Type of modification on your E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Unlikely that it would be such a coincidence that some other reason has caused the multiple warnings other than the wheel mods, especially as DTC, DSC, DBC, Slope Assist & Run Flat Indicator are all wheel dynamics related. :confused:

I hope AB won't void your warranty if you go to them. This should be an interesting case for anyone else wanting to do similar wheel mods. Let us know what happens and good luck David. :)

Schwepps, unless David's workshop screwed up the install, a wheel swap and spacers do not affect the electronics in any way. In terms of rotational speeds, the wheels should've kept within similar diameters and a simple FTM reinitialization would've been enough to accomodate the change.

I've done the wheel swap and spacers, and that was done quite hamfistedly in a dark and rainy night out on someone's driveway and none of my sensors have acted up.

Again, the only instance/account I've seen where all the sensors lit up like a christmas tree was that one guy who overworked the car's traction systems. There was another guy who botched up a suspension install and his car started registering weird brake wear warnings but that was the extent of that.

Advie to David, I'd put the OEM setup back on prior to taking it to AB. If you were statesside I wouldn't worry but from what everyone is telling me, it seems AB are a pain in the asses to deal with for warranty claims.

Before anything, try to reboot the car by disconnecting the battery.

David,

I was at AB today to fix my oil leak, so I asked about wheel alignment and balancing, of course they said that have to come back to AB as this process involves the active steering as well.

So not sure when you did your wheels etc, did you also re-adjust the active steering settings? If not that may also cause a problem, but who knows, not sure. All the best man! I just hate the Xmas tree lights in contis!

Yeah I agree it shouldn't cause any problems, KL2DC, but it sure sounds like an overworked DTC, DSC, etc, hanging after trying to cope with reining in the car for a bit. It could be the FTM reinitiation wasn't done properly, it could be the active steering as danc says. :rolleyes:

Whatever it is, it's not a life-threatening problem. It can be fixed easily. It's just important to manage this carefully with AB. An interesting case, no? ;)

Guys, problems rectified!

While I was driving out today, I realized that the steering is not center. So I drove the car to tyre workshop to rectify this problem before sending in to AB to check on all the lights up problem. The tyre workshop re-aligned my steering back to center. The lights are still on as usual.

Upon arriving AB, I explained the whole scenario to AB and the stupid asshole SA told me that the problem caused from removal of the original tyre valves. According to him, there are sensors on the tyre valves and I shouldn't change the valves. I should go back to the tyre workshop and install back the original valves.

So I did like what he said and shoot to the tyre workshop again. On my way there, all the lights gone. I immediately stop the car and the engine. I restart the car and initialize the FTM. All the lights gone and everything back to normal.

When arrived the tyre workshop, the guy told me that what the car in AB said is totally bullshit! There is no sensor attach to the valves. It is just a normal rubber valve! They said it is because the steering is not center that causes it cannot detect the movement, hence those lights appeared. So now they have re-aligned it and after few rotation or movement, the reading is back and therefore the lights are gone and everything is back to normal.

What the tyre workshop guy said is very true. Now everything is back to normal. No light up.

Morale of the story..... AB do not know every problem of our car. They sometimes like to simply guess and give stupid answer or rather trying to run away from responsibility. I am very sure that if the lights persist, AB will definitely blame everything on the changing of wheels and will void my warranty and may ask me to pay for rectifying the problem.

Luckily this problem is rectified by just re-aligning the steering back to center or else.....

Hahahaha! AB is true to form. :)

Good for you David that it turned out fine, and your experience is a good tip for all of us in the future. Any idea why the steering was off centre? Just an error in the alignment by your tyre shop?

Yup, it is an error in the alignment by the tyre workshop. Our sifu KL2DC is absolutely right that the tyre workshop screwed up the install. And same with danc who highlighted the active steering setting. But then, AB is also f*****g stupid to give me such answer or solution.

How does the active steering play a part in the alignment process? Did your tyre shop tell you? Although my slowly coming 325i Sports won't have active steering, it's still interesting to know. :p

I'm not sure. They never tell me. It could be there's sensor interlink to each other. I mean the possibility of a sensor link between active steering, DTC, DSC, DTC, DBC, FTM, ABS, EBD & Slope Assist.

Calling our sifu KL2DC to explain this :)

Active Steering does work together with the car's stability controls (DTC, DSC, DBC, FTM, ABS, ABD, Hill Assist are all part of the same package).

DSC would actually intervene in instances where the yaw rate of the car crosses a certain threshold and dial in some degrees of counter steer via the AS. This is in addition to the braking and throttle modulation tools the DSC employs to keep your ass on the road.

To me this is the best value of AS, I am not a big fan of variable ratio steering wheels in general but automatic and instantaneous counter steer when needed is pretty darn cool! :p

Brief tech recap...(and because Herr Schwepps would expect nothing less :p )

BMW’s active steering system is an all-mechanical steering linkage that accepts, and at all times utilizes, two separate steering inputs—one from the driver and one from the car’s steering algorithm. At its most basic level, BMW’s system can modify the gain between the steering wheel input and the front wheels’ rotation angle, where the steering ratio is determined as a function of vehicle speed. During low-speed operation, the gain is moved to a high value, leading small rotation angles of the steering wheel to induce large rotation angles of the wheels (10:1 steering ratio of driver input to wheel output, which corresponds to a high gain and thus low ratio). This ratio allows the driver to maneuver the car with small steering inputs, removing the need for armover-
arm turning of the steering wheel.

High sensitivity to driver inputs, however, is undesirable during high-speed driving since minor, inadvertent steering wheel disturbances can induce large lateral movements of the vehicle. To avoid this problem, the steering ratio is increased (and thus gain and sensitivity are decreased) as speed increases, up to a maximum ratio of 20:1. Standard steering systems, or cars without active steering systems, have a fixed ratio of 14.1:1, which represents a compromise between the needs of low- and highspeed operation.

