Honey,i blew up my engine

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pussy

Club Guest
it had to happen to me, while i was waiting to overhaul my gearbox.:( it's my e28 M30B28 engine.. so, just posting here to gather some opinions to: 1. to overhaul the engine and gearbox- costs around RM6k or 2. buy a half car and convert to other engine makes- costs around RM7k+ RM2k labour.. thinking of plonking in a vee-eight 4L engine.. so what do you guys think ? some serious replies please..:)

pussy said:
it had to happen to me, while i was waiting to overhaul my gearbox.:(

it's my e28 M30B28 engine..

so, just posting here to gather some opinions to:

1. to overhaul the engine and gearbox- costs around RM6k

or

2. buy a half car and convert to other engine makes- costs around RM7k+ RM2k labour..

thinking of plonking in a vee-eight 4L engine..

so what do you guys think ?

some serious replies please..:)

V8 - using half cut - endless problem so far .. Maybe I got a lemon half-cut ..

Overhaul 2.8 - use 3.5 block - oversize piston etc. More reliable and easy to find parts as compared to V8.

M30 2.8 could be hard to come by.

3 suggestions,

i) overhaul the engine and g/box. Will last you another 5 years trouble free. Can introduce you to my mechanic who is damn good at this kind of job.

ii) Get a M30 3.5 and put the whole lot in. I know where to get one.

iii) Put in an M20B25 Manual 5 Speed half cut. Save on r/tax also. Again I know there is a good unit around. For you good price lah!

535i said:
V8 - using half cut - endless problem so far .. Maybe I got a lemon half-cut ..

Overhaul 2.8 - use 3.5 block - oversize piston etc. More reliable and easy to find parts as compared to V8.

Bro, don't play, play with V8 conversion.

wow, zam.. is the v8 giving you so much problems ?

uncle vincent, thinking of doing the 3.5L way.. but need to consider the next year petrol price hike..

overhauling is best way, but if can get a good,IF good condition halfcar of maybe e23 2.8 of a e28 3.5 is good, but where to find ?

another way is plonking in the M50B25 engine with the jatco 5 speed box,, smooth and creamy but i loose the M30 massive torque..

sigh...

depends on what u want to use the car for.
everyday driving - go with something trully reliable. just overhaul the engine.
project car - hentam saja...bhp and torque will help u decide.
if it was me, 2JZ kasi masuk...little tweaking here and there senang senang 500bhp.
4-litre v8 sounds tempting but i doubt u can get everything done below rm20k.

i told you the 1 touch window is way too new tech for the old sleazer......

my thoughts- since i know you, what you plan for the car, the way you drive

1. m30 3.5, get an auto box with it, all old skool type, with no electronics
2. m30 2.8/3.0 ,still available wif auto incase 3.5cc too much to handle
3. m20 eta engine, can still use the older autobox, balance with the rear diff

- all of the above are autoboxes, why? read on......
you already have a monster manual, -or going to be called a monster manual, as its still a slow coach at the moment, so this one you should do an auto cruiser

Hmmm........sounds like the car needs a new owner......ekekekeke

But seriously, I would agree with most of the recommendations here to rebuild the current engine. Buying half-cuts are like a crap shoot: you never know what you're gonna get.

Why not just get a 'kosong' M30B35 and make use of the 'yummy' part from it. Think about it, it will be much more cost effective and reliable in the long run.

That day in puchong ur car ok only rite .... u wack to the max ka till kong already

Pussy,

I believe they have all given you the options available. Now its up to you to decide on what you actually want out of your car- is it power, economy, practicality, daily usage, cruiser, autobahn stormer????? and of course the ringgit factor.

I would suggest that you look inside your current engine first and asess the damage - maybe its not too bad to salvage.

If possible,use the cheaper option. On a less serious note, lucky you didnt say "Honey I brought home another Bimmer". :D

Cheapest option, overhaul both engines and tranny, but that may not be the best option....nyehehehe. M30B35 is tempting......

was thinking of a RB20 engine.. now very cheap RM2.4k .. can be done under RM6k under labour costs ++..

hp is about 180hp++ with loads of torque... but wait.. my old engine is also pushing about 184hp's ???? but road tax is cheaper..heheheh

check already with fatty, costs about to rebuild the engine with new pistons,bearings, seals and gasket about 4-6k !! this is without the gearbox..

sigh...

what hitman says is true, a good engine would be reliable for everyday driving,
further more my engine is L-jetronic and troublesome tuning it.. some days like s.hit and other days like sweets in it..

Top Bottom