Type of modification on your E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
sebbie, email me the pics as per first post on this thread and i'll help you resize and post.

Guys, I'm planning to change my tyres to bridgestone potenza re050a....what do u think? Get quoted RM1400 for 235/35/19.....is it expensive?

if i am not in a budget i will go Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline.... but i am also getting the RE050A but non run flat...

Hi Beemers3

Don't have any issues with the Eibach pro kit as I got it basically to lower the car and get less sway on turns.. I am using it with the stock shocks so I am not sure which is affecting what. However, on high speeds say over 130kmph it feels a bit springy on road bumps. There is a momentary feeling of being suspended in the air. Not sure what the effect is on rear passengers but no one has complained yet.

Hi sebbie, I believe the stock setup exhibits some floatiness over minor undulations, at high speeds as well. This is most noticeable at high speed mid-corner bump, it can be quite unsettling. I believe an upgraded damper should take care of this. The springs should give you less roll in corners and maybe the feeling of 'better handling' in low to medium speed turns. The best upgrade you can buy are the sway bars though.

Comparing:
1. Bridgestone RE050A
2. Michellin PS2
3. Goodyear Eagle F1
4. Toyo T1-R
5. Continental
Which one better for 235/35/19? Anyone care to share some experience?

JV88;210051 said:
Comparing:
1. Bridgestone RE050A
2. Michellin PS2
3. Goodyear Eagle F1
4. Toyo T1-R
5. Continental
Which one better for 235/35/19? Anyone care to share some experience?

I feel that they are all reasonably good tyres....

I thought the tread wear for PS2 is pretty low compare with other make plus its the most expensive rite? even though its no doubt a better tyres....I've been using PS2 also for my previous 18"....just want to know of others....

JV88, the PS2 wears faster because it's a soft compound tyre using Michelin's Formula G. If you run your finger over the threads of a Pilot, you'll find that it feels oily and tacky compared to other tyres. So it's designed to be sticky and wears out faster. It's Michelin's mass market flagship derivative of their F1 involvement, so it's accordingly expensive.

There's no one size fits all in tyre selection. Beyond brand and price, one should look into the specs to decide which tyre suits one's driving wants and needs. It's always a trade off:

Tyres using soft compounds give better roadholding, but the thread will wear faster and fuel consumption will be higher than a harder compound tyre. Tyres with symmetrical thread design will track truer, but will be noisier as the sound harmonics will be resonant. Tyres with high groove density will perform better in the wet, but will have less road contact area in the dry. Tyres with hard shoulders and sidewalls will be more stable in cornering, but will be less comfortable. Non-RFT tyres will be far more comfortable, but will be far less safe in a rapid pressure loss situation. And so on it goes.

Do some internet research and choose based on your driving wants, not like a lot of people who base it on recommendation, brand or how cool the thread looks. :) I like the Michelin Pilots but I wouldn't waste them on our family small car that just putters around the city, because I know that I'd be leaving more rubber molecules on the road than is necessary for the job. ;)

Very well said Schwepps!! (our up and coming guru)

Agree on your take on the tires. I too used to be a real die hard brand/image follower when it came to tires. (Michelin all the way) Been driving for the last 20 years has thought me that pay for what you really need, the rest is just waste. Somehow in Msia, we are still pretty brand conscious when it comes to tires. My take is dont discount the "cheaper" tires, you will be very surpised.

Thank you danc! The value of this forum is that we learn from each other don't we? I've certainly learnt a lot from the rest of you.

For me, Pilot Precedas are good enough for the Merc, which is driven slowly by wifey and driver, but occasionally hard and fast on the highways by me. Hardwearing Yokohamas for the XC90 and cheap Goodyears for the Myvi. But I may go PS2 for the 325i Sports which will only be driven by me! :p But I would also like to give the RFTs that it'll come with, a go too. :rolleyes:

yeah whatever herr schwepps said :p

Don't forget to compare the tread wear ratings.

Herr danc is also correct, there are some 'cheaper brand' tires that perform quite well and are great value for money. The internet is a great resource to research your purchase.

Schwepps;210148 said:
JV88, the PS2 wears faster because it's a soft compound tyre using Michelin's Formula G. If you run your finger over the threads of a Pilot, you'll find that it feels oily and tacky compared to other tyres. So it's designed to be sticky and wears out faster. It's Michelin's mass market flagship derivative of their F1 involvement, so it's accordingly expensive.

There's no one size fits all in tyre selection. Beyond brand and price, one should look into the specs to decide which tyre suits one's driving wants and needs. It's always a trade off:

Tyres using soft compounds give better roadholding, but the thread will wear faster and fuel consumption will be higher than a harder compound tyre. Tyres with symmetrical thread design will track truer, but will be noisier as the sound harmonics will be resonant. Tyres with high groove density will perform better in the wet, but will have less road contact area in the dry. Tyres with hard shoulders and sidewalls will be more stable in cornering, but will be less comfortable. Non-RFT tyres will be far more comfortable, but will be far less safe in a rapid pressure loss situation. And so on it goes.

Do some internet research and choose based on your driving wants, not like a lot of people who base it on recommendation, brand or how cool the thread looks. :) I like the Michelin Pilots but I wouldn't waste them on our family small car that just putters around the city, because I know that I'd be leaving more rubber molecules on the road than is necessary for the job. ;)

Sounds like a tyre man! hehehehe.....

You're not far wrong, David :p Until very recently I used to be like danc, a diehard Michelin man. Even used Michelins on the 4x4 which is pricey. Every year-end I change out all the tyres on all the cars, and I did some research this time and found that my choices of tyres were just based on brand and not on good sense.

So yes, now I'm a bit smarter on tyres. :D

The sad thing is that our tyre shop guys don't do anything except try to sell you the most expensive tyres. "This one very good wan. No complaint from customer."

Apart from trying to sell the expensive tyres, they tend to put high recommendation on certain brands that gives them to highest profit margin. You may notice that different tyre shop will stock up more or sell more on a certain brand. Some say Falken the best, some say Yokohama the best, some say Bridgestone, so on so on.... it's all depend on which brand they carry the most and give them the best margin. So it's important for us as a consumer or user to have knowledge or do research well to understand our own needs before jumping into decision.

Well I think the PS2 are really something special, in terms of comfort, noise and grip. Coming from PS1's to PS2's made the car so lovely to drive. Supple, grippy and quiet. You really enjoy the car even if you are putzing around. I have since sold my E46 with the PS2's to the new owner and met up with him yesterday for yumcha, and he told me that all his buddies cant believe how comfortable the E46 was on 18" 35 series tyres and sports suspension. It really made a noticable difference in the "driving pleasure" of the car. Personally I believe the premium is justified for the PS2. To be honest the E90 on staggered 17's RFTs and stock suspension is not as comfortable as my ex-E46 on staggered 18's, PS2s and Sports Suspension. Quite amazing!

whooaaaaa.........really learnt a lot in this forum....thanks to all the gurus here....:)

David Yong;208859 said:
This is how my car look with the recently installed style 162s rims :)

22042007002.jpg

Are those 162's? They look a little different in finish and not so concaved as I thought..

BMW Style 162s
spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

Top Bottom