Ron Rating and Engine Power for F10

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Shotgun;706433 said:
As for this thread, I was initially concerned about the engine performance with the fuels we have here. I was afraid it would not be able to achieve the advertised 306hp and perform at a much reduced power output. I would conclude that its not the case here. Because they will normally tend to underrate their engines a bit. I also believe that BMW having so many markets around the world would have had the sense to design their engines to operate under a very wide range of fuel conditions and environmental conditions.

Even the diesels sold here have the same power rating as the diesels sold anywhere in the world regardless of fuel quality. And apparently our diesel fuels are quite dirty.

Please don't buy a diesel car Shotgun-you are not ready for the diesel revolution-please continue driving your petrol car. Stay far away from dirty diesel cars.

Shotgun;706433 said:
As for this thread, I was initially concerned about the engine performance with the fuels we have here. I was afraid it would not be able to achieve the advertised 306hp and perform at a much reduced power output. I would conclude that its not the case here. Because they will normally tend to underrate their engines a bit. I also believe that BMW having so many markets around the world would have had the sense to design their engines to operate under a very wide range of fuel conditions and environmental conditions.

Even the diesels sold here have the same power rating as the diesels sold anywhere in the world regardless of fuel quality. And apparently our diesel fuels are quite dirty.

diesel fuel burns much better than petrol and lower gas emissions plus under turbo, it gives excellent torque...

docrayboy;706689 said:
Please don't buy a diesel car Shotgun-you are not ready for the diesel revolution-please continue driving your petrol car. Stay far away from dirty diesel cars.

It would seem that my statement has been take out of context. I'm not banging the diesel engine or the fuel. Just merely stating the fact that our diesel here is "apparently" dirtier. The result of that is emissions that does not meet Euro 4 standards. Your engine is only as good as the fuel you put in.

By the way, I've also got an E70 X5 3.0d ('08)and I enjoy it. It is overseas and in the market there, diesel has better resale value and economics than petrol engines. Sadly, ask BMW here and they'll tell you the Xdrive 30d is less popular than the Xdrive 35i.

I've also owned several diesel 4WDs here from Jap brands since 1998 so I don't need to be reminded of the merits of owning a diesel engined car.

Lastly, the point I was making in my statement, if read correctly would be that BMW Malaysia does not publish different engine output capacities with the different markets they have globally. The reason for that is because their engines are designed to tolerate a very wide range of environmental and fuel conditions. So even though with our perceived "apparent" non Euro 4 compliant diesel here, the BMW diesels here still put out the same power as the ones in the US, Australia and Europe. Which would imply that BMW makes good engines and/or our diesel fuel sold here is not bad at all.

Shotgun;706750 said:
It would seem that my statement has been take out of context. I'm not banging the diesel engine or the fuel. Just merely stating the fact that our diesel here is "apparently" dirtier. The result of that is emissions that does not meet Euro 4 standards. Your engine is only as good as the fuel you put in.

By the way, I've also got an E70 X5 3.0d ('08)and I enjoy it. It is overseas and in the market there, diesel has better resale value and economics than petrol engines. Sadly, ask BMW here and they'll tell you the Xdrive 30d is less popular than the Xdrive 35i.

I've also owned several diesel 4WDs here from Jap brands since 1998 so I don't need to be reminded of the merits of owning a diesel engined car.

Lastly, the point I was making in my statement, if read correctly would be that BMW Malaysia does not publish different engine output capacities with the different markets they have globally. The reason for that is because their engines are designed to tolerate a very wide range of environmental and fuel conditions. So even though with our perceived "apparent" non Euro 4 compliant diesel here, the BMW diesels here still put out the same power as the ones in the US, Australia and Europe. Which would imply that BMW makes good engines and/or our diesel fuel sold here is not bad at all.

OK bro....action speaks louder than words.....go get the 520d and join us at our next convoy drive!!

docrayboy;706921 said:
OK bro....action speaks louder than words.....go get the 520d and join us at our next convoy drive!!

Sorry, got the 535i coming next month. Gonna enjoy my inner petrolhead while the fuel prices are still low. Definitely go diesel when Euro 4 comes cos then we'll be able to get the 535d.

Shotgun;706942 said:
Sorry, got the 535i coming next month. Gonna enjoy my inner petrolhead while the fuel prices are still low. Definitely go diesel when Euro 4 comes cos then we'll be able to get the 535d.

U ordered a 535i? Wow! respect, man! U got AP?

From BMW Malaysia, so the AP is from them.

The AP are not worth much anyway. Its the import duties on CBU vehicles that are expensive. So don't concern too much on the APs.

Shotgun;707301 said:
From BMW Malaysia, so the AP is from them.

The AP are not worth much anyway. Its the import duties on CBU vehicles that are expensive. So don't concern too much on the APs.

Tax / duties anyone can pay . Ap is limited that's why blank ap cost 30 to 40 k with blank ap you can import rare car. Again grey importer will underdeclare the car as second hand and make big margin

Yes, of course what I meant was in comparison with the import duties for the CBU 535i, the AP is not the significant cost. In any case,BMW Malaysia would have paid RM10k to MITI for the AP only because they have the franchise AP. For grey importers, they use the Open AP which allows you to bring in any grey imports. They also pay RM10k to MITI. Thats what I was told by a PEKEMA member. The APs used to be free apparently.

For me, willing buyer, willing seller. If they are sellng it for 30k-40k, it only means there are people willing to pay that price for it.

30k is for panel , non panel can go as high as 40 ~ 50k thus plus the 30 ~40k for grey importer margin so the car if sell at 250k cost is maybe 150k ?

and what i mean even got $$ to get ap also hard. the duties anyone can pay.AP not everyone can get. even TC euro as Franchise ap their AP is limited also.

dark1234;707624 said:
30k is for panel , non panel can go as high as 40 ~ 50k thus plus the 30 ~40k for grey importer margin so the car if sell at 250k cost is maybe 150k ?

and what i mean even got $$ to get ap also hard. the duties anyone can pay.AP not everyone can get. even TC euro as Franchise ap their AP is limited also.

What you are saying is very true. Not everyone can apply for AP or even get it. But funny how if you talk about abolishing APs under the NAP (New Automotive Policy) to level the playing field, more than a few forumers will get riled up. Its a sacred cow and even when the govt announced abolish it i think 3 budgets ago, they faced so much pressure that they shelved the plans.

Everyone knows the right thing to do is to bite the bullet and abolish the AP system. How many will stand up and say that they agree? Until we can reach a consensus(to abolish it), we will have to make do with this system.

Top Bottom