E90 325i - First Impressions

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E46Fanatic

Club Guest
AB brought over a nice silver E90 325i for me and Andrew to have a spin in it. It was a silver AB car (Glenmarie) shod with 17" (225 FR 255 RR). My impressionsDriving:Started off testing the normal city drive and found the engine slightly rougher than the M54 on the low end. Then the car only had 1600 kms on the ODO so it may have not have been run it. The cockpit was rather small and actually feels smaller than the E46 when you are driving it. The dash reminds me of the Z4 both on the dials and the overall layout. The interior was black with titanium trims which unlike the E46 trims were cold to the touch (real metal!). The rear headroom and legroom is rather small as well and I was a bit dissapointed that the car feels no bigger than the outgoing E46 from the inside. If anything it actually somehow feels smaller??? Car came with rain sensor and since it was drizzling, it was nice to just set it on auto and not think about switching speeds on the wiper. Steering feel is HEAVY and well weighted compared to the E46. Small fat meaty steering with very tight steering rack. The car comes with Active steering so it was my firstime having a drive with it. No complaints and the car definitely feels more sure footed and nimble than the E46. And good news there is no more left drift/pull which was common on RHD E36/E46..Whacking it:Low end was OK, and there is no familar punch at about mid range 3500 rpms like the E46 325i had, but the car just sweetly pulls all the way to the top. Unlike the M54, the joy of the engine is really when it hit 5k rpms or so and it becomes raw, exciting and just thrilling. Its raspy, and when you're near the 7k rpm redline limits it reminds me a lot of the days of my Dohc Vtec. The M54 is significantly tamer when the tach is 5-6k rpms but on the N52, the fun is just begining. The car even with an autobox is less cultured compared to the M54 as it not as smooth sounding as the M54 when pushed. Instead it raw and raunchy and just the sound and feel of the engine gets your heart racing a little and the kick in the pants is up there in the rev range unlike the M54 which is roughly around 3500rpms. Although the max torque for the N52B25 is 2750 rpms, you dont really feel that thats where all the punch of the engine is. Its really all at the top but with very good (similar to M54 it feels) low end. We had 3 people in the car and it was quick already, so with just the driver and A/C off it should be much better. The autobox is not as slushy as the E46 as well and it was tight and responsive. Didnt feel the slusshyness of the tranny and power was nicely delivered to the tarmac. Handling of the car in turns etc was fine, and tracked well and was rather stiff even without sports suspension and 17" only.Overall verdictIts much more exciting than the E46 325i to drive mainly due to engine characteristics of the N52B25 where the sound of the engine is just so lovely at high rpms. It doesn't have the familiar buuuuuuuu sound of the M54 when idling and when pushed, it has a metallic soundlike raw from the tail pipes (more like the M3 here).Main dissapointment is the interior space. Its small man and doesnt feel big enough now for me. I expected so much more space and was quite letdown. Maybe due to the center console (front and rear - with air vents now) which made the car feel smaller. For Rm318k, the E60 523i is worth considering, esp when it comes to space and looks (I'm more of a fan of the E60 looks). Only if you want the full 2.5 ltr glory its gonna have to be the E60525i @410k... off my budget sigh.I'd wait for the CKD and hopefully SMG versions of the 325i first. MOst likely we'll see it around Rm300k and now even CKD you can choose interior colors yaay.

17" rim design on the 325i... 18"s are much sweeter to look at.. but 255 rears for 17 is good.

Dang! I missed the fun with Fun Jin... I saw a black E90 on my way back to Bangsar and it looks much better in darker colours.

Thanks 4 the Review. I particularly like the idea of the E90's top end being more spirited having brought the E46 325i near to its limit over the weekend. I also find it amusing you loathe the E90's lack of improvement in space contrary to most other reviews I've been reading. E46F, may be you're getting FAT!! Hahahaha!!!

No idrive for AB/Cartrade specs here. I was also puzzled why the space feels smaller on the E90. If you look at the dash design of the E46, the dashboard curves downwards and is curved away from the passenger in the front. On the E90 its squarish, and flat and straight like a ruler all the way from driver to passenger. This makes the dash seem higher and closer to the front passenger. Also the windscreen size on the E90 seems smaller, and the rear seat has 3 head rest with high back chairs, give less visible space inside the car. On paper it should be bigger but it just doesnt feel it at all. Also I think I am getting fat as well hehe.

The wiper controls are not stepped ie position of the stick stays with each speed selection which sux as you never know if its off or in intermittent mode (thank god for the automatic rain sensor function then). Also there is a 3rd stick on the steering which is the cruise control, ala Proton wira style.. which is quite yucky. Prefer the E46 design for the cruise control. Other observations, split A/C controls for driver and passenger (went back to E39/36 concepts here), very small dials/gauge area on the dashboard, cup holders for rear passenger extended from rear arm rest, and the nice flexible wiper blades (no wiper blade frame) like the ones found on the new volvos and S class merc.

