Which BMW to get?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ciahcra

Club Guest
Hi, i'm currently looking to buy my first bmw (used car), and my budget is around RM160k. I'm contemplating whether to get E90 or E60. My questions are:1. I know it's good if i can source them directly from the owner, but the choices are quite limited (Eg. From 40 ads in Mudah, only 10 are private selling, and only 2-3 that might get my attention). Therefore, getting from dealers could be a good alternative. Therefore, can any of you recommend any good dealers around Klang Valley (I live in Pandan Indah), or any dealers that I should avoid. Or maybe any good place on the internet where I can find lots of private seller (I went thru the classified section in this forum, so far couldnt find one or sold already)2. I've test drive both, and I like them both! Haha. I'm more inclined towards E60 as I like big cars. But i read that E60 is very manja lah, due to many electronic parts. My question is, which model would be easier to maintain? I would appreciate if there are any owner out there who own both models, to share their experience with me.3. For my budget, what model and what year I should look for (for both model)? For the same year made, price different can be about RM30-40k. Should i get the cheap one, then standby the difference for any repair etc.?Thank you for your kind advice, much appreciate. And i hope i could make an informed decision based on input from you guys. Cheers, and selamat hari raya. Enjoy the long weekend.

Bro,
I suggest you narrow down your choice to either E90 or E60, then do all the search and analysis based on what you've chosen. Both models fit your budget and you could easily get the year 2005-2006 units. The 3 series are more agile and sporty outlook while the 5's offer greater comfort and luxury. It's your call and then only you search the forum to have a better feel.

Jerman;686797 said:
Bro,
I suggest you narrow down your choice to either E90 or E60, then do all the search and analysis based on what you've chosen. Both models fit your budget and you could easily get the year 2005-2006 units. The 3 series are more agile and sporty outlook while the 5's offer greater comfort and luxury. It's your call and then only you search the forum to have a better feel.

For the E60 I would go for the 2006 and above . Reason start stop button. Also I would take the SE spec rather than Msport because I like the chrome door surrounds.

E90 is also good but then you need to narrow down your preference. E90 is smaller and for your budget you can get quite a decent 2-3 yrs old car.BTW all E90 comes with start stop. Again no M-Sport for me.

Whatever car you buy try to get local car such as from AB, Sapura,Quill or Ingress. Reason :you can easily check the history and actual mileage.
Also no issues with rust, hih mileage especially UK-spec cars as the mileage is rated in MPH and for Japs specs you also have limited radio freq range so no Era.fm 103.3FM or Light and Easy 105.7FM as the Jap freq are only up to 100MHZ only if I am not mistaken. Yes somebody here claims can change the range for a fee and some ppl resorted to using FM boosters.

My habit also is to ensure you have all the 4 keys (2 master with remote and 1 service + 1 valet key non remote) but I am not sure with stop start cars wrts to service and valet keys.

I am also anal about service history and owners manual. I would simply walk away if it doesn't come with those.

Cheers

zib;686843 said:
For the E60 I would go for the 2006 and above . Reason start stop button. Also I would take the SE spec rather than Msport because I like the chrome door surrounds.

My habit also is to ensure you have all the 4 keys (2 master with remote and 1 service + 1 valet key non remote) but I am not sure with stop start cars wrts to service and valet keys.

I am also anal about service history and owners manual. I would simply walk away if it doesn't come with those.
Cheers

Good advice. But E60 Year 2006 and above would have pushed the price close to RM 200k. E60 original keys came in a set of 3 keys only.

Jerman;686975 said:
Good advice. But E60 Year 2006 and above would have pushed the price close to RM 200k. E60 original keys came in a set of 3 keys only.

E60 with push start button only came late 2005 so I assume the pre-2005 E60 would have 4 keys. I did find an E60 2006 going for RM165k nego but the deal went bad with a dishonest dealer. Anyhow use your nego skills and be prepared to walk away as there are literally thousands of E60 out there.

