E36 Affordability

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
daan said:
Go for it. DOn;t wait until you are 70 and start planning to get it. Live ife to the fullest.

Hahaha. You guys ah. Then after he gets it, the racun starts. And when you start feeling gatal, nothing will stop you quite frankly. He will start staring at every BMW he sees on the road to get new ideas and whishes sometimes that he could stop some of them to ask "hey, where did you get thoses? how much ah?". Then starts buying all those magazines every week, starts to visit the accessories shops and THEN, actually it does not stop. It just continues...

Beemerholics Anoymous Membership is oversubscribed already... :p

Good luck!

Haa haaa... kena racun...
if u have decided to get 318i... hmmm... wanna install a turbo kit ? Hee heeee...
u can get advise from our best sifu in town... Brother Albundy.. u care to share ??? :)

whoa....i just can't imagine earning 4K and maintain an E36...:) no BMW if your salary is below than 10K.

azwanb said:
He will start staring at every BMW he sees on the road to get new ideas and whishes sometimes that he could stop some of them to ask "hey, where did you get thoses? how much ah?". Then starts buying all those magazines every week, starts to visit the accessories shops and THEN, actually it does not stop. It just continues...

Hahah, dude are you talking about me?
How'd you know btw? You been reading my mind?!

azwanb said:
Beemerholics Anoymous Membership is oversubscribed already... :p

Good luck!

Haha. See above. Early symptoms. And there ain't no medicine.

i wanted to buy a bmw since i was a kid, now i already changed 3 cars but still every time i saw bimmer i will be thinking i should get one rather than buying japanese or malaysian car( jap's car is good but doesnt satisfy me) . everyone around me will give negative impression on bimmer ( maintanace) , but they are not driving one.now my next car i'll sure buy a E36 318. i want to try myself how truth the statement is. i'll never know until i own one.

Dun buy yet...make sure you understand BMW then buy.
go read related thread on E36.

bobpuvan said:
i wanted to buy a bmw since i was a kid, now i already changed 3 cars but still every time i saw bimmer i will be thinking i should get one rather than buying japanese or malaysian car( jap's car is good but doesnt satisfy me) . everyone around me will give negative impression on bimmer ( maintanace) , but they are not driving one.now my next car i'll sure buy a E36 318. i want to try myself how truth the statement is. i'll never know until i own one.
Buying a BMW is not about rationality but rather a passion. I used to drive Knight, Wira 1.3, Wira 1.5, Pajero and now a e36 and a e46. If u can afford it, do it, if u don't like it, loose some money and get rid of it. At least u have done one thing in your life that u always wanted to do, than u can move on to the rest of your life. I had read somewhere that a Lambo owners only keeps the car for a few years than sell it off. With that, they can tell people I used to have one. Same goes for beemer, who knows, I might sell off both car and get a kancil tomorrow to save money. If u really want to be rational, get a 5 years old kancil. We can only give you opinion but not make decision for u. Like Stephen Covey said, u can make any decision u want but u cannot control the consequence. Good luck.

After spending some time reading thru 54 pages of Parts and Maintenance for E36 and so happen to find thread, my bigger head is telling to think twice. Hahaha.. I dont do sales, but I travel roughly 100KM per day as my office is in Klang and Iam staying in Cheras. No other vices other than drinking, and ICE(which I have stopped). I earn about the same as duck and here Iam still contemplating. Damn those Jap cars! Damn those Malaysian cars! :(

Interesting to read thru all these stories and advices from all the sifus.
My part of the story, always loved anything to do with cars since young and still feels not that old yet and had used cars from 850cc grew up to not that big but e30/318i/m40 and was 8 years since I had it, and loving with no regrets and if permits will go for bigger models when times are right, was jobless the last 4 years and still living with 4 cars minus one under restroration a sports car of the 60s. Ever since I got the e30 I never ask any advice from anybody especially not an owner of BMWs, before I bought it all non owners give a negetive answer that I am killing myself and actually before this I got an e30 320 for a short while sold it as I can't affort to see rust at 2 places, then got this 318 as a better body to me. Yap like Flash says use your head and go for it but be prepared with xtra cash as I do spend tons of money too earlier to make the car close to perfact and I drive dailly KL/Sban for years and some says I could buy a house with what I threw monthly then but now I less travel so nothing. I don't regret as I enjoyed it even now I am consider broke but still move around as long as I don't borrow anybody. My next target a convertable if god permits me can be any model even e46/330ic. Don't follow my style I wasted lots of money on cars from day one I had a car and wife gave up. I don't enjoy on other thing just cars.

Its just my point of view don't follow me.

oh my god...

was planning to get an E36 328i but after reading this thread.. i'm damn scared...
is it really that expansive ??? it's really hard to believe that it would take that much of money for maintenance and also that frequent..

i heard a totally different story for my friend but in this thread is totally the opposite of what he told me... with 5k salary also u guys said it is better to geta kancil and only keep the BMW for weekend ??? what a waste of roadtax money..

how much do u ppl who own a BMW earn monthly ?? 10k and above ???

Lee36328 said:
Let's see...

1. steering rack
2. gearbox
3. alternator
4. power steering pump
5. starter
6. aircond compressor
7. aircond cooling coil
8. resistor
9. instrument panel
10. abs? (some models only)
11. vanos? (some models only)
12. fuel pump
13. catalytic converter?
14. exhaust
15. chassis - creaks and cracks

Not to mention regular wear and tear items....

All the above are non-minor. The 325 at its newest (1995) is around 11 years old or more. So, periodic failure of parts due to old age is commonplace.

how much would that cost me ???

If you're married and your wife travels lesser than you... then let her use your 328 while you drive her car around over the weekdays.

Weekend, use it as your car lor. Roadtax for 325 is half of the 328. And 318 is only RM330!

Quote:

buy first la! coba bawa! kalau tak tahan... let go!
you win some... you lose some! kira nasib lu. ada lugi, ada untong!
dulu olang manyak cakap, itu Banyak Muntah Wang punya keleta, tapi itu olang sendiri tak pernah bawa itu BMdaberU. semua dengar cakap olang.
karang gua dah pakai, lagi jimat from my ford! tapi kena jaga macam bini no.2!
safety precautions... always buy sedan or aeloback, sebab ada extra buntut to protect the rear passenger. aku punya falsampah...

-Burn

syahril said:
oh my god...

was planning to get an E36 328i but after reading this thread.. i'm damn scared...
is it really that expansive ??? it's really hard to believe that it would take that much of money for maintenance and also that frequent..

i heard a totally different story for my friend but in this thread is totally the opposite of what he told me... with 5k salary also u guys said it is better to geta kancil and only keep the BMW for weekend ??? what a waste of roadtax money..

how much do u ppl who own a BMW earn monthly ?? 10k and above ???

I guess it depends on what kind of model ? Some people have many cars too.

As a rough idea shud be like this:-
region 50k car (e36) rm50,000 per annum income
region 100k car (e46) rm100,000 per annum income
region 200k car (e90) rm200,000 per annum
region 800k car (e65) rm800,000 per annum

Thats if you dont have other commitments like housing loan, non-working wife, kids, credit card debts, personal loan, etc.

duck said:
Thats if you dont have other commitments like housing loan, non-working wife, kids, credit card debts, personal loan, etc.

The above shud be quite sufficent oledi. considered conservative

Top Bottom