Anyone owns a CBU (grey import) E60 LCI with N53 engine here?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Power loss /jerk/misfire - car age about 20 months -corrected with piezo replacement -

aoch88;733366 said:
My pleasure to help boss :) Btw, he can also consider getting those CKD 523i LCI which is going around his budget (RM170-190K). The LCI engine on 523i produces more or less the same horse power (190bhp) as pre facelift 525i. Literally you can say the LCI 523i = pre-LCI 525i in terms of engine performance. After that, spend a bit of money buying the BMS Powerbox and you will have a fun and spirited driving.

Broaoch88 I am totally ignorant about whether my e60 is n53 or what ever, just bought it becoz I just love bm, its design & now performance, been with MB Kompressor for many years, bought an e60 msport uk spec registered in 2006, manufactured in 2005, just 3 months ago and enjoying my driving now, but I am not sure whether mine is LCI with n53 engine. but it seems to need engine oil top-up at least 2x between 10k mileage. I will certainly want to catch up and belanja u TT to learn from you on this e60 beast!. hope to hear from u. thanks.

cafee;735279 said:
Power loss /jerk/misfire - car age about 20 months -corrected with piezo replacement -

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I spend a lot of time going to the workshop where my friend works (they deal with BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, etc). There are indeed problems with N53 but there are just as much with N52's as well :) If the injector is faulty, the engine check light will come up. If you're talking about "fuel mixture too lean" error code which contributes to jerking, the culprit is the top engine cover (there is a ventilation valve built inside). Replacing that would resolve the issue. BMW also has a recall campaign for the Piezo injectors and you can know if yours is the latest revision based on the part number.

Major Noh;735312 said:
Broaoch88 I am totally ignorant about whether my e60 is n53 or what ever, just bought it becoz I just love bm, its design & now performance, been with MB Kompressor for many years, bought an e60 msport uk spec registered in 2006, manufactured in 2005, just 3 months ago and enjoying my driving now, but I am not sure whether mine is LCI with n53 engine. but it seems to need engine oil top-up at least 2x between 10k mileage. I will certainly want to catch up and belanja u TT to learn from you on this e60 beast!. hope to hear from u. thanks.

Yo boss, yours should be N52 engine because N53 only exists for LCI models (year 2007 and above). The N52 is well known for such engine oil issues. What viscosity oil are you using? It would be good if you use thicker viscosity oil like 10W - 40W or 15W - 40W whereby it could potentially reduce/solve the missing engine oil problem.

aoch88;735387 said:
Thanks for the feedback. Actually I spend a lot of time going to the workshop where my friend works (they deal with BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, etc). There are indeed problems with N53 but there are just as much with N52's as well :) If the injector is faulty, the engine check light will come up. If you're talking about "fuel mixture too lean" error code which contributes to jerking, the culprit is the top engine cover (there is a ventilation valve built inside). Replacing that would resolve the issue. BMW also has a recall campaign for the Piezo injectors and you can know if yours is the latest revision based on the part number.

Thanks - was worried about it recurring so have since moved to the F10. i was spared the HPFP though.

I still have my older M54B E60.

I think it's not about the model but more towards the engine :) UK specs F10 are also N53.

aoch88;735387 said:

Yo boss, yours should be N52 engine because N53 only exists for LCI models (year 2007 and above). The N52 is well known for such engine oil issues. What viscosity oil are you using? It would be good if you use thicker viscosity oil like 10W - 40W or 15W - 40W whereby it could potentially reduce/solve the missing engine oil problem.

Yo Bro aoch88, thank you very much for lesson 1, at least am aware that my engine is n52 and of course I can agree with you and it make sense that I should use higher viscosity oil as your thoughtful & wise suggestion. Am using 5w - 15w currently, always have 1 lit standby waiting for signal for topping up. Am learning slowly, thanks bro.

Major Noh;735433 said:
Yo Bro aoch88, thank you very much for lesson 1, at least am aware that my engine is n52 and of course I can agree with you and it make sense that I should use higher viscosity oil as your thoughtful & wise suggestion. Am using 5w - 15w currently, always have 1 lit standby waiting for signal for topping up. Am learning slowly, thanks bro.