I am just sharing my experience here. Family have been owning few generations of 3s and 5s.

E90
Overall a very competent alrounder. We have a 07 Ingress Auto Supplied 320I in Monaco Blue. Full Service history with IA, currently 41k kms
Car is small and agile ( Compare to E60) comfortable in town driving, engaging to drive, quiet on cruises and have enough poke if you desired.
Looks the look and not outdated. Though the car is already 4-5 years old ( Mine) and looks battered with swirl marks and some scratches here and there. Once is cleaned up, It looks a million dollars and still turns head ( especially in small town). Much better than buying brand new Honda or Toyotas.
Til date not given any mechanical hiccups. Everything works like a swiss watch. Ticking as it should be.
My only draw back is some Owner might find that the interior quality can be questionable especially in our hot climate. some plastic bits can start peeling if not taken care off ( Mine still looks new as is 80% under shelter ). The other thing are features a bit scarce... Not a lot to brag about but if you want a honest good serving daily ride. E90 320i is a perfect alrouder.

E60. I drove a 05 523I E60 not too long back. ( Bought second hand) Had 81k KMs and full service history when acquired.
The car itself drives well, handles like E90 but provide excellent cushy ride for the rear. NVH also much better. IL6 is never replaceable ( Some bro will beg to differ) as I always enjoy the smoothness of IL6 anytime. Power delivery is good, though not fast but do give you the evil grin when you " pecut" out from to the freeway with the steptronic.
However, Reliablity has been plague-ing me so much so that I have lost the confidence in it. When it behaves well, Is really a dream to drive but when it turns to the darkside. is a nightmare and you wonder to yourself, what have you done to deserve this.. The car has broken down so many times that I lost the confindence and rather take public transport to work. When everything was ok with all the expensive repair (10K SGD in 10 months) it will make sure it stop to a halt just before you make a right turning home.
I was so fed up with it I changed it to a brand new car and swear I would not buy a used car for daily commute no more.

This is just my personal experience with the E60. I might have bought a lemon and I am sure there are good samples out there.

Good luck in your search

Thanks everyone for the input. Really useful. I'll make sure that i would make informed decision, and get my dream machine. Thank you again, really appreciate it.

ck318ci;687275 said:
I am just sharing my experience here. Family have been owning few generations of 3s and 5s.

My only draw back is some Owner might find that the interior quality can be questionable especially in our hot climate. some plastic bits can start peeling if not taken care off ( Mine still looks new as is 80% under shelter ). The other thing are features a bit scarce... Not a lot to brag about but if you want a honest good serving daily ride. E90 320i is a perfect alrouder.

E60. I drove a 05 523I E60 not too long back. However, Reliablity has been plague-ing me so much so that I have lost the confidence in it. When it behaves well, Is really a dream to drive but when it turns to the darkside. is a nightmare and you wonder to yourself, what have you done to deserve this.. The car has broken down so many times that I lost the confindence and rather take public transport to work. When everything was ok with all the expensive repair (10K SGD in 10 months) it will make sure it stop to a halt just before you make a right turning home.

Bro,
Really appreciate your candid remarks and sharing your "joy & frustration". Yes, realiability remains the key issues for BMWs and you never know when the panel will light-up or the fearful "ting" sound when you turn the key or during your cruise along the highway?

p/s: my ride just been towed to workshop this morning :(

Jerman;687319 said:
Bro,
Really appreciate your candid remarks and sharing your "joy & frustration". Yes, realiability remains the key issues for BMWs and you never know when the panel will light-up or the fearful "ting" sound when you turn the key or during your cruise along the highway?

p/s: my ride just been towed to workshop this morning :(

bro Jerman,

what happen to your car ? it should be quite serious if need to be towed

sewell;687321 said:
bro Jerman,

what happen to your car ? it should be quite serious if need to be towed

The car cannot crank this morning. The starter motor gave up on me! Will share the damages $$$ when I pick it up later :(

I've owned neither E60 or E90, but all my cars that I've bought are 2nd hand / recon.

