Beware of flimsy guard rails along our highways

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

okow

Club Guest
In just a span of 2 weeks I noticed 2 accidents of vehicles that crashed through the flimsy 'guard rails' along our highways. The first incident was about 2 weeks ago when a car crashed through and 'flew' off the NKVE.. near the Bukit Jelutong turn off. Unfortunately for the driver, this part of the highway was elevated and the car plunged at least 30 feet down all twisted and mangled. Not sure if anyone survived that crash.This morning while it was raining another vehicle crashed through along the NKVE again but this time it was near Aman Suria... this caused the jam to be backed up till Sg Buloh R&R. I coudnt see any vehicle...just the smashed through guard rails and firemen climbing down the slope. Again, I hope there were no fatalities.These guard rails I am referring to is not to be mistake to the stronger 'armco's' type barriers along our highways that we have too. You will notice that at sections where there arent armco's they have rails that look like what we use in houses as gates only that these are slightly larger. Normally found along bridges and elevated highways.Question is..if they are that flimsy why then are we using them on our highways? They didnt look like they managed to prevent the car from flying off. And if its not meant to prevent that from happening..then why have them in the first place.?Drive carefully.

This morning was freaking jam in PJ LDP, but not my direction.. :p heard there's an accident in Jalan Duta, thanks to the wet morning, heard there was another car plunge accident there.

Caught the following in Subang last month during lunch hour.. with an occasional shower, road looks dry. Another example of failing armco, the poor Rexton made a jump and did a somersault, then landed belly up.. :(

Not one but 2 accidents there, further down was a silver Corolla SEG jumped over divider and got hit by a dark blue stream... freak accidents! "Final Destination" :eek:

rex2.jpg

rex3.jpg

Flimsy guard rail or not, drive carefully regardless. And really, REALLY slow down in the rain guys. No amount of DSC can save you from mother nature. ^^

If you notice, most the metal guard are replace by concrete block that are shaped like trapezoid.

These are good for launching your car into mid-air if you happened to drive into them..

these guard rails are meant to be deformed and to absorb the energy and to slow down the vehicle...the trapezoidal barriers are called the jerseys and are solid concrete...hit one of this and the car is history..

Do take note also, it is 7th month in Chinese calender! Drive more carefully.

astroboy;449950 said:
This morning was freaking jam in PJ LDP, but not my direction.. :p heard there's an accident in Jalan Duta, thanks to the wet morning, heard there was another car plunge accident there.

Caught the following in Subang last month during lunch hour.. with an occasional shower, road looks dry. Another example of failing armco, the poor Rexton made a jump and did a somersault, then landed belly up.. :(

Not one but 2 accidents there, further down was a silver Corolla SEG jumped over divider and got hit by a dark blue stream... freak accidents! "Final Destination" :eek:

rex2.jpg

rex3.jpg

That bend which the car flew from is a tightening lefthander. No doubt a number of cars have left marks on the rails... And in this case, slippery road and a 2 ton 4WD, the steel guard rail won't stand a chance...

fabianyee;449987 said:
That bend which the car flew from is a tightening lefthander. No doubt a number of cars have left marks on the rails... And in this case, slippery road and a 2 ton 4WD, the steel guard rail won't stand a chance...

Luckily didnt land on some pedestrian, motorcyclist or a some driver going 'topless'

it's a combination of driver's perception of "invincibility" (or stupidity) and also the fact that the road was rerouted after the construction of the intersection, consequently made it a tightening bend.
However the new intersection did get rid of the traffic light controlled intersection which reduced the peak hour jam now.

tis is Malaysia Boleh! Rail tendered for Rm30, u take Rm10, i take Rm10, Rm10 for the rail.

VKS;450856 said:
attachment.php

:top::top::top:

Sorry, in Malaysia - this is not 100% true..... DRIVE SAFELY, respect the road, the conditions and most of all OTHER ROAD USERS! ( including pedestrians )

Who have to drive safely - the DRIVER, who have to respect the road and the conditions - the DRIVER , who have to watchout for other road users - the DRIVER too...

so pls read the phrase again...

Top Bottom