BMW E30 as a daily workhorse

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
thanks fabian for the advice....
so is it safe to say,for a newbie like me who doesnt want much trouble maintaining an e30, a 1.8L would be ideal?
the reason i ask is that, certain cars, due to the fact that their bodies are heavy,consume more fuel when paired with a lower cc engine, whereas a higher cc engine gets better mileage.like my naza bestari is 1.4l, but a 1.6l model has better fuel consumption.

it all depends on the state of the engine.... and the overall condition of the car..
But being 20year and above, don't expect too much unless the previous owner takes real good care of the car... Anyway, a good E30 is getting hard to come by. Good ones have been snapped up, unless got unker/pakcik decided to sell..

any car older than 15 years or more is same with all type of makes, be it JDM or Conti make, it's back to the owner how he/she maintains it.

Only thing the e30 is best bang for the money, in terms of value, trust, handling and spare parts, BMW still makes it.. others look in chop shops...

my 19 years old e30 never broke down on me once, never, it died saving me ..

end of the day, go get one...

pussy;618796 said:
any car older than 15 years or more is same with all type of makes, be it JDM or Conti make, it's back to the owner how he/she maintains it.

Only thing the e30 is best bang for the money, in terms of value, trust, handling and spare parts, BMW still makes it.. others look in chop shops...

my 19 years old e30 never broke down on me once, never, it died saving me ..

end of the day, go get one...

I hate to ask - but how did it die saving you?

Salut

solo;618806 said:
I hate to ask - but how did it die saving you?

Salut

if he was not driving his e30 on that day , he would not be here today ...that is what he meant by it died saving him

Since we are at the E30 topic, would like to know if the following is good deal:

E30 318i(M) 1991.
Engine converted to a M44 from Z3
Rust and Painting done nicely.
Complete Original Mtech2 bodykit
Original AC1 Wheels
Mtech seats, steering wheel, and nicely done roof liner & door cards

Car looks and drive very decent. Only defect is dashboard & meter cluster. Some little work on the brakes and suspension is required. Owner asking 20K. I would obviously love to build one from scratch but looking at the price offered and for building one with goodies above will cost me more than 20K. Care to share your thoughts?

How do you get all these interesting e30 out of the woodwork!
The m44 e30 you described sounds like something I would really like to have :p
I think I might have seen it on mudah.my before, silver color? I think 20k will be a fair price if the car is in the condition you mentioned, depending on how much serious work the brakes and suspension needs. Just my opinion, certainly not an expert.

2wenty6;619023 said:
How do you get all these interesting e30 out of the woodwork!
The m44 e30 you described sounds like something I would really like to have :p
I think I might have seen it on mudah.my before, silver color? I think 20k will be a fair price if the car is in the condition you mentioned, depending on how much serious work the brakes and suspension needs. Just my opinion, certainly not an expert.

Suspension & Braking minor works only. Most expensive fix will be the dashboard & meter cluster. Not sure if it was on mudah. It is something you would like to have? Well I'm having sleepless nights after first sight. Maybe caught by the E30 bug as well :4:

I remember there was a silver e30 going for 22k with an m44 engine in it with AC wheels and MTech kits, in Perak IIRC? Really caught my attention back then when it was listed, but too bad funds weren't available yet..now though..its something I would seriously consider :D

ICEMAN 13;618825 said:
if he was not driving his e30 on that day , he would not be here today ...that is what he meant by it died saving him

I know that la... I just want to know how it saved him. Was it a head-on collision, T-bone, sideswipe, merry-go-round followed by bumper car, car meets tree...?

After all, a car built 20 years ago before NCAP and all those safety features saving the driver's life is definitely better than a Kancil, Viva, Kelisa, Waja and all those MIM-Milo-tins-pretending-to-be-cars.

This can be a really big plus point in a daily drive.

Salut

pardypeople;619007 said:
Since we are at the E30 topic, would like to know if the following is good deal:

E30 318i(M) 1991.
Original AC1 Wheels

Car looks and drive very decent. Only defect is dashboard & meter cluster. Some little work on the brakes and suspension is required. Owner asking 20K. I would obviously love to build one from scratch but looking at the price offered and for building one with goodies above will cost me more than 20K. Care to share your thoughts?

Really really sounds like the car me and one of the forummer here went all the way to ipoh to see..... was it the one in Menglembu industrial area? ABX****?

If it was the same car, I believe the fixing is very minor and the overall condition was very very good for a car that age. Our fellow forummer here didn't take it as he was looking for a coupe.... as for me, well... the asking price was wayyyy higher than what you mentioned.... close to a e30 325i manual....

Cheers....

pardypeople;619007 said:

E30 318i(M) 1991.
Original AC1 Wheels

Now that you mentioned E30 dashboard & meter cluster, coincidentally, I've them both (in very good condition too) to let go. PM me if anyone is keen.

Apologies for side tracking...

Back to the topic at hand. Agree that building an equivalent E30 up from scratch to the condition mentioned + goodies offered will definitely cost in excess RM20K. Won't be surprised if its bordering on RM30K.

Keano;619446 said:
Now that you mentioned E30 dashboard & meter cluster, coincidentally, I've them both (in very good condition too) to let go. PM me if anyone is keen.

Back to the topic at hand. Agree that building an equivalent E30 up from scratch to the condition mentioned + goodies offered will definitely cost in excess RM20K. Won't be surprised if its bordering on RM30K.

never end at 30k.......

Keano;619446 said:

yo keano,

it's me, we met at the accessory shop beside my office remember? so, you sold the car already?

pumpkin76;619565 said:
yo keano,

it's me, we met at the accessory shop beside my office remember? so, you sold the car already?

Hey Pumpkin,

Nope, didn't sell my car. Instead I spent more money on it & as datsunnismo says, it never ends. Already spent waaay above the supposedly "market value" of the car, so how to sell lah?

You still shopping/hunting for an E30?

Most of us having an E30 will need to have really solid reason to sell... bcos there aren't many replacement car to get for the same amount it can be sold for... It's a collector's item...

fabianyee;619642 said:
Most of us having an E30 will need to have really solid reason to sell... bcos there aren't many replacement car to get for the same amount it can be sold for... It's a collector's item...

I'm not 100% & absolutely convinced but I like your train of thought coz that's what I wanted to hear too. Haha.

My 2cents calculation. Assumptions made are purely to my peanut knowledge level:

E30 318i(M) 1991. = Stock Standard arnd RM13k
Engine converted to a M44 from Z3 = RM5k
Rust and Painting done nicely. = RM4k
Complete Original Mtech2 bodykit = RM3.5k
Original AC1 Wheels = RM2k
Mtech seats, steering wheel, and nicely done roof liner & door cards = RM3.5k

Total gross value = RM31k
Cost of brake repairs & other wear & tear = RM3k
Total nett value = RM28k
Puchase price after negotiation = RM18k (best case scenario i presume)
Your gain = 1) RM10k
2) Living ur dreams in owning & driving a legendary model (E30) which is priceless

The ball is your court. You decide...........:top:

Top Bottom