sounds right. Is it still bumpy compared to your ex RFT's? If anything, even if you bought new RFTs RE050A's they would be more comfy than the outgoing worn ones due to the added thread depth soaking up the shock etc. New tires are always more comfy than worn ones. So I found it strange that your comfort experience of new PS2 non RFTs is about the same as worn RE050A RFTs.

Schwepps, I must agree with you that the condition of our local roads is simply deplorable and redressing this factors highly on my wishlist of priorities for our country's leadership. Surely, this remains one of the most glaring deficiencies on Malaysia's aspiration to achieved developed status!

I myself have had nasty encounters with huge potholes of late esp during this wet weather spell and man, I get so incensed @$##!%@!. If there's any consolation, the stock BMW rims are amazingly resilient although I find RFTs just too hard for our roads. I intend to change my RE050A RFTs to non-RFT Contis soon and invest in BMW's Mobility Kit which is going for RM500 plus.

The Powerblow has spoken! :eek:

Well, it's not for want of ability - look at our great highways. :love: Just jurisditional, procedural and other nefarious issues being there and continuing to be there for decades. That's why change is needed! Our roads are truly 3rd world, and it's hugely embarrassing that our cities don't even rank with Bangkok and Jakarta in road surfacing. I haven't been to Manila and HoChiMinh in a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if we can't even match them. And we're the only oil exporting nation in the region! But with 3rd world pot-holed roads.

I'm okay with RFTs but they're still too darn expensive. Not value for money. BMW mobility kit? I thought the Conti one is more comprehensive for the money? I dunno though.

I don't mean to incite anything but that's what happens when the top leadership only see the roads in Putrajaya or gets driven around in cars they don't have to pay for, which taxpayers pay for and the former Minister of Works is just full of crap..!

Back to topic... I'm actually in two hearts about RFT and non-RFT cos I had 2 punctures recently on the same rear RFT (both at night) and it was so convenient to only have to drive to the tyre shop in the morning. Despite patching both punctures, the RFTs have remained OK even with "spirited" drives to Genting and Bentong backroads recently.

Actually JPB, it's not so straightforward as that. The Works ministry doesn't have jurisdiction over all roads. You have a plethora of bodies having jurisdiction for various roads - private developers, city halls, district offices, and so on. And of course other bodies just waltz in and dig up a newly resurfaced road to lay their whatever, without bothering to get approval, because it's too difficult to get it. Different manholes belong to different bodies and can't be touched. Etc, etc. There is just no coordination of the whole thing, so it's just one big pot-holed mess. Really time for change!

Yeah, I like RFTs for the same reason. But to think of stumping 8 grand to change a set is too painful.

Juan Powerblow;361806 said:
... Back to topic... I'm actually in two hearts about RFT and non-RFT cos I had 2 punctures recently on the same rear RFT (both at night) and it was so convenient to only have to drive to the tyre shop in the morning. Despite patching both punctures, the RFTs have remained OK even with "spirited" drives to Genting and Bentong backroads recently.

I was thinking about changing to RFT but there was no stock. Price aside, I actually like the RFT as I think it is relatively safer. Personally, I don't experience the "harshness" in ride quality using RE050A. Without RFT, I need to buy the mobility kit and have to keep an eye on the i-drive screen in case there is any significant air leak due to nails/others.

Hopefully the good grip of PS2 will compensate for some of this with increase in driving fun :top:

Agree with Silver320 that the Michelin tire guage is a cool toy. :p Its Ni-MH battery is charged with a built-in crank and that lights the LED torch for a long time. Being digital of course, you can choose from 4 ways to measure: psi, bar, KPA or kg/cm2.

If any of you are changing a set of tires soon and are getting Michelins, be sure to ask for your Star Wars lasergun-shaped toy. Hee hee! :top:

Schwepps;362274 said:
Agree with Silver320 that the Michelin tire guage is a cool toy. :p Its Ni-MH battery is charged with a built-in crank and that lights the LED torch for a long time. Being digital of course, you can choose from 4 ways to measure: psi, bar, KPA or kg/cm2.

If any of you are changing a set of tires soon and are getting Michelins, be sure to ask for your Star Wars lasergun-shaped toy. Hee hee! :top:
I managed to get the toy from my tire shop despite I got a very good price for the tires :top: The 4-in-1 toy is actually quite large - almost 6 to 10 times larger than my mechanical Michelin tire gauge. It looks good but I have not tested its accuracy since I got it today. Personally, I will keep it in the car but will probably use my mechanical one.

Top Bottom