How to.... on an F30?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

c-square

Club Guest
Guys,Just got my F30 320d and am having fun with the drive. However, I do have some questions pertaining to the iDrive/functions which I am having difficulties with namely:1) How do I turn off the radio completely? When I press the round radio button, it merely mute the radio but not off completely.2) How do I turn off the screen to have it blank and only activate it to call out the info as and when needed? Because my 320d doesn't have the satnav function, the default screen is the set of menu which I don't find it appealing unfortunately (at times irritating, sorry that's just me). It will be good if I can just have the default screen with the BMW logo or any other wallpaper3) Is there a setting within the labyrinth of functions that I can turn off the "auto-stop-start" function permanently? I find it quite irritating whenever I stop at a traffic light and the engine just shuts off and re-start with a quiver when I release the brake. The route that I use daily passes through quite a few traffic lights and this "stop-start-stop-start" function doens't dig me.4) When I scroll the radio frequencies using the scroll-wheel on my steering, the radio frequencies that comes out are all rojak. How can I custom and re-arrange those radio frequencies to those that I frequently listen to?Please bear with me on those seemingy stoopid questions as I am an idiot when it comes to technology. Can't even work my smartphone properly. Hahaha

Hi...congrats on yr purchase of this beautiful car. If you want a simple operation , u can exchange with my e90 320d....just kidding hehe. Anyway enjoy with yr car n I m sure you will get used to yr i drive over time. My 320d is reaching 3 yrs and I still look forward to drive it to office every day...cheers

I'll take a stab

1. I have not found a way to switch off the radio. But then I never really looked for it. Quick check of the manual also did not turn up any way to switch it off.

2. Go to "Options" and select "Swith off control display"

3. Require coding, with a special OBD cable and Laptop

4. I think U will need to rearrange the order that u first saved the stations in the iDrive. Then it will appear in the same order when u use the thumb wheel.

Now I have my own question..... concerning the 328i 8 speed sport auto gearbox

Is the "sport mode" for the gearbox the same when activated via:

1. The gear lever by shifting to the right (S/M), or
2. Driving experience function when Sport or Sport+ is selected

The shift points change and the changes feel quicker but are they the same or is one more aggressive than the other? Does doing both 1 & 2 above make any difference at all.

Jason.

bro nice and clean ride you have and thx for ofering free ride!!!!

Thanks Jason for your input. Too bad #3 can only be solved via an intrusion of a thirdparty device. On #4, can you please explain how do I go about rearranging the order please?

i'm keen to address #3 as well. i'm too old skool for a gimmick like that. when i bring my car in for 1st service i'll surely harrass somebody at service centre to have it solved.

Bro Mizhan....let me know if you manage to do that, will you? Looks like we have got a common gripe.

For item 3, I don't think you can get BMW or an authorised dealer to do it, but worth a try. But there is a brother in this forum that can code it and also code other cool stuff such as DVD in Motion, etc...... for a fee. You can do a search in the vendor section.

For item 4, delete all your saved radio stations and "resave" them in the order you want them to appear on the iDrive and instrument panel when using the thumb wheel. Should work.

Jason

c-square;763214 said:
Nobody? sob sob

Pass the car to me for a week and I will tell you every thing you want to know about the car..

pss..sstt promised I will wash it everyday when it is with me..

jarance;763478 said:
Pass the car to me for a week and I will tell you every thing you want to know about the car..

pss..sstt promised I will wash it everyday when it is with me..

Hi there, Uncle Jarance. It has been a while. Finally I decided to come back into the Bimmer fraternity after a hiatus with a Japanese make. Actually, was thinking of paying you a visit to let you diagnose my car. It has this irritating rattling sound that seems to emanate from the dash area or inside the aircond vent (or so I think) but the service technician at Quill cannot find the source although he acknowledge the existence of the rattle which is not the typical clatter from a diesel engine.

When you free, uncle? Hehe

c-square;763715 said:
Hi there, Uncle Jarance. It has been a while. Finally I decided to come back into the Bimmer fraternity after a hiatus with a Japanese make. Actually, was thinking of paying you a visit to let you diagnose my car. It has this irritating rattling sound that seems to emanate from the dash area or inside the aircond vent (or so I think) but the service technician at Quill cannot find the source although he acknowledge the existence of the rattle which is not the typical clatter from a diesel engine.

When you free, uncle? Hehe

Aiyoo. nowadays working very hard in Manjung. Only back in Klang during the weekend.

You still have my number right? Call me lar.. we got eat Klang bkt..

Wah, got so many projects on hand ar you? Traversing throughout the country! OK, will call you one of the weekends when free. Yeah, I still have your number if you have not change it that is, ie the Maxis one ending with 79?

c-square;763970 said:
Wah, got so many projects on hand ar you? Traversing throughout the country! OK, will call you one of the weekends when free. Yeah, I still have your number if you have not change it that is, ie the Maxis one ending with 79?

yup that number also can be used..

The Auto-start stop is programmed to be always ON unless u press the button.. It is very annoying especially in malaysia where getting out of a junction is about timing and speed....

I read about the 3 party coding...but try only if you have extra money to rectify the problem if it doesnt work....

coz the car is very cheap in europe...if something goes wrong they can just simply get it solved.

but here... its gonna cost u....

red9five;768658 said:
The Auto-start stop is programmed to be always ON unless u press the button.. It is very annoying especially in malaysia where getting out of a junction is about timing and speed....

I read about the 3 party coding...but try only if you have extra money to rectify the problem if it doesnt work....

coz the car is very cheap in europe...if something goes wrong they can just simply get it solved.

but here... its gonna cost u....

Read that US Dealers have been authorised to code the ASS to "off" for free. Part of the sales service.

Jason

Top Bottom