Any comments on E46 life style

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

marcteng

Club Guest
Hi memebers, i am thinking of buying a E46 life style sooner any comments?? is that high maintenance, hear that is always have oil and water leaking problems..... etc ps give your valuable comments and opinions thx.... have a good day :)

What's your 2nd choice? Toyota? If worries on oil leak and water leak are on top of your concern list than driving pleasure, than Toyota sounds more suitable for u. Not even a Honda.

BMW is running higher compression engine than the JDM (Honda trying to keep up) and many mechanical items have been replaced by electronics at least 10 years ahead of the JDM, to improve engine efficiency and safety. Therefore, u end up with an engine that's powerful, high torque, life safer but vulnerable to oil leak, water leak and electronic glitches.

On top of that, many metal parts, metal screws and clip have been replaced by plastic to achieve better weight distribution and weight saving to achieve "Ultimate Driving" experience, that can only achieved by balance weight distribution car. Can u imagine now the E90 is as hugh as E39 in size but as light as E46. And as you know, plastic parts after some year, they become brittle and fall apart... :p

Btw, "Life Style" is it the 2004/2005 model? E46 318i 2004 onwards is using N46B20 engine, same as E90 320i engine. Good choice! Plenty of electronics, u worry? :eek: E90 stuff wor! :wink:

Other goodies comes with this 2004/2005 E46 318i is electric chair (sounds scary!), 3 spoke multi function steering, rain sensor, rear electric blind, on dash CD player (no more cassette + CD changer in the boot). More importantly, the introduction of DSC, pre-2004 model only get ASC+T, if not mistaken. :top:

If you refer in the maintenance list, there are a number of items which are compulsory to change when u get your car. Spend RM3k-4k initially to change all this part you'll be okay but make sure the car u get has good service record. Among the things to change are expansion tank, all three radiator hoses, multiple o-rings (refer to realoem.com), cam cover gasket, break disc+lining and a few more things to get ease of mind. Don't forget break fluid, if u delay the change it it will damage your ABS pump which is expensive to change and full service. N42/N46 or even the 6 potters are prone to leak because as AB mentioned it, plastics and rubber o-rings don't last forever. The main thing is, practice preventive maintenance all the time

marcteng;458130 said:
Hi memebers, i am thinking of buying a E46 life style sooner any comments?? is that high maintenance, hear that is always have oil and water leaking problems..... etc ps give your valuable comments and opinions thx.... have a good day :)

Hi, welcome to BMWCM. Read thru the post as plenty of valuable info available there. Those are real experiences and tried and tested fixes that a lot of members has gone thru. Don't listen to rumours. :top:

Cheers

astroboy;458140 said:
What's your 2nd choice? Toyota? If worries on oil leak and water leak are on top of your concern list than driving pleasure, than Toyota sounds more suitable for u. Not even a Honda.

BMW is running higher compression engine than the JDM (Honda trying to keep up) and many mechanical items have been replaced by electronics at least 10 years ahead of the JDM, to improve engine efficiency and safety. Therefore, u end up with an engine that's powerful, high torque, life safer but vulnerable to oil leak, water leak and electronic glitches.

On top of that, many metal parts, metal screws and clip have been replaced by plastic to achieve better weight distribution and weight saving to achieve "Ultimate Driving" experience, that can only achieved by balance weight distribution car. Can u imagine now the E90 is as hugh as E39 in size but as light as E46. And as you know, plastic parts after some year, they become brittle and fall apart... :p

Btw, "Life Style" is it the 2004/2005 model? E46 318i 2004 onwards is using N46B20 engine, same as E90 320i engine. Good choice! Plenty of electronics, u worry? :eek: E90 stuff wor! :wink:

Other goodies comes with this 2004/2005 E46 318i is electric chair (sounds scary!), 3 spoke multi function steering, rain sensor, rear electric blind, on dash CD player (no more cassette + CD changer in the boot). More importantly, the introduction of DSC, pre-2003 model only get ASC+T, if not mistaken. :top:

Fixed :D
With the introduction of facelifted E46 DSC was introduced ... Could even be earlier actually :D ...
mine is year 2002 already have dsc worrr (but for CKD could be 2003) :love: :top:

B33mEr;458453 said:
Fixed :D
With the introduction of facelifted E46 DSC was introduced ... Could even be earlier actually :D ...
mine is year 2002 already have dsc worrr (but for CKD could be 2003) :love: :top:

Halo! e46 330i gets all the goodies way before the 4-potter la. Some of you are even already factory spec run flat tyre even.. :D :D not to mention LED illuminated shoft knobs, iDrive and pedal shfters.. :p :D :listen:

zeedo;458425 said:
If you refer in the maintenance list, there are a number of items which are compulsory to change when u get your car. Spend RM3k-4k initially to change all this part you'll be okay but make sure the car u get has good service record. Among the things to change are expansion tank, all three radiator hoses, multiple o-rings (refer to realoem.com), cam cover gasket, break disc+lining and a few more things to get ease of mind. Don't forget break fluid, if u delay the change it it will damage your ABS pump which is expensive to change and full service. N42/N46 or even the 6 potters are prone to leak because as AB mentioned it, plastics and rubber o-rings don't last forever. The main thing is, practice preventive maintenance all the time

I will be getting my E46 325i 04/05 very soon, the car has clocked 62K. Should I consider changing the parts you have mentioned ? What about parts on the suspensions such as bushes and mountings.

Appreciate your advice, thanks in advance.

Certain things can wait, certain things cannot because it will trigger other more major issues... read up on topics pertaining to the items or join the TT (teh tarik) face-to-face "forum" to learn more.

Can wait: Brake oil, cam cover gasket, brake fluid (brake fluid can damage ABS pump meh?) .. see, everybody is still learning. I normally check the color of the fluid to determine replacement..

Learn to check parts condition.. like Vbelt and water hose, if keep changing, then might as well get a brand new warrantied BMW since you can afford.. :p

Many said maintaining BMW is expensive because many I know, just listen to foreman and being a typical foreman if they know u r a easy victim, they will say water hose and radiator cap must change every year and engine oil must change every 5k km, every service must change spark plugs and cabin filter, even wiper blade.. mati la! .. :D :D

In my case I bought 2002 N42 E46 almost 2 years back (63k km), then always do long distance traveling so I changed those parts for peace of mind. My expansion tank cracked at 88k km, radiator top hose leaked at 101k km and the other smaller radiator hoses at the bottom at 110k km. Not expansive to replace by the way but you don't want it to happen in the middle of h/way. Engine leak still can jalan, but water leak for sure koyak the engine. My ASC gone at 88k km, now no ABS + TCS and after it happened then only I checked my brake fluid, almost like water in absolute black color. Can imagine how inefficient it dissipates heat and ruined the ABS pump (that's what I suspect). As for the o-rings and cam cover gasket, it is DIY itchy syndrom and for poor chap like me to maintain a BMW

Top Bottom