My only advice is, never trust any 2nd hand car salesman. Do your research (e.g. vin check, service history check) and get the car checked out by a reputable BMW mechanic. Get the full service record or price in the lack of one. Local cars will have less of that issue. And, if the dealer refuse a check, walk away.

Thank God, so far, I've avoided lemons....

Is a very sound advice.
But sometimes, is all heng suai ( Luck) one la...
Like my E60, Bought with all the visual inspection, Calling up PML and visiting them to check all the service history etc etc..
But when the car wants to meltdown on you.. it just melt like ice cream meeting fire!

I have bought many used cars before ( all my BMs- E46, E53, E60) and they have been proven quite bullet proof bar the E60, Ironically has the best on paper service history and checks.

ck318ci;687351 said:
Is a very sound advice.
Like my E60, Bought with all the visual inspection, Calling up PML and visiting them to check all the service history etc etc..
But when the car wants to meltdown on you.. it just melt like ice cream meeting fire!

I have bought many used cars before ( all my BMs- E46, E53, E60) and they have been proven quite bullet proof bar the E60, Ironically has the best on paper service history and checks.

Very true... the worst BMW I've ever had the displeasure to own was the e60,and I've owned quite a few(e30,e36,e46,e60,e90).

Bought it after a thorough check up with all the relevent sources.Drove well enough initially but turned sour afterwards.I don't want to drag on with my sob-story but just wanted to share a little bit of what I think.

supergripen;687417 said:
Very true... the worst BMW I've ever had the displeasure to own was the e60,and I've owned quite a few(e30,e36,e46,e60,e90).

Bought it after a thorough check up with all the relevent sources.Drove well enough initially but turned sour afterwards.I don't want to drag on with my sob-story but just wanted to share a little bit of what I think.

My E39 is my 1st BMW i ever own. bought it from a car dealer, before getting it call up auto bavaria to check the car history and everything. it seem to be quite satify that come with all the service history. after clocking 20,000km the gearbox give away cost me tons of money to repair it.

ck318ci;687351 said:
Is a very sound advice.

I don't disagree with that... :)

But it improves your odds though... plus asking for a little divine help doesn't hurt... hahah!

You know, with most of these modern cars (be it an expensive Continental brand or a common run of the mill Japanese/Korean/Malaysian make), things don't last as long as they did in the past. The reasons are many:

a. Technology - our cars are now veritable mobile computers. There's Sat Nav GPS, there's auto park, auto hold, cruise control, auto dipping headlights, auto swivel headlamps, auto wipers, auto suspension self leveling, auto this, auto that, CPU this, CPU that... there's just so many more things that can go wrong & fail - and with wear and tear, these things simply do: they fail. Coupled with each car manufacturer trying to outdo, outbid the other - sometimes these things get rushed out to the market before all the bugs have been fully ironed out. Then, you get v2, v3 updates, patches etc... really cannot make it.

b. "Globalization" - if the cars run and run forever, the economy would stagnate, and there'll be fewer jobs for people. So, like what one of the workshop guys said to me once, concerning the relative 'fraility" of the newer models, compared to the robust tanks of the past - "if this power-window part were made out of metal, it would never fail, and if it never fails, I'd be out of a job". How to argue with logic like that?

c. Life cycles. Last time, 1 car model will be on the road for 10 - 14 years. Plenty of time to get their act together. Now, 1 car model will last 3 - 4 years, then a "Life Cycle Impulse" will occur, and "more than 2000 new parts updated" will be advertised. Things are simply NOT built to last, nor are they meant to, anymore :(

Bro Wobble, well said and so true.

Long gone are the days of (IMHO) over-engineered German cars of the 80s... the E30s, E34s, E32s.. and on the darker side, the W124s....

Thanks everyone for the knowledge. Really useful. I'll develop sure that i would develop advised choice, and get my wish device.

Top Bottom