What's the fuss of owning 320d compared to your previous ride?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
The 3 series 320d.....the leader of the pack. The car that sets the standards others follow. The car that everybody deserves to drive and own at least once in their lifetime. Everytime you see a 320d, you just know it's driver is having a fun time, you know his/her life is just that bit fuller!

:4:actually.... the d reminds me alot of an acquaintance I had when I was studying in the UK...
rode once, keep going back for more.....:4:

OK lah my next ride. Actually I sakit hati my E90 325i petrol keeps getting tapaued by these oil burners (2 lit sumore).

namidub;695795 said:
yea.lets talk about them,GTI's..
daredevils on the road,i don't want to try tarpau,afraid i will eat their smoke instead.
we sedan ma,they hot hatch..less weight.no fair.

Let me do the job..i've done once at 250kmh...

saat;695963 said:
But wait a while when the "clack, clack, clack,....." gets louder and you get surrounded by black dense smoke with age, and the maintenance cost goes thru the roof and no one wants to buy your used 320D cos of the damage done by our bad diesel, then tell us your experience.......heheheh

Was told recently that the used market is having trouble moving e90 320d and 320, probably due to he huge numbers.

There is so much wrong perception about our local 'dirty diesel' being incompatible and will do long term damage to the 320d blah! blah!

BMW has officially said that the 20d engine is built to Euro3 spec and since there is little difference between Euro2M and Euro3, there is no issue AT ALL. With B5 bio-diesel, the sulphur content is even lowered by a further 5%. What our local diesel is NOT compatible with are those engines built to Euro4 specs, like the twin turbo diesels. VW and Merc build diesel engines to euro4 specs hence they are handicapped.

maintenance goes to the roof? Nay, diesel engines are nearly bullet proof and built to withstand greater stress. Sure, there may be one or two documented failures with glow plugs or blocked injectors in the UK, but yet to hear of one from local d owners (530d has been around since 2004). If any, the turbo tends to fail faster while the engine continue its loyal service

heard the 320d being a slow mover in the secondary market? No offence bro but it's probably noise in your head. The 320d is flying off the shelfs much faster than the other 3ers nowadays. Ask any BMW dealer. Also, the 520d and X3 have a waiting period of at least 3 months if you are lucky.

Bro, give it a test drive one day and you will be hooked - line and sinker - just like the rest of us converts.

saat;696189 said:
OK lah my next ride. Actually I sakit hati my E90 325i petrol keeps getting tapaued by these oil burners (2 lit sumore).

Its not only the tapau, its the refilling at the petrol stations every 3 to 4 days that u hate! We refill every 10 to 14 days!

saat;695963 said:
But wait a while when the "clack, clack, clack,....." gets louder and you get surrounded by black dense smoke with age, and the maintenance cost goes thru the roof and no one wants to buy your used 320D cos of the damage done by our bad diesel, then tell us your experience.......heheheh

Was told recently that the used market is having trouble moving e90 320d and 320, probably due to he huge numbers.

To all,

Please be informed that the above posting is nothing more than a tongue and cheek jab in the hope that someone will address what are clearly misconception held by Malaysian in general and petrolhead specifically about diesel engines and diesel fuel in Malaysia.

On the comment about the slow movement of used diesels, this is a true comment by 3 dealers that I visited recently and it is because of the vy misconception.

If my wry humor and the subtleties are lost or misinterpreted, I sincerely apologise for any misunderstanding that was caused.

On a positive note, I still note that the passion for the marque is high. Let me buy Bro Kuntakinte a TT the next time we meet.

P.S. I have lived with diesel cars for much of my life.

No offence taken whatsoever. Just as your remark was a tongue in cheek, mine was purely a figure of speech. No malice intended whatsoever. Let me hv that pleasure to that drink if we do meet.

Anyway, it's not blind passion we hv. Just that when unfounded comments are posed which may undermine the value of our investment (or was it liability?), you just need to set the record straight.

Again, apologies all round. Cheers, matey

kuntakinte;696216 said:
No offence taken whatsoever. Just as your remark was a tongue in cheek, mine was purely a figure of speech. No malice intended whatsoever. Let me hv that pleasure to that drink if we do meet.

Anyway, it's not blind passion we hv. Just that when unfounded comments are posed which may undermine the value of our investment (or was it liability?), you just need to set the record straight.

Again, apologies all round. Cheers, matey

Well said. No issues at all with the less than desirable remarks. In fact, my friend refers to this car as the 320donkey. So, I tell him "here take the keys and try it first". After the drive, he says "wow, now I know how you feel everyday". His perception about the car changed after just 15 minutes of drive. There are not many cars out there that can awe you in such a way after just 15 minutes.

