Auto Start Stop (ASS) good or bad ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
anyone knows on how much would the battery be degraded by the ASS? cuz when engine stops practically everything else will be using purely battery powered.... problem is that our cars are fitted with a bit bigger than normal batts. i wonder would the "fuel eco" from this ASS is justifiable to the degradation of the other parts in the engine.....

Too many unanswered question arising from the use of ASS, am looking forward to the Last User Mode when it is made available

patgwh;795216 said:
Too many unanswered question arising from the use of ASS, am looking forward to the Last User Mode when it is made available

It's already available officially at the service centres, but chargeable of course.

i dont think ASS will deteriorate the car battery. the start up is not the same as you starting your car engine.

its the first generation of ASS for BMW. will only get better. how can BMW tell you that they managed to get 15% better fuel consumption from the previous E90 without the help of ASS? ASS helps around 10% fuel economy.

without ASS BMW has to use more expensive materials to build their cars and since 3 series is one of the cheapest cars in their line up. they wont spend too much money using pricey materials (aluminium, CRP and etc.)

I reckon there is no significant decrease in battery life. After all, batteries are meant to be charged and discharged. When the ASS is activated, the ECU automatically reduce power to air con, blower, etc to conserve energy. Engine wear is also insignificant as ASS only activate when engine is fully warmed up. I reckon, the only wear and year is to the starter motor due to frequent stop and start of engine. However, this is resolved with a stronger starter motor design specifically for ASS car. Of course the strong jerk during start up may affect the life of your engine mounting presuming BMW engineers have over look on this. And of course the frequent jerks may also affect your passenger experience when riding your UDM.

has anyone ask how much would the starter cost? i guess i will be a bomb..... and i think the fuel saved wont justify the cost of the replacement.....

Dun forget the engine mounts, coz the jolt during start up is quite severe.....

lazzydogg;795287 said:
has anyone ask how much would the starter cost? i guess i will be a bomb..... and i think the fuel saved wont justify the cost of the replacement.....

Hopefully the starter motor condemn before the end of 3 years BSRI.

splee;795152 said:
It takes some practice to get it right. It's all about timing. The trick is not to let your car come to a complete stop. So, when taking parking ticket, you have to act fast, press the button and take the ticket before your car come to a complete stop. I know this is tricky, that's why I said only to a certain extend. For collecting parking ticket safely, I suggest you press the override button for safety reason or you could practice active ASS override by stepping hard on your brake within one second after your car come to a complete stop. For traffic light stops at your regular route, you can control whether to activate ASS by controlling your car speed when approaching the lights. If you know that the light is turning green soon, you can decide not to activate the ASS by slowing down but not to stop completely. It's all about timing. And I find this whole process of pre judging the traffic ahead and control of the ASS actually makes me save more fuel as I would drive more smoothly.

I guess there is another way to avoid the ASS to kick in beside the above gentleman's brilliant practice. When approaching the parking machine or traffic light, once your car stop, immediate turn your steering slightly to either side, then the ASS will not activate. This is what I did whenever I want to avoid to ASS to function. Try it.

gsc102;795393 said:
I guess there is another way to avoid the ASS to kick in beside the above gentleman's brilliant practice. When approaching the parking machine or traffic light, once your car stop, immediate turn your steering slightly to either side, then the ASS will not activate. This is what I did whenever I want to avoid to ASS to function. Try it.

Thank you for sharing. I will try this. I think this method is better and safer than my method.

Would it be easier to press the ASS Off button to turn it off... it became a habit for me to press Start then ASS Off.

patgwh;795441 said:
Would it be easier to press the ASS Off button to turn it off... it became a habit for me to press Start then ASS Off.

Like this might as well send car for recode ASS to remember last setting at the service centre.

splee;795443 said:
Like this might as well send car for recode ASS to remember last setting at the service centre.

Yes this thought has been playing around in my mind

Top Bottom