What is the best Engine Oil for E46?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sya_one

Club Guest
Hello Braders..... Just Wondering ah, what is the best engine oil for E46? Some people said Mobil 1? But expensive isn't it? any suggestion?

sya_one;304488 said:
Hello Braders.....

Just Wondering ah, what is the best engine oil for E46? Some people said Mobil 1? But expensive isn't it? any suggestion?
other than good engine oil, make sure u choose the correct viscosity for your car. search online for motor oil bible, it will roughly tell u which oil scores the highest point after various test, its in PDF format that contain more than 100+ pages, the info that u required is almost at the end.

Every engine oil will have its own say of goodies. Generally, choose an oil with the right viscosity (the one recommended in your user manual and which suits our climate). For something different, I recently tried Ravenol Fully Syn (gold color bottle in 5 litres - very expensive though... RM200 for 5 litres) and the performance was superb. The car felt very "light" and "responsive". Perhaps other sifu here may have their shares of ideas.

sya_one;304488 said:
Hello Braders.....

Just Wondering ah, what is the best engine oil for E46? Some people said Mobil 1? But expensive isn't it? any suggestion?

Bro

You asking for the best and of course the best is pricy. Where can you find the best and yet cheap engine oil. Don't get duped into buying self claim great engine oils at cheap prices.... it will coz more harm to your car and pocket.

There are other great engine oils like syntium 5000 0-30W or 0-40W. The most expensive in Petronas range... Rm223 for 4 liters.

planta

Russie;304770 said:
Every engine oil will have its own say of goodies. Generally, choose an oil with the right viscosity (the one recommended in your user manual and which suits our climate). For something different, I recently tried Ravenol Fully Syn (gold color bottle in 5 litres - very expensive though... RM200 for 5 litres) and the performance was superb. The car felt very "light" and "responsive". Perhaps other sifu here may have their shares of ideas.

I don't think RM200 for 5 litres of fully synthetic engine oil is expensive. Ravenol is 100% from Germany, I'd say that is very good value. Petronas synthium is already RM223 for 4 litres and Mobil 1 5w50 is already RM205 for 4 litres.

Crymson;304781 said:
I don't think RM200 for 5 litres of fully synthetic engine oil is expensive. Ravenol is 100% from Germany, I'd say that is very good value. Petronas synthium is already RM223 for 4 litres and Mobil 1 5w50 is already RM205 for 4 litres.

Yeah, true. After reading Planta's latest post... RM200 for 5 litres of fully syn fully imported engine oil from Germany aint that expensive after all. Perhaps my 1st time using fully syn, thats why not too sure about the pricing :) My bad.

So if imported oils are relatively cheaper than our locally produced oil, time to reconsider things? hmm...

Just be careful on the imported oil. It can be immitations. Have friends who were duped into buying such oil.

The main reason I use Petronas is that I buy from Petronas station to ensure that it is genuine. Other lesser reasons are can collect my mesra points, credit card points and might win car craze.

planta

haha...

and try not to get those gold color container Mobil1 from normal workshop. i doubt its origins...

try to get those in individual smaller 1 Quart packaging.

Rule of thumb is first look at your user manual and see what does it recommend.. next look at SC and see what they give when u sent her in for service.. look at the service bill from SC if ur car has a service history.. from there u'll know at least whether its 5w40 or 5w30...

Our E90 service record says its 5w30... so I figure it would be the same oil for your E46.

Now u can look around for engine oil with the same 5w30 viscocity... then its the API SAE rating... the older generation oil is SH, SJ, SL and lately SM. Its alphabetical order. Then read the label carefully and look for MB229.3 or MB229.31 (for Mercedes :D) which has an equivalent of grade as BMW-LL01 or 04..

Actually 5w40 can pakai too but make sure the MB229.3 or MB229.31 or BMW-LL01 or 04 must be on the label!

I have been thinking about our friend's engine oil vanished and having to top up 1 liter every month of 2.. no sign of leakage anywhere and end up SC replace him with a new engine.. I think 5w30 is too thin la.. :p thus vaporised in the hot engine.. :p

I'm not sure about the rest after trying all sorts inluding Torco and Royal Purple. I only can feel the goodness on my car when I use Q8 Excel 5W-40. :)

i'm on castrol 10w/60
1st time using it..
seems OK
but i didnt check the engine oil dip stick for 3 mths

planta;304795 said:
Just be careful on the imported oil. It can be immitations. Have friends who were duped into buying such oil.

The main reason I use Petronas is that I buy from Petronas station to ensure that it is genuine. Other lesser reasons are can collect my mesra points, credit card points and might win car craze.

planta

and thats the reason why i use petronas oils too :top:

Top Bottom