Bottom line is...if you have never tried it...you will never have experienced that much torque. Unless of course, if you already own a 4 litre petrol engine.

I have tested the 320d again and again as I read so many good things about it here...but I personally think it was overrated...maybe after all the great stuff on how good the car is/was, I tested the car with such a high expectation...the only good point is the fc but if the objective is to save money on fuel then its the wrong car to choose in the first place...sometime the biggest advantage can become the disadvantage as well, the torque, very nice but unfortunately since its a diesel, it is short lived...one thing that make the car damn stim but half way the car say no i have to change gear...awwww damn potong stim...it lacks one of the feeling that I could not put in words that you get in the high revving petrol engine...for me it is more fun in the e90 325i even though it is tapaued by the 320d...because the engine is more willing and it feels like it is working with you rather than on the 320d whereby the engine is powerful but it behaves arrogantly and not willing to further...it lacks the team work feeling in a car...

still a petrol-head...

bro t2, the one thing that hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread is also the price competitiveness of the 320d.
i agree with you that the screaming inline 6 is a real joy to work with...but at a premium of +RM49k.
oh, check out the powerkitted 320d, you'll find it a more responsive and willing engine with the smoother remap and its higher horses.
we love it, and it comes at a small fee of +RM7k for the extra boost.

bro, unless the power kit adds in extra 2k rpm then its going to be the same 'but'...even if the next power kit churns out 600Nm of torque it will be lagi potong stim...

i have a run before with the claimed 650Nm tuned 530d and mine only 500Nm...one would assume (me included) the 530d will be in front but it was otherwise...many factors, manual transmission and etc but the fact is the 530d puts out 650Nm in very short torque vs engine rpm and the 500Nm petrol engine puts out 500Nm longer on the band...there is more than just the figure of Nm...

for the case of e90 325i vs 320d...stock to stock...acceleration goes to 320d but top speed still 325i...

put the price aside as most of it is due to tax...

Maniac;696267 said:
bro t2, the one thing that hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread is also the price competitiveness of the 320d.
i agree with you that the screaming inline 6 is a real joy to work with...but at a premium of +RM49k.
oh, check out the powerkitted 320d, you'll find it a more responsive and willing engine with the smoother remap and its higher horses.
we love it, and it comes at a small fee of +RM7k for the extra boost.

Try the powerkitted 320d at quill. Flick the shift left to DS n see it rev happily to redline ard 5k rpm, still lower than the petrol cousin but packs enough pulling power comparably thru the torque curve.

Alternatively, depress accelerator half-way to get the turbo spooling n hold ard 2k rpm for a short 1sec, then floor it n all hell will break loose all the way to redline. That's the proper way to kickdown, and not just flooring it immediately, incurring obvious turbo lag

To each his own, as I can respect that some of the world's best supercars are still NA.

Ultimately, I do agree that to break down wind resistance, u need horsepower over torque. And that's where the d may lose out to other hp monsters. The powerkitted 320d brings quite a respectable 200 bhp with m3 like torque of 420nm, which should b enough for mere mortals like us

or as they say,once u go //M you never turn back?

hey what bout the rumored diesel //M ?

then baru lah fair compare apple to apple,windows to windows. ;-p

Drag (cw) 0.29
Top speed (km/h) 242
Acceleration 0 - 100 km/h (in s) 7.7
Acceleration 0 - 1,000 m (in s) 28.1

320d
Drag (cw) 0.27
Top speed (km/h) 233
Acceleration 0 - 100 km/h (in s) 7.6
Acceleration 0 - 1,000 m (in s) 28.2

...guess the drivers of these oil burners are really good or they meet only lemon opponent all the time....

Imagine usain bolt and michael Johnson on a 400m run. Usain bolt will eat and spit Michael Johnson out on probably the first 200m then Michael will eventually catch up and probably overtake at the final 200m

Usain bolt is 320d, Michael Johnson 325i

See the difference?

Aiyo... this perpetual "mine is bigger than yours" argument, hahaha. Whenever I see any other BMW driver on the road, I accord them a certain respect - no need to race between brothers :) - of course, sometimes, the idiot behind the wheel is a total moron and a through-and-through wanker of the highest order, but that's the problem of the drebar, and not of the car :) - diesel or petrol (or nitro, for that matter), we are all BMW drivers mah :)

Yalah abang wobbles,no need to fight2. Our BMWs are all good.irregardless.
Heck, later when iBMW introduced,there will be a band of electric warrior vs diesel heads vs petrol heads. hahaha
I agree,i hold a certain respect whenever i see another udm driver on the road,as long as they aren't idiot.

lets get back to our public enemy #1 - Golf GTI then.

Top Bottom