Which E60 is the best?520,523,525 or 530?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Actually I asked 2 mechanics and they say the same thing, BMW diesel is a bit problematic. Anyone can confirm if this is true? If so, what is the normal issue?

aoch88;661432 said:
Actually I asked 2 mechanics and they say the same thing, BMW diesel is a bit problematic. Anyone can confirm if this is true? If so, what is the normal issue?

:listen: yes bro, very problematic....its too blardy fast for a diesel .... :4: .... apart from the 8 and 10 potters, the rest will find it are to keep up with it ...:4: ... :vroam:

on a more serious note, every car has its own sets of problems bro .. no different for a petrol or a diesel ... I had my 5d3 for as long as I can remember with 300K on the odometer and it has given back to me more than half of my investment .... the moral is...take good care of it and it will do you favours in terms of monies and time spent :top:

aoch88;661432 said:

I spoke with the Head of Aftersales for BMW Malaysia just last Monday and he says the only problem was with the plastic swivel flap with the E60 cars-it sometimes got corroded and broke off and flew into the engine-they changed the flaps to metal ones for the E60 diesel cars. And our new cars the E90 320d and F10 no more swivel flap.

docrayboy;661711 said:
I spoke with the Head of Aftersales for BMW Malaysia just last Monday and he says the only problem was with the plastic swivel flap with the E60 cars-it sometimes got corroded and broke off and flew into the engine-they changed the flaps to metal ones for the E60 diesel cars. And our new cars the E90 320d and F10 no more swivel flap.

:listen: actually doc, the problem is not the swirl flap!

Yes I agree it has a swirl flap issue but it being made of plastic?? I very much doubt so. Even if it was plastic and broke off, it will easily get ingested and simply disintergrate inside the combustion chamber. The actual problem is the "holder" of the swirl-flap doc. It is made of steel and will scratch/damaged the cylinder block and might even total the engine if we are not lucky. I think I need to see this friend of yours (Head of AfterSale) and have a TT with him someday :4:

To make long story short, its not only the car (with its minor glitches) but also the diesel that we put in the tank to run it. Prior to the Euro 2, our diesel was not that good for the BMW as it tends to develop plenty of sludge at the in-take manifold. That doc, is one of the reasons the swirl-flap gets "corroded" and damaged! The newer diesel version has no such worries I was told, just like what you have mention earlier ....
I can talk more and share with you guys ("diesel lovers") anytime, of the diesel and its short comings and wht are the do's and dont's in a diesel engine :top:

God Willing, I will be at the OTT this Friday. Do come over so we can share some common interest .. :4:...

A quick question....would e60 530d (yr of manufacture 2004/05/06) have similar swirl flap/holder problem? If so, can this swirl flap/holder be replaced with metal ones?

herbert;661740 said:
A quick question....would e60 530d (yr of manufacture 2004/05/06) have similar swirl flap/holder problem? If so, can this swirl flap/holder be replaced with metal ones?

Yeap Herbs, I hear they replaced it with a better-designed one and now no more problems.

dzuljazz2001;661732 said:
:listen: actually doc, the problem is not the swirl flap!

Yes I agree it has a swirl flap issue but it being made of plastic?? I very much doubt so. Even if it was plastic and broke off, it will easily get ingested and simply disintergrate inside the combustion chamber. The actual problem is the "holder" of the swirl-flap doc. It is made of steel and will scratch the cylinder block and can even total the engine if we are not lucky. I think I need to see this friend of yours (Head of AfterSale) and have a TT with him :4:
To make long story short, its not only the car (with its minor glitches) but also the diesel that we put in the tank to run it. Prior to the Euro 2, our diesel was not that good for the BMW as it tends to develop plenty of sludge at the in-take manifold. That doc, is one of the reasons the swirl-flap gets "corroded" and damaged! The newer diesel version has no such worries I was told, just like what you have mention earlier ....
I can talk more and share with you guys ("diesel lovers") anytime, of the diesel and its short comings and wht are the do's and dont's in a diesel engine :top:

God Willing, I will be at the OTT this Friday. Do come over :4:...

Sure dzul! Will try my best to make it for the Paparich Ampang TT this Friday and let's talk diesel!!!!

herbert;661740 said:

So Herbert u are aiming for one ?

dzuljazz2001;661698 said:
:listen: yes bro, very problematic....its too blardy fast for a diesel .... :4: .... apart from the 8 and 10 potters, the rest will find it are to keep up with it ...:4: ... :vroam:

on a more serious note, every car has its own sets of problems bro .. no different for a petrol or a diesel ... I had my 5d3 for as long as I can remember with 300K on the odometer and it has given back to me more than half of my investment .... the moral is...take good care of it and it will do you favours in terms of monies and time spent :top:

Yup boss, I do agree :) I mean as long as it's not over problematic then it's fine but I don't know why mechanics exaggerate the situation/problems faced by BMW diesels, lol.

herbert;661875 said:
Just a thought.....not in a hurry though.

F10 520d - great price, great car :d

herbert;661740 said:

The problem persist and the only way to overcome it, is by having an extra visit to the service center. Pay a bit more for the periodic maintenance and the car will be worth your investment. If the manual says "come in @ 60K km, make sure you do it at 45k or 50k. :top:
Have the in- take manifold taken out after every 3rd oil change and clean it :top:...

Replacing the flap to steel, to me is not the best solution. For the 04 -06 model, I believe the flaps are made of carbon fibre. However I do stand corrected :4:.

To answer in the thread question.530 is better n 530d is the best.power doeznt comes cheap n whenever i see the torque statement for 530d,air liur sure meleleh one.lol

alxy;665835 said:
M5....... :rock:

M5 was not in the question bro. But if not because of the exorbitant roadtax and of course higher maintenance, ///M car is the best choice:rock:

Top Bottom