E34 or E36?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by Iqlima@Apr 21 2005, 12:05 PM
Normally 6 cylinder last longer than 4 cylinder.
Mind explaining in what sense? :rolleyes: As far as I know, a 6pot depreciates much faster than a 4pot i.e. 328 vs 318. The reasons are quite obvious.... :rolleyes: :nyehehe:

I bought my E34 because my budget not permit me to buy E36. E34 is suitable for cruising and relax driving.....A lot of $$ to invest to make this 1700kg a nice sprinter.

I'll choose E36 if the budget permits..........

BTW, I'm a happy with my E34 ....not so Banyak Makan Wang...

What would be the normal price for the e36 318i normal maintenance? What would be the component that is due for change when buying the second hand car? Whats the usual fuel consumption in town and on highways? Comparing to e34 525i?

Originally posted by flagdent@May 1 2005, 11:15 PM
What would be the normal price for the e36 318i normal maintenance? What would be the component that is due for change when buying the second hand car? Whats the usual fuel consumption in town and on highways? Comparing to e34 525i?
Never own a E34. But I had a 325i before and now a 328. What is the most important is that which car touches your heart the most. As for me its the E36 as for maintainance it really depends on the previous owner how they look after the car. Its easy to spot if the previous owner love the car or not.

Age is catching up and I like well maintained good looking sexytaries in their mid to late 30s who is either been a failure in their lovelife, divorcess and widowers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back to topic and stop day dreaming.

Maintenance
6 pot maintenance is lower than a 4 pot. First of all, depending on which 318i you are getting, the first batch is running on timing belts, while e34 runs on timing chain (M50). Also not forgetting the air flow meter is also weakness and a common problem with the 4 pot engine. In other words even though the 30+ year old sexytary may seems to be on high maintenance, in actual fact she is quite self-reliant! :rofl:

LOOKS
Very subjective. Generally the e36 look better as its a younger car. But check out the interior where the E34 has better build qualities, a more comfy ride and if you get involved in an accident, lest be assured you will be in safe hands, relatively speaking. If you want the E34 to look uptodate, fix some nice bodykits and a set of 17inch rims. In other words, the sexytary with high heels, short skirt, some make-up can make the college girl look like a plain Jane :D

Performance

For the money you are paying for a 96/97 318i, you could probably get a 95 525i. Its not even a contest!! The 525i will have the 318i for breakfast :D In other words, size and experience do count towards providing satisfaction.

Whatever you buy, welcum to the club! :rolleyes: :D

me thinks e34 better buy... in and out, it's a better build car... it's in the looks department that it might lose out... even then, it's a matter of opinion...

Very subjective and Lee really nailed the issues here!.

Some people choose E34 strictly for its merits. A 5series, nice classic lines, well built, spacious enough with large trunk, relatively cheap to maintain.

I personally does not like E36 and think E46 is really a great car. E39 ?. No comment here. E60: cannot afford, la.

E90 is mixed feelings at this stage. Some angles it looks OK and nice. Others looks like a new Lancer....argh!. Interior is bland by any standards.

I like E34 so much, I have two of them!. A sedan and a wagon version. One manual, one auto as well. They are both different enough to be enjoyable and the BMW steering feel is just fantastic, unlike Audi or Volvo's "dead" feel.
:yahoo:

Originally posted by erica34@May 12 2005, 07:23 AM
me thinks e34 better buy... in and out, it's a better build car...
I think the build quality between the e34 and e36 are on the opposite ends of the BMW spectrum.

While the e34 is reputed to be one of the last over-engineered Beemers, I remember reading that the e36 was BMW's 1st attempt at CAD. Meaning the reliability of e36 components is "just sufficient" to meet BMW standards (which is still high of course). Also it was an era when the materials were supposed to conform to strict environmental laws and degenerate or "bio-degrade" over a shorter period of time.

Having said that, the e34 was BMW's transition into more electronic-dependant controls, so some of its electronics may mysteriously fail .... :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd go for the last batch of 525's ie. '95 / '96. The e36 isn't much better in the handling department anyway.

Top Bottom