RFT vs Non RFT

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mezmhn

Club Guest
Hi - I've read a number of articles about the disadvantages of using RFT. Can I replace the RFT with conventional tires on a standard rims and will the tire pressure sensor still work ? I'm intending to replace my stock wheels 17" to 18" conventional tires.

There is no pressure sensor. The ABS system is used to determine rotation and it will know if there is a puncture. You can swap RFT for non RFT. Just remember to have puncture repair kit or the space saving spare. For me if you like a spirited drive, I found RFT with its harder walls feel much better. But then you know la, ride is harder.

Thanks but isn't ABS related to breaking rather than tire pressure ? Besides ride comfort reason for switching to conventional tires are more on the cost since RFT is 1/3 more expensive than conventional tires and they last just as long as normal tires. I am just wondering if the pressure sensor will behave differently if a conventional tires with larger size than stock is installed.

Very good q.I also want to change to non 3ft but sure headache
To put the spare tire.can we use the smaller tire like honda as spare
One.anybody can suggest.

Mezmhn;776617 said:
Thanks but isn't ABS related to breaking rather than tire pressure ? Besides ride comfort reason for switching to conventional tires are more on the cost since RFT is 1/3 more expensive than conventional tires and they last just as long as normal tires. I am just wondering if the pressure sensor will behave differently if a conventional tires with larger size than stock is installed.

ABS can be simply put by saying it calculates the rotation. Hence if a tyre is leaking, the rotation rate changes in comparison to the others. I am running non RFT.

you can safely use non RFT for BMWs, thousands of ppl are doing so. If you are in PJ/KL you are never more then 15min from a workshop/petrol station anyway in case of a flat. Just google, you can carry a portable compressor or a can of goo in case you are stranded

When I burst my tire on a uncovered manhole in KD early this year, i just called my workshop and they sent a Van with a spare 19" rim + tire, and changed it for me...talk about good service :top:

Thanks for the replies...i assume non-RFT provide better riding comfort to some - but is there a lot of weight reduction in comparison with larger wheelset ?

Mezmhn;776758 said:
Thanks for the replies...i assume non-RFT provide better riding comfort to some - but is there a lot of weight reduction in comparison with larger wheelset ?

Non RFTs are more comfortable. The ride is softer. Yeah, they are lighter too but I got doubts to a point whereby the FC savings is very significant. You compromise a bit for the convenience when you encounter a puncture. Non RFTs cannot hamdle a puncture that occurs at the wall.

Am running Goodyear AS2, love the ride but walls are softer and on the track they heat up after 4 laps. Life is about compromises I guess.

What's the trade in value on RFT tires - I've got a stock 17" 225x45 continental tires - any ideas ? Any tire shop recommendation ? Thinking of swapping that with 18" non RFT.

Speedline in Kota Damansara gave me a decent price on my MSport 18" RFTs. It was about what everyone else was kinda giving. The sale price of the tyres I took we not the lowest but low enough. Maybe a mere RM20 more. I decided to trade in with Speedline rather than go hunt at Shah Alam to save that little bit. Try and ask la

A warning ... Do not go there with credit card. When you see the rims he got you may rnd up taking all!

tIANcI;776816 said:
Speedline in Kota Damansara gave me a decent price on my MSport 18" RFTs. It was about what everyone else was kinda giving. The sale price of the tyres I took we not the lowest but low enough. Maybe a mere RM20 more. I decided to trade in with Speedline rather than go hunt at Shah Alam to save that little bit. Try and ask la

A warning ... Do not go there with credit card. When you see the rims he got you may rnd up taking all!

I heard you mentioned Shah Alam here :listen: What shop is it? Currently doing all tyre stuff at MPS Sunway :top:

Forgotten which shop, tyres are cheap though. I will double check again which one it is.

one fine sunday morning, i was driving on highway....normal hwy speed. then suddenly the run flat tire indicator came out. I stopped car & noticed one tyre was almost flat. since its rft, so i continued driving at recommended speed & reached destination safely. no tyre shop open at that time to repair. so i continued doing what i was supposed to do with one tyre flat until I repaired it. that's how i see the advantage of rft.

bare in mind that changing tyre at the road side can be a hazard & dangerous. people got killed when car or bus run over them while changing tyre esp on hwy. Ppl might rob you at the road side. driving normal tyre while it's flat will damage i.e tear the tyre apart.

So, for safety reason & convenient, I would stick to rft.

vikes;777105 said:
one fine sunday morning, i was driving on highway....normal hwy speed. then suddenly the run flat tire indicator came out. I stopped car & noticed one tyre was almost flat. since its rft, so i continued driving at recommended speed & reached destination safely. no tyre shop open at that time to repair. so i continued doing what i was supposed to do with one tyre flat until I repaired it. that's how i see the advantage of rft.

bare in mind that changing tyre at the road side can be a hazard & dangerous. people got killed when car or bus run over them while changing tyre esp on hwy. Ppl might rob you at the road side. driving normal tyre while it's flat will damage i.e tear the tyre apart.

I second that! Bro Ashman can attest to that because RFT saved the day for him and his loved ones.:top:

vikes;777105 said:

Bro, how did you repair the RFT ? Replaced totally or you just pull out the nail or whatever and just patch ?

MarcoMeswara;781209 said:
Bro, how did you repair the RFT ? Replaced totally or you just pull out the nail or whatever and just patch ?

actually it was the rubber type valve that was torn out. so replaced it with the stainless steel type.

anyway, pacth job is the same whether it's RFT or non-RFT. I've had up to 3 patches in 1 tyre before. still ok to drive....damn those nails

Top Bottom