e23 owners..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Nice ride, just not that original :) Got my rims from Klang, feels very good after on-wheel balancing. Just it's not that wide as I expected... see my rear tyre looked reverse-hikari one... not very satisfying to the eyes. I'm looking for wider rims very soon... ;)

Yeah my rear arches look a little bare also hehe
What size tire/rims you using?

Now using 265/35r18 rear and 235/40 front. Cannot get bigger tyres, even now the car feels heavy already with small 35 series tyres at the rear. Maybe after I get a bigger diff ratio then the car will feel lighter and use bigger tyres to cover the arches and yet still spin the wheels at traffic lights ;) Maybe for now the best option is to lower the arches ... :D Can't afford to lower the car...

Hello Syahruln, nice ride u have there...love ur rims man...how is the power using a 265 tyres? coz i ws thinking of changing mine to a 18 inch rims also and wan to use 265 tyres on the rear. Is it a 2.8L engine?

I was wondering more about the fronts, as am running 205's and the inside shoulders only just clear the shocks.
Probably wrong offset, but good to know can squeeze 235's in there.

Hmm dunno bout arch lowering, at least with spring lowering easier to change yr mind hehe. But can sympathise with the cash flow limit.

rims offset is very crucial....even when u use 15" rims with let say 205/80/15...the tyre will sangkut! but if u use 245/40/19"...still steady!

Yeah I inherited these blardy awful rims, as soon as I can track down some good priced second hand replacements will throw them off the Penang bridge.

I thought of lowering but then i did not wan to reduce ride comfort. I think mine is the smallest rims....14's....wan to know though, if i lower the car would the tyres scrub the wheel arch when taking a corner?

Well I guess the golden question would be by how much you want to lower. The rear arches are pretty spacious, but up front would be tighter. My 205/60x15 have quite a gap to the arch still, and thats pretty much a standard rolling radius as my speedo still reads spot on.
Looks like room for an inch or so lowering, but I think the guys here have done it and will know for sure.
Sorry rambled on a bit there :eek:

M30,
The 265/35r18 tyres is not that much bigger the my original 195/60r15, only about 4.5% difference. I don't feel that much difference in acceleration or high speed, but definitely can feel the grip. Now can only spin tyres in the rain... heheh... if you need to maintain the standard tyre diameter, you can try 265/35r17. It's only about 0.4% larger than the 195/60r15. Btw, my e23 only 2.5l :D

Nemesis,
What I mean by arch lowering is just modifying your arches. Only bodywork... make them further away from the tyres and cover the space as you low as you need. Not sure about the cost though, haven't gone for any bodywork yet. Car is not ready for makeups. It's true spring lowering is easier, but I'd put a bulldozer blade to replace my front lip first... hehe too many skyscraping bumps in my vicinity...

Anyone here interested to tt in the subang jaya area? Would love to meet up with u guys...ive got a shark nose too.

Nem, FYA....lowered ur car first as much as u can based on ur mechanic expertise....if the tyre touch the arch body.....emmmm...find a 2ndhand springs...replace back....and do it again...after that u will be the expert in lowering e23 coz u'd done several times...hehehehe...if not try to put 18"rims first then try to lowered it...

M30,FYI.....nope the comfort n steadyness is still intact with the car coz when u have a good absorber, nothing can hurt or steal the feels of the originals' condition...

All, FYA & FYI......tomorrow the Grand TT ( 2nd Friday) any takers....Syahrunn & I confirm!....convoy to the place, anyone?

Oh no dont want to be expert EZ, then people ask me too many technical questions hehe.
Had my E30 super slammed, looked great but useless over speedy bumps.

Would be interesting to see when if u did an arch mod Syah, mebbie E23 widebody??

