Rft

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
mnas;357898 said:
i know a place in s'pore where my s'porean frens recommend. i'll let u guys know once i get some pricing on RFT ex-S'pore. cheers..

i will be looking forward to ur research dude. thanks a zillion :)

The cheapest RFT is RM980 (in JB, Era Maju), brand er... can't really remember.

With branded RFT, you are looking at the price range of around RM1.4k~RM2.2k.

Anyhow, for mine? I just change mine. With rims, with 95% tyres. Total RM4.8k with my rims traded in.

May I know from you guys here your original RFT can last up to how many km before the thread worn out ? Many tire shops do not sell rft, where normally we can source for it ?

Bro, you can't generalize about how long an RFT or non-RFT tire will last. You need to look at the threadwear rating of a tire. Eg, my RFT Bridgestone Potenza RE050s have traction and temperature ratings of A (high), but threadwear rating of only 140 (very low) They'll wear out much faster than the Michelin Pilot Precedas on my Merc which are rated 240, and the 'green' Michelin Energy MXVs on my other car which are rated 400.

The higher the traction rating, the lower the threadwear rating - softer tyres have more grip but wear faster (and give higher fuel consumption) So it all depends on what you want: higher performance or higher economy. This website is good: http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site...toid=9f4baa8c16e35110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD

Rule of thumb is that tires should be replaced after 12 months use as the compound deteriorates with time. I normally take mine up to 18 months but no more than that. :p

Tire shops generally don't stock imported tires, but the bigger shops will get them quickly from the distributors when you ask them for a particular brand and model.

For 180 rating usually will last about 22,000km give and take. Do bear in mind that the recommended thread depth as stipulated in your manual. Don't run your tires till botak.

racheltoh;358820 said:
not 60,000 km?

Maybe if you use Bridgestone Duelers with treadwear rating of 600, Rachel. But your 325i Sports will look and handle like a twin-cab truck. ;)

There's no one size fits all and you shouldn't measure tire life by km. Only measure by overall condition, thread wear and age. Once the thread reaches the bars or age exceeds 18 months, you should change them. Before reaching the bars or exceeding 12 months is even safer.

Through my experience, all my tyres can last 40k km to 60k km. 40k km means if I don't rotate tyres, front will wear out in 40k km. If I rotate tyres and wear all 4 evenly, 60k km is about right. My wife's car can get 80k km and no need to rotate, all tyres wear out evenly, very "average" driver.. :wink: I guess she does not brake and corner as aggressive as me.. :p

I normally run my tyres beyond the thread wear indicator and if weather permits, I run my tyres until can see canvas! :eek: Botak tyres is such a nice tyres to use in the dry! But if wet, mampus!! I used to keep 2 sets of tyres, one dry one wet.. dry for office commuting, wet for holiday outstation trips.. :D

Rachel's 325i sport is running staggered tyre set up, meaning rear tyres are fatter than the front, thus rotate tyres is not possible.

Rachel's tyre should last very long la. She doesn't do donut, she doesn't go for spirited drive. Rachel, when was the last time you hear your tyres screech? Mine... everyday.. :p especially those under bridge u-turn, confirm got sound wan, even with DSC on.. :D

astroboy;358951 said:
Rachel's 325i sport is running staggered tyre set up, meaning rear tyres are fatter than the front, thus rotate tyres is not possible.

i believe that staggered tires are still possible to rotate. just dismount tires from rims and switch places left and right for both rear and front tires.

Schwepps;358730 said:
Bro, you can't generalize about how long an RFT or non-RFT tire will last. You need to look at the threadwear rating of a tire. Eg, my RFT Bridgestone Potenza RE050s have traction and temperature ratings of A (high), but threadwear rating of only 140 (very low) They'll wear out much faster than the Michelin Pilot Precedas on my Merc which are rated 240, and the 'green' Michelin Energy MXVs on my other car which are rated 400.

The higher the traction rating, the lower the threadwear rating - softer tyres have more grip but wear faster (and give higher fuel consumption) So it all depends on what you want: higher performance or higher economy. This website is good: http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site...toid=9f4baa8c16e35110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD

schwepps, now only I know there is threadwear rating on tire. :eek: Learn t something new today.So we should look at something in between 140-600 for normal driver and normal wear & tear.

Thanks for the tip Toffeeman! Will check it out when I need a replacement tire. ;)

Silver320;358976 said:
schwepps, now only I know there is threadwear rating on tire. :eek: Learn t something new today.So we should look at something in between 140-600 for normal driver and normal wear & tear.

Glad to help increase your understanding. For a normally driven sports saloon, something in the 200-300 wear rating is good. Also there's no difference in threadwear rating between RFT and non-RFT versions of a particular tire range. The difference in RFT tires is only in the sidewall construction.

When choosing tires, don't consider comments like: "xxx tire is half that price/yyy tire can last +60k/zzz tire gives better roadholding". Compare threadwear and traction ratings on the internet instead. All well known brands make good tires, but each range of tire, even within brands have their own qualities for specific reasons.

My Michelin MXVs are cheap as far as Michelins go, can last almost 3x my Potenzas, and as the advertising goes, give better fuel consumption because they give less rolling resistance. Drawback: they're half as grippy as the Potenzas, especially in the wet. Would I use them in my 325i Sports? That would be like playing golf with top range Titleist clubs, but only wearing Bata shoes. :)

If using RFTs, definitely good bro. But a BMW TPMS integrated into the car's info system would be expensive. Do you have an aftermarket product in mind?

Schwepps;359265 said:
If using RFTs, definitely good bro. But a BMW TPMS integrated into the car's info system would be expensive. Do you have an aftermarket product in mind?

Do you have a recommendation for aftermarket TPMS? Also, what would the cost be like?

Sorry mate, never looked and don't think I ever will as they're costly. I'll stick to my MTPMS (Manual TPMS) - a RM28 tire pressure guage applied once a week. :D

i doubt TPMS is available as an option here. maybe Msport got confused with the version on our rides.

MSport;359340 said:
Do you have a recommendation for aftermarket TPMS? Also, what would the cost be like?

Aftermarket TPMS should not cost more than RM500 a set (4 wheels) comes with a 12v DC digital monitor that looks like a turbo timer, to be attached to the dash. Interested please PM me.

Top Bottom