2 burnt to death in BMW crash!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;345219 said:
The DSC is just an enhance version of the ASC+T, which itself is Automatic Stability Control + Traction while DSC is Dynamic Stability Control consolidated with Dynamic Traction Control, All-in-one.

Click More on DSC vs ASC+T write up..

Let me elaborate more on this and explain in layman terms.

ASC was the primitive form of stability control, whereby when the wheel sensors sense the car is skidding, power to the engine will be cut-off.

Then we have ASC+Traction. ASC+T could help in an understeering situation where it can automatically apply individual braking on the rear brakes (right or left independently, depending the direction of the skid).

As for DSC, brakes can also be applied independently on the front brakes, which means it will help in an over-steering situation by creating a counter momentum to steer the car back in line and help the driver to regain control.

DTC is a subset function of DSC. It is basically a form of traction control setting. In DSC setting, the ECU will intervene at 15% wheel slip. With DTC engaged, the ECU will only intervene at 20% wheel slip, so the driver could have a more spirited drive on the track and if he chooses to, he can also completely switch off DSC, which many other makes won't allow you to do so.

Hope this explains the whole ASC, ASC+T and DSC gizmos.

That being said, all these electronic driver aids will only increase the safety threshold but will not be able to overcome the Laws of Physics.

Drive safely!!

Cheers

astroboy;345205 said:
For the E46, those who experience a ZKE module failure know what to do.

Only the the driver side door can be opened and if that door is crushed... :eek: aiyoo....

hi astroboy could you elaborate further on the ZKE module failure? does it only affect e46 or other BMW as well?

leforte;343505 said:
Most would be quick to say that any accident happens because of driver negligence... but for this i can tell you to blame it on the fools at the road works department who designed the road with a slopping negative bank angle on this right hand curve as oppose to one with the correct positive bank angel.

Firstly al-fatihah for our brethren. Occurences like these serve as a chilling reminder that we are merely mortal, even behind the facade of our machines.

I agree with leforte to some extent, however speeds such as those driven by our unfortunate brothers were never foreseen by road designers. It should have been accounted for, but in the first place it is an offense to go above the speed limit there which I believe is 70kph.

I'm not patronising here, I myself frequent that stretch at high speeds. I do notice a slight "lift" of my steering wheel when I traverse that particular bend where the accident occured.

Also if you see a silver e36 with a WFG registration number at that corner during late nights, do give a friendly honk :p

Edit: Forgot this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=16LSqhi5COk

One could still see the tire marks leading to the site of the accident.

Judging from the length of the skid marks, and the force of the impact that ripped off the armco I believe the car was easily travelling in the region of 180-200km/hr.

R.I.P

Mr Stig,

U should be used to such "lift" in your steering - u r the Pro from Top Gear rite?

If you drive a Porsche 911 - such vagueness is also normal - even on perfect straight level road and especially on power. HOW THEN? CAR PROBLEM? or you learn to accept that your 1+ millon supercar needs some capable hands....?

180 - 200kph is asking for it...scrape marks on concrete divider also visible....and I believe he turned in too early......if only he knew what we instructors mean by LATE APEX....

Bundy - u r a civil engineer rite? Shame on you-lar! They want BILLIARD SMOOTH ROADS! Ha ha ha

Jules;345667 said:
Bundy - u r a civil engineer rite? Shame on you-lar! They want BILLIARD SMOOTH ROADS! Ha ha ha

Me work at the engine lar....

Billiard smooth roads would be good for over/under steering exercises:top:

U need more down force at the front. Increase the front spoiler angle by 2 degree if u want to use this stretch of the road.

astroboy - left foot braking helps.....but try at your own risk ha!

Jules;345918 said:
astroboy - left foot braking helps.....but try at your own risk ha!

Yeah rite! transfer some CG to the front.. then the F1 cars no need front wing lio.. :eek:

Over do it and u will kiss ur rear good bye man!

come on guys...jokes on any thread but not on ones like this where 2 people died. astroboy can u tell us more about the ZKE module failure? is e60 affected?

