Common DNA: 2002, E30 and 1 series?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

TheFazz

Club Guest
The 2002 (along with the new class coupes like the 3.0CSL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_New_Class) was one of the earliest cars that defined BMW's modern position as maker of sporty sedans. These cars were often remembered as the pure fun BMWs. Very simple, very fun to drive.Then came the E21 and the E30. Till today the E30 remains hugely popular... a bit of a purist Bimmer. Its M3 version is still regarded as the M-sport icon. Now we have the E87 1 series.As a matter of interest do you think these cars share a common DNA? All of them are pitched as a compact performance BMW. How does the 1series fare compared to the E30 - in performance characteristics as well as dimension? Anybody own or driven a 2002 (perhaps a 2002tii or 2002turbo)? Do these two "newer" cars capture the same spirit?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1-series is not very successful. Cannot compare to the iconic status of the 2002 and E30. For that they were hoping on the Mini, but the Mini cannot touch the Golf GTI now.

the 1 series has the handling feel of the e30, comfort of the 5 series and the power of inline 6.

that is only applicable for the 130i. ;)

I had two 2002tii back in late 70s-early 80s, serviced by racer Garry Chua. They were one of the first fuel-injected cars available locally when cars like Alfa were going twin carbs. Maintenance was bloody expensive, Garry made quite a pile from me, that asshole. Its was fun taking on the Fiat 124ST, Alfa GTV and Datsun SSS but all these cars rot like hell. I know the late rock guitarist Terry Thaddeus had one because we both visit the same 'hospital'. Looking back in retrospect, the 2002tii is a pretty crude car - everything manual, no power steering, 4-speed tranny. Personally I wouldnt want to go that route again, I am too old and too spoilt by the modern conveniences.

TheFazz;224735 said:
irrespective of the level of the 1series' success... for those who have driven the 1 and the E30 and better still the 2002... what do you think of each of these cars' DNA?

the upcoming 1series coupe looks good though.

I hope the rear of the 1 series coupe is not the final version, coz it look like a Skoda from behind........but the front and side looks good, overall shape much better than the hatchback version.

Fazz, in terms of design I don't think the 1 series shares much with the older BMWs. The Z3 and the E36 compact are using E30 rear axle design though.

OSFlanker;224784 said:
Fazz, in terms of design I don't think the 1 series shares much with the older BMWs. The Z3 and the E36 compact are using E30 rear axle design though.

+1. And the 1-series cannot emulate the feel and aura of the 2002 and early 3s. It also didn't catch on big anywhere.

OSFlanker;224784 said:
I hope the rear of the 1 series coupe is not the final version, coz it look like a Skoda from behind........but the front and side looks good, overall shape much better than the hatchback version.

as for design... BMW is not likely to win many awards. But hopefully it would win in terms of engine and chassis.

as for the common stuff, yeah - the 1series does not share any parts with the others. but from a spiritual basis, i thought the 1series somewhat captures the brash & simple fun spirit of the 2002 and the E30.

modern 3series are a bit more mature in comparison.

meetoo;224785 said:
+1. And the 1-series cannot emulate the feel and aura of the 2002 and early 3s. It also didn't catch on big anywhere.

i am not sure why the ONE did not catch on. any views?

My opinion only...look neither here nor there...not hot-hatch, not sports saloon. :p

TheFazz;226389 said:
i am not sure why the ONE did not catch on. any views?

Coz of the pricing. The 120i is very close to the VW Golf GTI territory, and the 130i is close to the Golf R32.

First, 120i vs Golf GTI. No comparison coz the Golf is faster, looks better, more tuneable, and generally more value for money.

130i vs the R32, I think they are closely matched in almost every department. Down to whether you want a RWD or a 4WD, though the R32's engine sounds bettter with the famous VW growl.

Top Bottom