35W vs 55W HID conversion kit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bmw7833

Club Guest
Can anyone tell me what is the main different between 35W and 55W HID conversion kit?Can we use 55W conversion kit for our stock standard headlight? Read somewhere that 55W will fry the wiring.How do we tell that the bulb is 35W or 55W? There have a mark on the bulb?

Just go thru the WWW sifu and got the answer. Extra 20W will give u more brighter.

Now the question is, anyone using 55W conversion kit on the headlight? Any battery drain and wire fry problem?

Appreciate is someone able to help, thanks in advance.

[video=youtube;swj44APgmlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swj44APgmlQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swj44APgmlQ[/video]

bmw7833;542639 said:
Just go thru the WWW sifu and got the answer. Extra 20W will give u more brighter.

Now the question is, anyone using 55W conversion kit on the headlight? Any battery drain and wire fry problem?

Appreciate is someone able to help, thanks in advance.

You will want to make sure that you get a digital ballast instead of the traditional magnetic coil ballast. Simply put, traditional ballasts will give a surge of power at start up while digital ballast are more regulated.

I'm not a lighting guru but that's what I've gathered from reading forums on projector lights retrofitting (didn't get to that though :p)

I think the normal halogen is 50W only. hence using 55W HID will fry the wiring.

If I'm not wrong 55w HID isn't road legal. It's too bright.

They're used for rally events I believe, for night SS.

From my study, 35W 6000K almost equal to 55W 8000K, so i i think it is ok if we use 55W 4300K, if no wire fry problem lar..

K is not the brightness but the colour of the light. And for the same power output, 8000K will have lower lumen than a 4300K. Lumen is a measure of the power of light

bmw7833;544747 said:
From my study, 35W 6000K almost equal to 55W 8000K, so i i think it is ok if we use 55W 4300K, if no wire fry problem lar..

Wire wont get melted as the power consumption is the same as halogen lamp. This mean the current flowing thru the cable is the same..

BUT... what is the temperature of the 55W HID bulb. You might melt the headlamp casing if it is too hot.

jarance;544897 said:
Wire wont get melted as the power consumption is the same as halogen lamp. This mean the current flowing thru the cable is the same..

BUT... what is the temperature of the 55W HID bulb. You might melt the headlamp casing if it is too hot.

The seller quoted me not to use the 55W for fog lamp as the light concentrate surface is small so the casing might melt. It is ok to use for headlight.

Anyway i dont want to risk my car to become a fire ball on the road one day, so i stick to 35W.

may i know where you buy the HID? there is a bracket need to buy inorder can change to HID rite?

bmw7833;544911 said:
The seller quoted me not to use the 55W for fog lamp as the light concentrate surface is small so the casing might melt. It is ok to use for headlight.

Anyway i dont want to risk my car to become a fire ball on the road one day, so i stick to 35W.

Good decision..

here is a headlight using 55W HID. See the burnt mark on top of the HID bulb.

IMG_1547.jpg

jarance;544961 said:
Good decision..

here is a headlight using 55W HID. See the burnt mark on top of the HID bulb.

IMG_1547.jpg

wah can burn the reflector until that bad ah..:eek:

bmw7833;544911 said:

bro, so u've installed 35W for the fogs? what colour temp u using?
wats the cost like just for foglight HID?

bmw7833;545023 said:
WHat bracket did u mean?

as i search from ebay they are selling a type of bracket for those people who wanted to convert from halogen bulb to HID. or we just buy HB4 type HID to fix it ?

K.K.;545075 said:
bro, so u've installed 35W for the fogs? what colour temp u using?
wats the cost like just for foglight HID?

No, i am not using HID for foglight. Only the headlight is HID. The conversion kit is same price for headlight and foglight, only the bulb u need to order specific.

sewell;545077 said:
as i search from ebay they are selling a type of bracket for those people who wanted to convert from halogen bulb to HID. or we just buy HB4 type HID to fix it ?

Care to bring us the link?

HB4 bulb for your foglight? For non m sport e39, the fog light is H7 bulb as i know.

sewell;545077 said:

It not bracket. It is a adaptor for the bulb.

Nowadays most of the HID manufacturer provide various type of bulb. I have used HB4 HID for fog.
So NO need to use bracket or adaptor.

BTW, my fog is for E46 M-Sport.

Top Bottom