Actually all these are advance driving techniques which our driving instructor had no clue of when we learned to drive those days. Too bad how it ends for our friends and I guess one point is proven and that's "speed does not kill but stupidity does". 180kph-200kph at that stretch is absolutely unforgiving, even Stig can't survive! ... and I do admit I'm no exception..

Back to ZKE module.. that's one of the many ECUs (Electronic Control Unit) in our BMWs that mainly control the central lock, immobilizer, power windows and sun roof. Otherwise u think so syiok ah? Hold on to your remote unlock button, u get to wind down all windows plus sun roof while hold on to the lock button, u get to wind up all windows.

I doubt E36 has it because my ex-E36 only comes with a key with torch light, now that's a super cool feature. However, starting from the E46... that's where I noticed this ZKE module and its problematic because I have seen quite a few failed, even in the warrantied E90 and it cost more than a thousand to replace it. E60 confirm ada. Try hold on to your remote unlock button for 5 sec and see if all your windows unwind themselves?! and the other way round to wind up the window... cool feature huh!? :D U will also notice your front passenger door do not have a key hole outside, now u know why? Because its not meant to be open from outside with a key! Its all managed by the ZKE..

BTW, if this ZKE fail, even your fuel cap also won't open, u do know the manual overwrite latch do u?

wei! what so cool abt press button window can open & close? My Juara also got this featurelah dei....some more if window never close after alarm is activated, after few minutes window auto close.....cabutzzzzzzz:bootyshake:

XXX;346120 said:
wei! what so cool abt press button window can open & close? My Juara also got this featurelah dei....some more if window never close after alarm is activated, after few minutes window auto close.....cabutzzzzzzz:bootyshake:

Good one, Juara can buy!!!

Juara is a car with designs ahead of time, too bad its a little over advance for us Malaysian to appreciate. We complaint it's box-y but if you visited Japan before, u notice they love this car and plenty on the road. They say its "beautiful"! Malaysian are less trendy and living behind time, I have to admit.

astroboy;346104 said:
Actually all these are advance driving techniques which our driving instructor had no clue of when we learned to drive those days. Too bad how it ends for our friends and I guess one point is proven and that's "speed does not kill but stupidity does". 180kph-200kph at that stretch is absolutely unforgiving, even Stig can't survive! ... and I do admit I'm no exception..

Back to ZKE module.. that's one of the many ECUs (Electronic Control Unit) in our BMWs that mainly control the central lock, immobilizer, power windows and sun roof. Otherwise u think so syiok ah? Hold on to your remote unlock button, u get to wind down all windows plus sun roof while hold on to the lock button, u get to wind up all windows.

I doubt E36 has it because my ex-E36 only comes with a key with torch light, now that's a super cool feature. However, starting from the E46... that's where I noticed this ZKE module and its problematic because I have seen quite a few failed, even in the warrantied E90 and it cost more than a thousand to replace it. E60 confirm ada. Try hold on to your remote unlock button for 5 sec and see if all your windows unwind themselves?! and the other way round to wind up the window... cool feature huh!? :D U will also notice your front passenger door do not have a key hole outside, now u know why? Because its not meant to be open from outside with a key! Its all managed by the ZKE..

BTW, if this ZKE fail, even your fuel cap also won't open, u do know the manual overwrite latch do u?

Isnt the system designed so that the doors unlock upon impact from a crash?

That I'm not so sure and I doubt anyone would want to try it out..

I remember my friend's 1.9L E46 which had that problem came took me for "yam cha", I had to climb in from the driver's seat to get to the passenger seat, damn "ma fan". Only drivers door can open. All other doors and windows cannot function, be it from the inside.. :(

BMW sucks...i would rather have my life than the convenience to unwind my windows with the remote. hopefully they are reading this and would take necessary corrective action to prevent more lives from vanishing for the stupidest reason. i wonder if anyone ever sued them for this? usually these big boys only learn to change after losing a court case...like the infamous 'mcdonald coffee burnt my thigh' case

Top Bottom