Free Meguiar Detailing Workshop - with discounts on products

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Oh my! Are they removing a layer of paint from the car? Look at the sponge on the polisher machine. Its coated with body color from the car.:eek:

Why DY's ride so low le? I thought he is on stock suspension, only upgrade rims mah?

Itu Johor kereta who's wan?

Can't wait to learn how to wash car.. :D Should bring my maid along.. :smokin:

the color on the pad is actually the pad's color actually. haha...

i tot DY put on B12s already... haha

astroboy;278631 said:
Oh my! Are they removing a layer of paint from the car? Look at the sponge on the polisher machine. Its coated with body color from the car.:eek:

Why DY's ride so low le? I thought he is on stock suspension, only upgrade rims mah?

Itu Johor kereta who's wan?

Can't wait to learn how to wash car.. :D Should bring my maid along.. :smokin:

No maids allowed.

astroboy;278631 said:

Technically, you are right.

Look up sanding.

Also, polishing will remove a fine amount of paint as well.

Anyways, you'll learn all about it at the workshop.

See you there. Leave your maid at home.

Eh! Why-lah? Only those two E90 showed up for the volunteer show car-ar?

Would be more impressed if Hypercoat could makeover an older model!!!!

With due respect to older cars, including mine, it's a detailing shop, not a body shop. Older cars typically have nicks and dents which ideally should be removed first in order to be a show car.

Secondly, the 2-day work is quite intensive and requires a good thick coat of paint. A car like mine for example would have a paint job judged too thin, i.e. not sufficient for the detailer to do a deep job showcasing the full lustre of their products.

Anyways, lets see for ourselves on that day what a fully intensive job looks like. I think Meg's has selected 2 good show cars to demo to us.

only compounding on a single stage paint will remove paint on the car as it has no clear coat on it. in the case of the 2 E90s there, i bet they have clearcoat on the paint, so compounding / polishing / sanding would not touch the paint but the clear coat, unless u over sand / polish / cut the paint. hehe.............

my 2 cents.

Lee36328;278667 said:
With due respect to older cars, including mine, it's a detailing shop, not a body shop. Older cars typically have nicks and dents which ideally should be removed first in order to be a show car.

Secondly, the 2-day work is quite intensive and requires a good thick coat of paint. A car like mine for example would have a paint job judged too thin, i.e. not sufficient for the detailer to do a deep job showcasing the full lustre of their products.

Anyways, lets see for ourselves on that day what a fully intensive job looks like. I think Meg's has selected 2 good show cars to demo to us.

Meaning older cars are not advisable to go thru this Meg's process?

No offence, just curious!!!!

Meanguy i think u no need to go lah since ur car is alrdy 10 year old, mine also 10 year alrdy so we noneed to go lah.

meanguy;278672 said:

i help Lee to answer as best as i can,

actually, the showcar is to demonstrate the best Megs can do, in 2 days. if given longer i bet it'll be perfect!! older cars can also be done, provided the car body has no dents (done by a body shop before hand as lee had mentioned) and a new coat of paint is on it (since got body work liao, actually old cars in good body shape can also be done). a too thin paint cannot provide enough clear coat thickness for the compounding / polishing to be done.

AlexNg;278671 said:
only compounding on a single stage paint will remove paint on the car as it has no clear coat on it. in the case of the 2 E90s there, i bet they have clearcoat on the paint, so compounding / polishing / sanding would not touch the paint but the clear coat, unless u over sand / polish / cut the paint. hehe.............

my 2 cents.

I stand corrected. Thank you AlexNg. If we cut through the clear coat, we'll be cutting through the paint. Clearcoat is paint without color pigments.

meanguy;278672 said:

None taken, no worries. In my limited knowledge, the approach can be tailored according to the condition of the paint. The decision on how aggressive or how deep (what type of products/strength level) you should go must be made bearing in mind how thick a paint/clear coat you have to work on.

For example, when I started, my paint job was in bad shape. It was not flat/smooth enough to show off the shine regardless of what products were used. After several rounds of polishing, it has improved to a level sufficient to show off the shine. However, my regular detailing guy refuses to polish my car anymore. He will only clay, seal, and wax it. That's it. I am thinking about getting a new paint job. Then we can start all over again!

AlexNg;278679 said:
i help Lee to answer as best as i can,

actually, the showcar is to demonstrate the best Megs can do, in 2 days. if given longer i bet it'll be perfect!! older cars can also be done, provided the car body has no dents (done by a body shop before hand as lee had mentioned) and a new coat of paint is on it (since got body work liao, actually old cars in good body shape can also be done). a too thin paint cannot provide enough clear coat thickness for the compounding / polishing to be done.

Good answer. Thanks AlexNg.

cppeng;278676 said:
Meanguy i think u no need to go lah since ur car is alrdy 10 year old, mine also 10 year alrdy so we noneed to go lah.

My car is also 10 years old. So how? Still can go what. I'm there to learn something about detailing, to get products at a nice discount, and to get to know my fellow detailing addicts. Not a bad way to spend a Sat morning and afternoon.

I was given first choice of using my car as a show car. I would love to to it. Free treatment saving me several hundred bucks after all. However, in the best interest of the purpose at hand, it would be only fair for the experts to select a car that best fits their criteria. So, the selection was opened up to whomever was interested and could spare their cars for 3 days. This was the result. I trust no one would have an issue with this.

Aiyaa... go there and ask the questions there la... u all making me excited only... wait la.. 2 more days only nia..

I hate it to know that there's never a right or wrong answer to a question due to differing perspectives.

"I want to choose E90 cannot meh?"

"Want us to choose E30? can, pay money la!"

These are all possible answers la which u will never hear from them la.

From marketing's perspective, u want your product to look good and a new good condition car, new model car, which can best deliver that message. After all, its FOC to the owner wat. Who's complaining?

Seriously, I did not volunteer despite knowing its FOC and worth couple of hunderds Ringgit service and my car is BLACK!!. As I have said, I wish to see the actual job to be done on an older car and these cars needed the job more than my 2 weeks old ride, but I'm in no position to pick la.

The detailing job sounds like taking a big toll on your paint job and that's the second reason I did not volunteer la.

Anyway, congrates the 2 who got picked for getting the service FOC which would otherwise cost few hundred Ringgits. :top:

Actually the original paint also require the job because the surface is pnly slightly better than orange skin. All newly sprayed car will go through this process to achieve an smooth surface. I learned for Discovery Channel that show cars are prep with more than 10 coats of paint and every coat is all being send down to obtain a smooth surface for the next coat, including the last lacquer coat.

the most important is ALL OF U benefit and gain knowledge from the workshop lor

shld thank lee & also BMWCM lor for using their banner cheers

DSC_03050064.jpg

DSC_03060063.jpg

Further sanding...

A 'Before' pic.

Note the fine swirl marks, especially evident on dark-coloured cars.

DSC_03150013.jpg

AlexNg & Astroboy; GHS is right that my car is on eibach springs and it is not so low. Just right for me.

Anyway, I was surprise too that they select my car. I never expected it. In fact I pull out from volunteering my car after knowing that they prefer dark-coloured car. I told them that the effect is not much on a silver color like mine as compare to any dark-coloured car. However they still call me saying that mine is the most suitable one after inspecting few cars that went in for inspection/selection. So... I'm consider the lucky one to have my car for them to do the detailing work :)

Thanks Lee for organising this so well and see you guys on Saturday.

Top Bottom