Should I get an E32 or E34 or E36 for My 70yo Dad?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
considering the condition of 190E's for sale these days, i'd say you need to spend about 25k before one can be used as a very reliable and comfortable daily driver. it's a nice car actually, especially if you can get a 2.3 or 2.6 version.. no, i don't mean the dohc ones.

mizhan;554242 said:
considering the condition of 190E's for sale these days, i'd say you need to spend about 25k before one can be used as a very reliable and comfortable daily driver. it's a nice car actually, especially if you can get a 2.3 or 2.6 version.. no, i don't mean the dohc ones.

Woo, or the Cosworth or Evo II. :top:

I once saw the 190E 2.3 16 on the road, very nice. One of my fave Mercs. :top:

Eggie86;554307 said:
Woo, or the Cosworth or Evo II. :top:

I once saw the 190E 2.3 16 on the road, very nice. One of my fave Mercs. :top:

there are a few cosworth mercs running around, not many in mint (and original) condition. considered quite fast in 1986, but by today's standard so so only la..

mizhan;554310 said:
there are a few cosworth mercs running around, not many in mint (and original) condition. considered quite fast in 1986, but by today's standard so so only la..

Ooh, serious? Sad to see those cars not being in good condition. Then again, the 2.3 16v does seem like a decent car to use. Pretty solid and dependable. :top:

I once saw a black 190E Cosworth, complete with spoilers and all, along the Fed Highway one Sunday morning many months ago. Very nice. Did a double & triple take as I drove past. Hahaha.

Decided to get an E36 instead because it is easier to drive around in the city and suburbs.

Just booked a 1995 E36 318i yesterday evening with a car dealer in Kajang. Overall, the car is in good condition except for a few items which will be rectified by the dealer (as promised).
Hopefully, the car could be ready for collection by this week, so that I can have time to juice it up a little bit here and there before delivering it to my dad by the weekend.

Thanks guys, for all the valuable suggestions and advice.

i hope your E36's interior doesn't rattle and squeak like the one i owned.

cloudbuster;554794 said:
Decided to get an E36 instead because it is easier to drive around in the city and suburbs.

Just booked a 1995 E36 318i yesterday evening with a car dealer in Kajang. Overall, the car is in good condition except for a few items which will be rectified by the dealer (as promised).
Hopefully, the car could be ready for collection by this week, so that I can have time to juice it up a little bit here and there before delivering it to my dad by the weekend.

cloudbuster ...glad that you've finally decided for an e36 ... hope ya dad enjoys it ...

cloudbuster;554794 said:

Congrats on your purchase bro. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the ride soon.

Juicing it up? What sort of mods are you planning to do? :D Hehe.

mizhan;554803 said:

I hope so too. From the test drive, there was none of these issues, but i am just keeping my fingers crossed.

ICEMAN 13;554834 said:
cloudbuster ...glad that you've finally decided for an e36 ... hope ya dad enjoys it ...

Thanks for the 2 good-condition leather seats. I will be putting them to good use soon.

mizhan;554803 said:

Actually the sound can be solved if u know the way.:listen:

Eggie86;554885 said:
Congrats on your purchase bro. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the ride soon.

Juicing it up? What sort of mods are you planning to do? :D Hehe.

What I mean by juicing it up is to actually, cleaning, vacuum, waxing and polishing it before delivering to my dad. haa haa....definitely no mods for this car. Just want to keep it clean, simple and as stock as possible.

I'm just thinking of replacing the existing old crappy CD player with a new MP3 player, and possibly replace the rear speakers as well with something more decent.

If the car belongs to me, I'll definitely do some additional modding to it.

initialM;555068 said:
Actually the sound can be solved if u know the way.:listen:

target next year i intend to get an E36.. time tu aku cari engkau :)

cloudbuster;555072 said:
What I mean by juicing it up is to actually, cleaning, vacuum, waxing and polishing it before delivering to my dad. haa haa....definitely no mods for this car. Just want to keep it clean, simple and as stock as possible.

I'm just thinking of replacing the existing old crappy CD player with a new MP3 player, and possibly replace the rear speakers as well with something more decent.

If the car belongs to me, I'll definitely do some additional modding to it.

Haha, ooh, I see. Okie.

Yeah, very nice of you to do so. Your dad must be super impressed with how clean the car is once he receives it! :top:

Yeap. Do get rid of the standard radio. Pretty outdated. Haha. :D

mizhan;555185 said:
target next year i intend to get an E36.. time tu aku cari engkau :)

Get the E36 M3 lar then u only care the sound of the engine oni:listen:

BLaCkHoWLiNG;555353 said:
honestly, i'd get a camry or an accord... e34's too unpredictable for an elderly... it may just break down...

How bout the E36, is it as unpredictable as the E34 too? I heard from some friends that the E36 is supposed to be more reliable than the E46 for daily driving....

cloudbuster, not a very good idea to have an elderly driving a close to 20 year old continental car.

mizhan;555568 said:
cloudbuster, not a very good idea to have an elderly driving a close to 20 year old continental car.

Initially, i was thinking the same thing too. However, after evaluating my dad's interests and preference for classic BMW & Mercedes cars as he has been driving them all his life, I decided to proceed with the purchase of a classic BMW, this time the E36.

At his age, there could be a few good years of driving left, and I want him to be able to enjoy driving what he loves most. It's more of a decision from the heart rather that a logical decision maybe. I just want him to be happy, that's all.

Top Bottom