Engine Oil Reduce

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ganafania

Hi Sifu's,

Kindly need your advice's. Im having e60 (2006-Magnesium-Silver engine cover). My car reduce 2 bar engine oil if long run (more 300KM)Speed range (120 - 170). I already checked
there is a small leakage(not that bad).3 day once can see a drop of engine oil on floor. Currently using Total engine oil ( 5-30). If normal driving every 1000km need to topup around 300Ml engine oil. Seriously need solution for this. isit because engine oil? or something is wrong with the engine?
But I noticed if I drive speed I can smell, engine oil smell (Like oil boiling smell inside car). Started to worrying. Any sifu's can help on this matter?

looks like you may have an engine leak basing on the drops of oil on your garage floor.and also the oil burn smell whilst driving.i would hazard a guess that it could be your valve cover gasket failing and oil dripping by the side and onto the hot exhaust manifold

Leak could also come from the degraded flywheel oil seal. However moot could be absolutely spot on.

If the flywheel seal leaks, is there a way to know ? The rear is coupled to the gearbox and is completely sealed.
In contrast, leakage of the front seal at the crankshaft pulley can be quite easily seen.

hi tckhor,
if the rear engine oil seal is leaking you will definitely be able to see wet oil marks all over the place.the oil will find its way out.if it's bone dry then all is well.

Hello Moots,
That is interesting. How does the oil get out and wet the external areas ? Are there gaps in the housing between the engine and the transmission ? Thanks.

Hi Forummers,
Will the following wear and tear cause engine oil loss ?

(1) Vanos seals
(2) Valve seals

Ganabathi,

I thought you would have asked PKL to check the valve cover gasket/valve seals (or lube oil leakage) when they replaced your mechactronics solenoids.

:77: :77:Opss.. I seriously not that smart in machines. Always need a guidance to move myself with machines. :) firstly I really don't know how the oil gone just like that? I thought some of our club member had this issue previously and can get solution for that. So I don't bother it much and keep topup if the oil bar get to minimum.
Any idea? Seriously need advice before I go to shop. I don't trust mechanics much since they always want to get profit. So I seek members advice before I go to shop.

Ganabathi,

Lost of 2 bar engine oil for every 300 km should be considered as quite serious and if I were you, I would want to rectify it ASAP.

Ganabathi said:
Hi Sifu's, Kindly need your advice's. Im having e60 (2006-Magnesium-Silver engine cover). My car reduce 2 bar engine oil if long run (more 300KM)Speed range (120 - 170). I already checked there is a small leakage(not that bad).3 day once can see a drop of engine oil on floor. Currently using Total engine oil ( 5-30). If normal driving every 1000km need to topup around 300Ml engine oil. Seriously need solution for this. isit because engine oil? or something is wrong with the engine? But I noticed if I drive speed I can smell, engine oil smell (Like oil boiling smell inside car). Started to worrying. Any sifu's can help on this matter?

Oil burnt smell if can get from inside the car, it has to be from the engine bay or transmission area. It has to be oil leak onto either exhaust manifold or part of the down pipe next to the transmission, perhaps onto the catalytic converter.

Hoist up the car to check. Sure can find.

AB

Been using my E90 for 8 years now.. have seen all kinds of leak, front, back, up, down, inside, outside.. macam-macam..

Top Bottom