Solly cant make the TT got a trip planned north of the border this weekend.

wellcome speedchaser....well i was thinking of goin for the next TT in syah alam(it is always there)...maybe u could join the TT and meet up there.

ez77....i remember ur one was a chopped spring right? that should actually reduce the spring rate which would make them softer. i am thinking more towards lowering springs....HotBits makes them, they have adsorber that is tuned for the lowering spring they sell. the spring i remember was about RM860 for all round.
i think i will get the rims first then only lower.

syahruln...i thought the 265 would increase road contact and would add up to higher fuel consumption and lower acceleration not to mention on a 2.5l. Sumore the tyres so damn expensive though it is not really a problem coz my car is not driven much...maybe 3 times at most a week.

Lets all meet up for TT?

M30, 265 makes your e23 looks fiercer from behind :) and it helps braking and prevents unnecessary wheels spinning after the toll gate especially when you don't have the lsd :) Our e23 most probably have no monthly installment nowadays, so I don't feel its petrol consumption is a major concern. Daily driving to and from my office about 30-40km doesn't cost as much as a new waja or wira installment, but the driving feels much better. I usually look for good traded-in ZR tyres (from those upgrade freaks), much cheaper and last me at least a year of high speed driving.

So far I've heard several ways to lower your car by "modding" your springs - Compress, chop or "burn" till it's lowered? Anybody knows what are the advantages and disadvantages of these methods? With highly inflated low profile tyres, I wouldn't want my spring to be harder... hehe... now almost feels like driving a drift car already... ;)

I'll try to make it to TT tomorrow... but will need some guides... hehe... first time there...

Syahruln...my car does not even wheel spin a lil and it is a 2.8 engine...is your one a manual? I love to have wider tyres but don't wan to reduce my currently good fuel comsumption(i get about 10L/100KM on highway) and reduce my acceleration with wider tyres( my car already feels heavy...maybe coz the engine is losing compression slowly)

Anything don't burn would spring....it will render your spring useless unless u wan to scrape every single bump u cross. i heard a 60kg dude can compress a burned spring with his body weight and could not do that with a new one. about chopping u can ask ez77...he did it.

U pass Ikano/Curve area? if u do then i can lead u if u don't wan to drive fast or u can join the E46s if u wan to drive fast. the E46 meet at the petronas station near Ikano or beside actually. u can PM me ur number but i am really not sure if i can make it this time...if i do i would come later around 11 maybe.

Here is the map to the TT place...
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10467

Sorry guys, couldn't make it to the TT tonite... last minute surprise... maybe some other times... mini-TT for e23s... ez77 still owe me some sate kajang ;) Oh wait, they have sate kajang franchise at Guthrie right? Sounds like a good place to meet and revv.. haha

M30, my gearbox is auto. I guess the wheel spin is mainly due to the tyres. When I bought the car, the tyres were at 80% but were pretty dried up - 9 months sun-bathing at the road side. 10L for 100km is pretty good. Mine from KL to JB is about rm80-90.

Syahruln, oh....i can't wheel spin even with a 195 and i have no LSD either. Hehehe...there is a technique to get 10L/100KM but it takes getting used to.

When u guys free ah? always wanted to meet up but like always tak jadi.

m30, ye ke? hehe maybe the last resort to spin is to get tayar botak eh??? ;) Aiseh, driving technique ke nak dapat 10L/100km? Cannot follow aa like that. How's the fuel consumption rate in KL? Mine can go as low as 10L/40km only. Daily drive Kepong-Bkt Bintang.

Syahruln, dun know lah the comsumption in KL coz i don't usually drive the car to KL...to menyakitkan...so many pot holes and stuff...not to mention the car does not idle properly once it is stuck in the jam. For the highway one u just have to keep the feet constant...for me i just keep the fuel comsumption needle at 10 all the time no matter what speed i am at. with 36 PSi on the front and 40 PSi at the rear u can reach 120-130KM/h on the flat...but now i am running 30 and 34 PSi...better ride comfort. My car is bearly driven...maybe 1 week 3 times at most.

Top Bottom