No worries boss and it's my pleasure :) I would be more than happy to share my knowledge and I hope you have a pleasant experience with your new BMW :D

aoch88;735506 said:
No worries boss and it's my pleasure :) I would be more than happy to share my knowledge and I hope you have a pleasant experience with your new BMW :D

Bro, old BMW new owner...hehehe...nevertheless they are 2.5lit and I'm already getting acquittance with it and I guess its the best car that I've ever own, thanks, there are lots of other thing which I will need further clarification/understanding on this n52 beast, will need to catch up with you one day for TT or equivalent. Thanks again bro:top:

if your e60 is manufactured prior to Sept 2005, then your car should have the M54Bx engine...

Major Noh;735312 said:

on my previous N52, I did 135k km on it without issues and engine oil consumption...did oil service every 7 to 8k km...

all the hoo haa that N52 no good is those who practice 15k km or more service interval...it is just not possible in our climate...

one of the best engine around...N53 likewise is a good engine but when it is operated with the non-recommended fuel, and issues arises its not the problem with the engine...its the operator...

What engine oil did you use, and what viscosity, may i ask? Would like to try what u are using.

I used the Castrol SLX Powerflow 0W-30...bought from Nissan SC...

TheTaj;735732 said:
What engine oil did you use, and what viscosity, may i ask? Would like to try what u are using.

t2ribena;735711 said:
if your e60 is manufactured prior to Sept 2005, then your car should have the M54Bx engine...

Hi t2ribena, based on the registration card, it states (on the engine #: XXXXXXXXN52BXXAF) so I believe its N52 as informed by aoch88. Mine is a recond uk spec 525i Msport, and the registration date in UK is 2006, but once a mechanic show me from his computer Registered :2005. So probably its manufactured after Sept 2005 but before Jan 2006 in Germany. Anyway thanks for the input.

Major Noh;735757 said:
Hi t2ribena, based on the registration card, it states (on the engine #: XXXXXXXXN52BXXAF) so I believe its N52 as informed by aoch88. Mine is a recond uk spec 525i Msport, and the registration date in UK is 2006, but once a mechanic show me from his computer Registered :2005. So probably its manufactured after Sept 2005 but before Jan 2006 in Germany. Anyway thanks for the input.

A few ways to check what is your engine type:
1. M54 engine is black cover while N52 is silver top cover. Example of N52 engine:
250px-JK_N52B30_2.jpg

2. Look at your windscreen (passenger side lower end corner) and take down the last 5 digit. This is your car's VIN code (some sort of serial number). You can then use the number to check online to give you more details about the car.

Not all N52 has the engine oil dissapearing issue and here are some articles about this known issue. Hope it helps.

http://www.google.com.my/#hl=en&scl...or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=97d6bef60b710d35

It's definitely a widely discussed topic even in this forum so happy reading, haha.

aoch88;735795 said:
A few ways to check what is your engine type:
1. M54 engine is black cover while N52 is silver top cover. Example of N52 engine:
250px-JK_N52B30_2.jpg

2. Look at your windscreen (passenger side lower end corner) and take down the last 5 digit. This is your car's VIN code (some sort of serial number). You can then use the number to check online to give you more details about the car.

Not all N52 has the engine oil dissapearing issue and here are some articles about this known issue. Hope it helps.

http://www.google.com.my/#hl=en&scl...or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=97d6bef60b710d35

It's definitely a widely discussed topic even in this forum so happy reading, haha.

Wow thanks bro aoch88, been reading some discussion there and it all can be simplified to your suggestion - thicker engine oil, but I'm thinking...ahh what the heck of needing to top up 1 lit at around 7k km after servicing, when the performance is great! and since its already N52 character I now used the original bmw oil bought from bavarian auto, only RM38 per lit, except that the oil separator issue...may need to explore further if it can stop the topping up altogether, anyway its not serious or that urgent, as my friend in JB who had live with it for the past 4-5years now

BTW, the picture that you attached is the engine in my e60 (Precisely), i.e. N52, and yes, bottom left windscreen is where the coding is for spare part reference, Bro you're of great help, TT, when we can reconcile our timing in the near future.

aoch88;736520 said:
My pleasure Major Noh to help :) I hope the information is useful.

Bro aoch88 yes it have been very helpful indeed. But been bit busy to explore all that you've recommended, will certainly do it later just to enrich further knowledge on this impressive machine. I will want to explore all, it will just give greater confidence to handle it. Thanks again.

Top Bottom