ECU re-mapping/program vs Piggyback Chip

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Daniel;203293 said:
so if chips are so good then how come all the pro racers are running Motecs and Haltechs.

Simple re-chip mar, but is chipping able to adjust igniction timing etc? Since a chip only plays with that ever the OEM chip is doing, it does seem limited in what it can give for high power applications.

I think you answered you own question:)

With Motec, there are more options for a racer....thats another topic altogether.

Anybody care to venture into the dark side.

ecuflasher-1.jpg

Price about 170 pound

Hey... I recall reading somewhere that the BMW ECU is allowed to be flash 8 or 9 times only. Myth or Fact .. aar?

ALBundy;203297 said:
I think you answered you own question:)

With Motec, there are more options for a racer....thats another topic altogether.

Yes, it's strange how people are still going for chips.

Guess it depends on who is selling what.

ALBundy;203276 said:
What fabian said is only 50% correct. He is talking about a closed loop situation.

When your engine is above 3000rpm (generally) and your throttle is at WOT position, the ECU will ignore the readings from the O2 sensor, and hence the open loop situation where the piggyback will be effective.

The holy grail is here in Singapore I was told. BVO apparently can dyno tune your engine and flash the memory into the ECU (for OBD2 cars), or for your old jalopy, can burn the new mapping into a chip and replace the existing one.

Hope this helps.

TQ... Wong Sifu...FYI the tickets are with me already.

Daniel;203293 said:
so if chips are so good then how come all the pro racers are running Motecs and Haltechs.

Simple re-chip mar, but is chipping able to adjust igniction timing etc? Since a chip only plays with that ever the OEM chip is doing, it does seem limited in what it can give for high power applications.

MOTEC and HALTECH are stand-alone ECU... and you can play with all the variables with stand alone ECU without having the stock ECU in the equation.
With Piggyback ECU, the stock ECU is still required to manage the engine. So I don't quite understand why are you bringing in MOTEC and HALTECH into the discussion, unless you got confused.

with chip mapping, you can change the fuel map and the ignition map just like what you can do with piggyback ECU. If there isn't any existing ignition map in the stock ECU chip, then the piggy-back ECU will not be able to change the ignition timing. Piggyback ECU can change A -> B, but if A is not present, then you can't have B.

Daniel;203494 said:
Haltech does have piggyback systems. Please refer here to familiar yourself with a Haltec PIGGYBACK product:

http://www.haltech.com/interceptor.htm

So i do believe it makes for a good reference.

Honestly, I do not know that Haltech has piggyback ECU. However, it does not have any bearings on my view. piggyback is a piggyback, it can only alter signals that the stock ECU can process. Rechipping changes the values at the ECU itself.

Which one is better? For me, rechipping with dynotuning is the better option.

Standalone would be the best if you really want the engine to perform at the maximum capability.

Daniel;195119 said:
Jerman, BS aside.

Here is the real deal.

Remapping your ECU or Piggybacking will only give you a temporary solution to your quest for more power. Its not a long term answer.

Why?

Because the BMW ecu is too smart for its own good. Overtime, it will 'relearn' and recalibibrate itself to counter for the new air/fuel/igniction map which your chip/piggyback has introduced.

Unless.

Your piggyback/chip had a manual override to prevent that from happening.

Hello Daniel,
I may disagree with your point of view. Only a piggyback would encounter the problem of relearning as described above. If you install a piggyback setup into a local car such as Proton Satria Neo, the ECU would fight back, too.

dylan;478975 said:
Hello Daniel,
I may disagree with your point of view. Only a piggyback would encounter the problem of relearning as described above. If you install a piggyback setup into a local car such as Proton Satria Neo, the ECU would fight back, too.

Yes, ECU re-mapping is permanent unless you reinstall back the previous settings.

Bro jerman,

I think I need to do remapping again. My last remapping was based on RON97 fuel. Now, I am using RON95. The previous remapping was not optimised for RON95.

anyone tried this? available in malaysia? need some cheap hp for my oldie 97 328... tq

Shark Injector OBDII Software: 1996-2005 Cars
Increase horsepower and torque in your 1996-2005 BMW
!

The Shark Injector is an amazing hand-held unit that plugs into your car’s diagnostic port and re-flashes the computer with performance software. The software was developed by renowned BMW tuner Jim Conforti, who has nearly 20 years of BMW engine tuning experience. The Shark Injector is one of the safest and most cost-effective enhancements you can do – offering features and results that other upgrades simply cannot touch. The Shark Injector is also upgrade-able through its own USB port, allowing you to upgrade to different software as your needs and modifications change.

Why you will love this product -
+ more power and torque, particularly in the mid-range from 3500 RPM to redline,
+ quicker throttle response, giving the car a snappier feel,
+ a safe increase in rev limit (great for staying in gear just a little longer)
+ smoother-running engine with fewer hesitations and dead spots
+ top speed limiter removed
+ true DIY install with step-by-step instructions (no downtime while your computer is shipped somewhere else for the install)
+ Upgrade and Restore features to install/uninstall on the same vehicle
+ Upgrade-able via USB connection with your PC - add a file to better suit your mods
+ Retains all of your diagnostic, service, maintenance systems and won't interfere with your normal maintenance routines
This software is a major refinement of the stock software. It makes the car much easier to drive with less hesitation, more torque, and incredibly smooth operation. A lot of tuning has been done at the low RPM ranges to improve response. The car won’t hesitate or lag, making the car easier to drive. And with the extra torque you can drive in a higher gear and not have to downshift as often. Theoretically this means better fuel mileage too!

How does it work? The Shark Injector makes changes to the stock BMW software in the areas of fuel enrichment, transition fueling, camshaft timing, ignition timing, and VANOS control to take full advantage of 91+ octane fuel. BMW ‘de-tuned’ cars for the North American market in the event inferior fuel was used. We reverse those changes to gain more horsepower and torque. 91 or higher octane fuel must be used.

How does it install? The Shark Injector plugs into your car’s On Board Diagnostic (OBD) port, located under the dashboard in most cars. At the push of a button the Injector begins communicating with your car’s computer. The Shark handles everything from that point on – reading and copying the stock software, re-loading its own performance version, and checking its work along the way. The whole operation is completed in under 20 minutes. A battery charger with a continuous 10-20amp charge is required (available below if you do not currently own one). Click here for installation instructions.

Click here to view the entire line of Shark Injector products for BMWs and MINI (2009 Catalog).

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/pages/Shark_Injector_applications_2009.pdf

hi bundy...

i heard mr prez BFG xxxx were on shark injectors.. would appreciate ur comments and any leads to this product locally..

tq sir

Top Bottom