:) wah..so u've sampled the e90 already huh?? i hope the engine will loosen up with mileage and bcome smoother..got high hopes for the engine.
i'm not a fan of the rear light cluster though the rest of the car looks superb.maybe a nice bodykit can offset the VIOS look from the rear! now i'm acheing to go test the bugger.. :huh:
oh yeah,the dashboard!! i don't really fancy the dash without the I-Drive binnacle cuz i think it looks better with.without the binnacle the dash looks like an afterthought.. overall in terms of looks i say the new A4 looks much better.

I dislike the rear light custer too. It shouldn't slope down to the middle. Level or slight slope will be better looking.

:D yeah..i think the e60 rear cluster looks just about right.they shud've used the e60 cluster as a base for designing the e90 ones.

Originally posted by supergripen@Jul 4 2005, 03:09 AM
:D yeah..i think the e60 rear cluster looks just about right.they shud've used the e60 cluster as a base for designing the e90 ones.
I am pretty sure if and when the E90 gets a facelift, the rear light cluster will get a redesign :). General opnion is not good for the back side of the E90. Its not ugly to me just can be much better. I remember when the E46 first came out, I wasnt a big fan of the rear light cluster also, and base model for base model (pre-facelift), the E90 is more beautiful than the E46.

:D hehe..went for a test drive in the e90 325i tday..must say that the handling was a revelation!! superb body control on standard setup no less..wonder how the sports setup will fare..
the engine however left me a bit wanting..maybe cuz it was still new with only 1991kms on the clock..made me feel good about my 328i cuz i believe my car's engine feels better overall..maybe with more kms the mag'alloy engine will get better,hopefully..

Went for a test drive on MOnday, the 320 and the 325. I feel the 320 is really not worth for me to change from my current facelift E46.

The 16 rims look terrible, the interior trim so plasticky.

On the other hand, if i do change, go to go for the 325 this time. Sweet man!!

Another 48K more for the 325. SO to keep my monthly payment low, if i do get the 325i, i will need to go for a 8 yr loan.

wat u think guys???

I think better deals for the E90 325i are on the way... When the E60 went CKD with the new engine lineup, it was much better spec'ed for the price and in fact price of 530i went down significantly with the new engine.

Based on AB's history, they will bring in better specs over time and give better promos and discounts. Now is the market skimming stage, where owners will pay a premium for the novelty of being first few to own the new model. If you're gonna stretch it, better just wait a while la.

Thats true. CarTrade is giving a 5k discount for the 325i. what do you think about the color, spakrling graphite or Black.

Sparkling graphite is most popular according to the saleslady, but I'd go for saphire black with beige/tan interior as graphite color (similar to my current diamond black) is a bit dull and doesn't make a strong statement as darker black :). Plus when you detail your car often, black really gleams.

:D IMHO its better to wait a while..the CKD is gonna be approx.15k cheaper..see what the spec is gonna be like and decide from there.
one thing for sure go for the 325i..dont waste time with the 320i.

I tot of waiting for the ckd's. but im just fed up with bmw ckds. I had the e36 and e46 ckds. They start rattling at the doors after 2-3 yrs. And I think for 15k more, its worth getting the CBU.

:) bro,i had 2 gens of ckd 3er and didn't have any probs with build at all. but its ur dough man..whatever it is,its a superb car regardless.. happy shopping bro!!!

Everyone is advising me to hangon first, and not rush out to get the car. I think you guys are rite.

Maybe I should wait abit and see how it goes. I mean my e46 is only 3 1.2 yrs old, with 38000 km only.

The nice thing about waiting is that it doesn't eliminate your options and just broadens it. When CKDs come in, you can still opt to pay the premium for CBU through Cartrade or Naza or even AB. At least you'll have a reference of what you could get as well with the CKD.

What I'd hope to see:

Sports Package with sports suspension, M body kit and 18" wheels (ala E60 525i CKD now)

SMG II/III transmission (wishful thinking here)

iDrive

A few of us poor souls paid Rm250+k for our kosong spec E46 325i prefacelift 4 years ago with manual adjusting seats, no rain sensor, no xenons, puny 16" 205 wheel/tyres, no DSC etc. As the years went by, folks were picking up facelifted E46 325i with full sports pack, bodykit, sports suspension, 18", sports seats, xenons, rain sensor, DSC, extra warranty for almost the same price (due to AB special promos). Pays to wait a little I guess.

Top Bottom