e36 328 twin tailpipe

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mienoz

Club Guest
sifus, i went to exhaust acc shop yesterday to replace my rusty twin tailpipe with stainless steel one. This is the moment where i've noticed that inside on the right hand tailpipe connected with some sort like 'valve' thing. What is that for? Thanksbtw, the job pending & the stailess steel tailpipe quoted rm65/pc x 2 = rm130

mienoz...stop!!!.....this valve is important for your low end backpressure. Without it you might not get full performance of the M52 engine.....
my 2pesos.....

post-30-1129085248.png

What will happen if we dont fixed the valve and does other end box such as sebring and remus come with this valve.

Originally posted by mrhartge@Oct 26 2005, 09:44 AM
mienoz...stop!!!.....this valve is important for your low end backpressure. Without it you might not get full performance of the M52 engine.....
my 2pesos.....

post-30-1129085248.png
wow... :eek: thanks bro mrhartge..actually called khalidm3 immediately that moment coz he came across this situation (cannot tahan see his rusty pipe too... :D ) and advised by his mech not to do so..thanks khalidm3

will this tip do the trick?

Somebody please correct me if i am wrong, but i think the valve is only to keep it quiet at low revs and on start up.

Look at the Hiop 328 exhaust and you'll see that the valve is not there.
Not too sure, but i think the Supersprint one is the same too.

I heard 2 theories.

1. it's there to keep exhaust noise down when idling / moving slowly (below 3000 RPM)

2. It's a engine performance feature that changes the exhaust pipe length i.e. flap close means short length for increased torque low down, open means short length for increased BHP higher up the rev range. It increases back pressure at low revs by being closed and slowing gas flow this helps low down torque. Then its opens at high revs to help speed gas flow through the exhaust to help hp.

But hey, I could be wrong…

the theory does makes sense and i won't take that risk of loosing the benefit...

Originally posted by mrhartge@Oct 26 2005, 11:29 AM
I heard 2 theories.

1. it's there to keep exhaust noise down when idling / moving slowly (below 3000 RPM)

2. It's a engine performance feature that changes the exhaust pipe length i.e. flap close means short length for increased torque low down, open means short length for increased BHP higher up the rev range. It increases back pressure at low revs by being closed and slowing gas flow this helps low down torque. Then its opens at high revs to help speed gas flow through the exhaust to help hp.

But hey, I could be wrong…

Dude,

A quick check on the Net revealed the same findings. But Slide is also rite as I've seen a number of after-market backboxes that does NOT come with flap and are louder both at idle and mid range RPM not mention at full-chat.

Mienoz, those slip-on covers ala AC and the rest are probably your best option.

Cheers,

Mienoz,

Where do sent your UDM to do the exzos thing ? Jaafar at Sunway should able to advise you on this.

YAzid

Most of the aftermarket tuner rear boxes are designed for manual transmisssion equipped cars, hence the absence of the valve.

It is there for backpressure to improve low-end torque and ensure that the O2 sensor gets an accurate reading. You can run without it as it is subjective to different drivers. Some claim that it makes a difference, others say otherwise.

thanks all..decided to remain the stock tailpipe but will look for the steel cover/tip. B)

yup..i agree.its for noise control for stringent euro noise regulations i believe.

i'm having my backbox changed next week and as far as i know most aftermarket ones do not incorporate these flaps..

Originally posted by supergripen@Nov 10 2005, 06:27 PM
yup..i agree.its for noise control for stringent euro noise regulations i believe.

i'm having my backbox changed next week and as far as i know most aftermarket ones do not incorporate these flaps..
if u bump in with 'slip on' steel tip for twin tailpipe, let me know k?... :D

ohh..and keep use posted on any change to ur exzos sound when u remove the flapper. :eek:k:

Top Bottom