Anyone experience this on SMG?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

clavenk

Club Guest
Hi all,I'm having this problem. I driving a 325 SMG , recently bought.But after driving sometime, realise having some problem.when the car standing still and trying to move at 1st gear.. the car jerk at 500-800rpm. like a manual releasing clutch at 500 rpm without enough fuel to the engine. Or like u driving at 2nd/3 rd gear at stand still. Beside this, everytime i press on accelerator the car like need 2 more second only can move. which make traffic jam driving/ uphill driving very difficult. Cause if is jam with uphill condition, and when i press on the accelerator it take some time to move, and because of this the car will roll backwards, and is freaking dangerous. Anyone having this same problem? pls help and share!!

Hi pardypeople thanks for the reply. but mine seems quite different from his..
His car is clutch slip at 5k rpm.. I dun have this problem at all.. im just facing slow response when stepping accelerator when stand still at 1st gear. and jerking . Kinda different.

There are some threads on the same. Try the search function. my bro had the same issue with his 330i SMG. Calling out sachseelan ! You may PM him as well

I asked some workshop, they said the gearbox usually wont give u problem. Basically is something beside the gearbox, like clutch, hydralic pump and etc... So wondering how much is going to cost. Cause they can't check without taking down the gearbox.

hi clave,

how long have you been driving this SMG?

what u describe, i would say its quite normal..

the move from standstill, is quite annoying.. i get a slight vibration from undercarriage too. the worst part is when u are slowing down at a junction or hump - it always stays at 2nd and when u want to take off, you feel the car struggling thru 2000rpm... it never drop to 1st until u come to dead stop.. boring...

but u must understand the smg is actually a Manual box, it acts and feels like a real manual..
thus u get the roll back, jerk and occasional loud thump from ur rear diff...

u need to adapt to its driving style.. yes i agree, the feel/response at throttle is kinda weird... sometimes u get no feel fr few seconds at throttle... but all this only happens at C mode (full auto)... boring... just after 3 months i boring to use the C mode.. now always on paddles, no issue..

ask ur mech to use GT1 and re-allign ur smg box, should minimise the jerk and u will get smoother gear changes.. or even a software upgrade for gb ecu.. i got bigger problem, GT1 cannot access my gb ecu :(

change ur oil separator and or MAF too for a smoother lighter throttle feel..

i just got the car 3 week. but u r right when u use manual the gear changing is much smooth, but still when stand still starting to move at 1st gear the car is jerk, and the engine stall is quite serious. especially having 4 ppl in the car and going uphill.. the car totally roll backward and jerk badly. And is so embarrasing. I understand the "thud" sound is normal. But if the car is so irresponsive how you drive it daily.. like what u said .. u facing jam.. drove until second gear then jam again. u drop first gear.. then the car jerk again. keep on and off on and off jerking like this.

BTW i dun understand what is GT1 from what you said, can explain abit? and what you mean by realign smg? and what is oil seperator ? how difficult to change this? and how much? what is MAF? gear oil? i saw ppl in UDM having the same problem they said is because of the clutch.

http://udmowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1509

Its best to drive the car manually and not rely on the C mode if possible.

As for the jerking, you need to get use to the throttle control a bit more as it is sensitive.

I always drive with manual and not c mode. Always drive like manual. I dun rely so much oncomputer even to downshift unless I'm stopping for traffic lights.

Can anyone drive me with ur smg. Cause this car is the first time i sat on smg. So i really wish to know how other smg act, compare to mine.

clavenk;593521 said:
i just got the car 3 week. but u r right when u use manual the gear changing is much smooth, but still when stand still starting to move at 1st gear the car is jerk, and the engine stall is quite serious. especially having 4 ppl in the car and going uphill.. the car totally roll backward and jerk badly. And is so embarrasing. I understand the "thud" sound is normal. But if the car is so irresponsive how you drive it daily.. like what u said .. u facing jam.. drove until second gear then jam again. u drop first gear.. then the car jerk again. keep on and off on and off jerking like this.

BTW i dun understand what is GT1 from what you said, can explain abit? and what you mean by realign smg? and what is oil seperator ? how difficult to change this? and how much? what is MAF? gear oil? i saw ppl in UDM having the same problem they said is because of the clutch.

http://udmowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1509

bro, looks like ur problem is more serious than e jerk... choking and engine stalled part, i dont have this problem. i only get a slight vibration when take off in 2nd gear. you should take ur car to doctor asap, could be MAF or clutch?

GT1, diagnostics... basically its like a reset... google smg and read up the foreign forums, its all there, im not good at explaining... oil separator is under the i manifold... 20 mins job... for this, u will feel the diff straight away!

also prepare for the occational 'no reverse' in the morning ;)
went for service today at mspeed, sifu say all good... engine and gb is doing healty, but fak still cannot access gb ecu fr re-programming!! need a new one!

erased fault code: ?
dsc00166cx.jpg

bro sachseelan,

how much usually the cost to change the oil separator (parts + labour) ? is there any interval that it needs to be replaced ? thanks.

sachseelan,
the GT1, u r saying is = launch X431? the diagnostics machine? can it reset the gcu setting? so that u feel the less jerk thingy? if yes i have the machine. just dunno how to use it.

my car edi diagnos with launch without any fault code. But still 1st gear vibrating badly when accelerating form 500-1000 rpm

X431 another generic diagnostic tool - see the date, that was about 3 months ago in another shop.

gt1 at mspeed(also use x431 sometimes).. gave the same error code as x431, erased it.. ;(

OS set - should be around rm800 including labour. interval - dunno, i just change it once, when i first get my cars. but the usual symptoms of a failing OS is, throttle/engine start to feel heavy.. , lost of horses, some coughing at cold starts etc...

clavenk;593699 said:
my car edi diagnos with launch without any fault code. But still 1st gear vibrating badly when accelerating form 500-1000 rpm

My guess is that you need to do a smg teaching aka smg adaptation. SMG teaching in covers the clutch bite point and gear selection points. Hence your clutch engagement might be slightly off ... As what bro Sach mentioned you need to go to a workshop that can do the smg teaching via GT1

so any recommend place to go? what am i suppose to tell the workshop? Reprogram my smg gearbox control unit? And how much would it be?
I hope the workshop fellow will understand what im saying by reprogram my smg gcu.

its $100 fr engine and another $100 for gb ...

if they dun understand,u r in da wrong shop ;)

Top Bottom