engine oil for E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerdude

Club Guest
saw this at eunos one utama. is this the legendary 'special oil' that bmw uses at the factory? this brand is from Kuwait i think. so the oil should be first grade.i've just topped up with one liter of shell helix ultra fully synthetic 5-40W, before the full oil service is due.

Bro, this oil is for older BMW engine. Its not suitable for our E90 new engine. Don't buy.

It only pass MB 229.1 ... i won't buy it
Get at least MB229.3 approval ( or at worst API SM , ACEA A3/B3)
Castrol EDGE has MB229.3 approval. And I believe is cheaper too

OEM oil spec provides by SC is 5W-30 BMW LL-04.. want cheap? want "special"? you decide.. :D .. and 5W-40 is a thicker oil then 5W-30, common sense will tell u what's the pros and cons.. :wink:

turbology;360106 said:
It only pass MB 229.1 ... i won't buy it
Get at least MB229.3 approval ( or at worst API SM , ACEA A3/B3)
Castrol EDGE has MB229.3 approval. And I believe is cheaper too
I found 1 particular oil that has MB229.5 but no BMW LL-04. Interested?

I only know Torco sells retail pack of BMW LL04 5W-30 on the market shelf.. and some of us are using it now :top:

i'm using the Castrol SLX 0W-30 as recommended by Castrol representative during the oil talk at Ingress...

feels that the engine lighter, lower engine temperature and more powderful also...hehe

t2ribena;360230 said:
i'm using the Castrol SLX 0W-30 as recommended by Castrol representative during the oil talk at Ingress...

Let me guess, you driving E90 ?

t2ribena;360230 said:

feels that the engine lighter, lower engine temperature and more powderful also...hehe

yup2. agree with u. castrol is recommended by bmw. but ingress is using syntium 3000, which also have gud effect on the car's throttle responds, gud under high temp n less sludge

i 've just changed to Castrol Powerflow SLX 0W30, so far so good! smoother than than the dealership's Shell Helix Ultra 5W30

has anyone ever try the BHP 5W-40, price is RM129, value for money. Can use in the E90 ?

Spaceman;360379 said:
i 've just changed to Castrol Powerflow SLX 0W30, so far so good! smoother than than the dealership's Shell Helix Ultra 5W30

Where do you normally buy your Castrol engine oil ?

etquah;434924 said:
has anyone ever try the BHP 5W-40, price is RM129, value for money. Can use in the E90 ?

This one they used to sell them for RM99 at the BHP kiosk. Seriously, I dare not use it even in my Toyota.. :p

Even the RM18x Castrol Edge 5w-40 which I got from BMWCW membership gift is too thick for our engine. I say you don't waste time..

Its common for Full Synthetic oil to be priced 2x higher than semi-synthetic. This BHP does not fit the formula..

Castrol Powerflow SLX 0w-30 only has one authorised reseller in Malaysia. That's Tan Chong SC. You can buy it from the Nissan SC over the counter. Even though no BMW-LL label but Spaceman is not the first N52 owner to give favorable comment on the product.... and its below RM200. I will try it too for my next oil change... cheaper than Torco SR-1 5w-30.. :D

If you look at the BHP ads, "BHP Syngard oils are blended using US formulations" In the US, semi-synthetic oils can be advertised as fully-synthetic. The price would also suggest a semi-synth.

Better stick with Shell Helix Ultra AB and Petronas Syntium 3000, the 2 benchmarks. I don't even trust Castrol all that far, as it's hard to tell where a particular Castrol was blended. European and Japanese blended oils are fully-synth if they say so, but not all UK blends are. Without the BMW-LL label, can you be sure it's a fully-synth?

A value for money semi-synth can put your car at higher sludge risk.

Yeah, that's German Castrol - base G-IV oil and additives made by German chemical plants. Nothing safer than that. :) Only Germany and Japan insist that G-III mineral oils are not fully-synth, although most of Europe follows the German standard.

How do you find it? SAE 40 not too thick?

Yup, I remember Spaceman commented its a little thick.

Found his comment here: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showpost.php?p=415248&postcount=134
Spaceman;415248 said:
had my engine oil changed this afternoon. well, not too bad. This oil is thicker compare to the previous ones. Travel at 120km/h, the rpm is a hair close to 2500. The previous if i not mistaken, is lower than that about 2350-2400rpm.

Taking from 120 to 160 is somehow not as fast as i wish to, felt a bit heavy...

Will see in a couple of days time, if not like it will drain out.

Schwepps;435075 said:
Yeah, that's German Castrol - base G-IV oil and additives made by German chemical plants. Nothing safer than that. :) Only Germany and Japan insist that G-III mineral oils are not fully-synth, although most of Europe follows the German standard.

How do you find it? SAE 40 not too thick?

after driven for couple of months, i think it feels so much smoother just like the 0W30...

but my heart feels really safe with BMW SAE LL-04 in my N52 powerplant.

astroboy;434968 said:
This one they used to sell them for RM99 at the BHP kiosk. Seriously, I dare not use it even in my Toyota.. :p

Even the RM18x Castrol Edge 5w-40 which I got from BMWCW membership gift is too thick for our engine. I say you don't waste time..

Its common for Full Synthetic oil to be priced 2x higher than semi-synthetic. This BHP does not fit the formula..

Castrol Powerflow SLX 0w-30 only has one authorised reseller in Malaysia. That's Tan Chong SC. You can buy it from the Nissan SC over the counter. Even though no BMW-LL label but Spaceman is not the first N52 owner to give favorable comment on the product.... and its below RM200. I will try it too for my next oil change... cheaper than Torco SR-1 5w-30.. :D

Bro, Tan Chong SC in Segambut or Jln Ipoh. Dont mind I ask, still new on this matter

Top Bottom