The guiding rationale for allowing the DSC system to take control from the driver is that there may be instances when the driver loses, or is on the verge of losing, control. For example, a slippery road condition may be encountered during a turn, or a driver may enter a turn at a speed that is too high for the tires to maintain sufficient lateral force, which can occur if an unexpected obstacle is encountered on the road. In each case the driver, due to insufficient training and experience, may apply too much steering input or actually steer in the wrong direction (wrong in the sense of what is needed to stabilize the vehicle).

With sufficient sophistication to determine the correct steering input, the stability algorithm can act to override the driver’s destabilizing input. The equations of motion governing the car’s response characteristics define an internal reference model of the vehicle. The output of this reference model, based on the vehicle’s known input conditions, is then used to determine whether the vehicle is responding acceptably to the driver’s commands. For instance, suppose that the driver is rounding a corner. The stability control algorithm checks to see whether, based on the tire’s slip angle, steering angle, and longitudinal speed, the yaw rate matches the rate required to negotiate the turn in a nominal manner. A yaw rate that is too high implies an oversteering condition, while an even more extreme yaw rate indicates that the car is in a spin. If the yaw rate is beyond the acceptable limits predefined by the algorithm, the brakes are activated at individual wheels and the throttle is modulated. The aim of these actions is to bring the car back on track, if possible.

In David's case, since the alignment/steering is off center, I imagine the yaw rates readings were out of spec setting off the christmas tree warning lights chain reactions.

Schwepps, you're probably wondering about the lack of AS in your upcoming 325i Sports but with a modicum of driving talent, you don't really need AS. Again, my view on AS is that it is a great convenience high tech feature. It might be nice to have but you absolutely don't need it to enjoy the E90's chassis and class setting steering feel...at the risk of sounding like a luddite :p

Alright.... we all learnt something new today. So if any of u guys wanted to change wheels, better make sure the tyre man do it well and if they ask you why... u can explain to him exactly like what our sifu mentioned :)

KL2DC;209253 said:
Schwepps, you're probably wondering about the lack of AS in your upcoming 325i Sports but with a modicum of driving talent, you don't really need AS. Again, my view on AS is that it is a great convenience high tech feature. It might be nice to have but you absolutely don't need it to enjoy the E90's chassis and class setting steering feel...at the risk of sounding like a luddite :p

No KL2DC, I knew that already, and in my back-to-back trial of the 325i Standard and Sports, I actually preferred the non-AS feel of the Sports. Remember? No you don't, because you need to go on a course of Gingko Forte :D

I'm just wondering if the tyre shops need to be extra careful when centering the steering for doing the alignment on an AS car or something, that's all. Could be helpful to know for all AS car owners, no? :confused:

My ass now feel a little bit of itchy!

After switching out from RFT, ride comfort improve a lot and now I am thinking whether to install the Eibach Pro-Kit or not, minimize the gap. Not sure if the ride comfort will be worst than on RFT ? If it's better than on RFT, then I dun mind changing the spring for a much lower effect. If the ride is exactly like running on RFT or worst..... then I will forget about it.

Any advice guys ?

David Yong;209515 said:
Not sure if the ride comfort will be worst than on RFT ? If it's better than on RFT, then I dun mind changing the spring for a much lower effect. If the ride is exactly like running on RFT or worst..... then I will forget about it.

Any advice guys ?

I'm doing my install on May 5th. I'll write a short review then and you can base some of your decision on that.

I've been in a 335i with ZSP sport package dampers and the eibach pro-kit and it feels smooth, no bounciness, no rubbing, no hard crashes. I thought that was encouraging but then again he's also running on 19" non-RFT which I am sure helps a lot.

Okie. Let me know once you have it installed. I'm very sure if the comfort is ok with you after installing it, then it will be much better for me as well since I'm running on non-RFT now.

My mods

Hi Guys

Have a 06 325 Black Sapphire.

My mods include:
-19 inch Breyton original flame sport with Dunlop Direzza 235/35/19 tyres
-Rear Eibach 15mm spacer
-Hamann chrome exhaust
-Mtec rear trunk spoiler
-Eibach Pro kit Springs
- Original BMW rear blacklines tail light (my favourite)
- Front Hamann eyebrows
-ICE including DVD
The car looks really fierce (thats what everyone tells me)

Future mods: black front kidney grills

No mods to engine till warranty runs out but thinking about exhaust and CF intake.

Will try to post pics but have to figure how to do it. If someone can help me post let me know.

Welcome onboard. You must be a new member here. Anyway, nice mods you have and if possible, post some pics. You can host those pics on a photo share site like photobucket before you IMG tag them onto here. By the way, there is a need for you to do a formal introduction of yourself at the newbie section and list yourself in our e90 list :)

hi sebbie,
how is the ride on the Eibach Pro Kit.... i jus bought my new rims and wanted to lower the car a bit... do you know the exact part code and number that is stamp on the spring itself.... your combination make me feel i can't ferry my old folk around town

sebbie;209546 said:
Hi Guys

Have a 06 325 Black Sapphire.

My mods include:
-19 inch Breyton original flame sport with Dunlop Direzza 235/35/19 tyres
-Rear Eibach 15mm spacer
-Hamann chrome exhaust
-Mtec rear trunk spoiler
-Eibach Pro kit Springs
- Original BMW rear blacklines tail light (my favourite)
- Front Hamann eyebrows
-ICE including DVD
The car looks really fierce (thats what everyone tells me)

Future mods: black front kidney grills

No mods to engine till warranty runs out but thinking about exhaust and CF intake.

Will try to post pics but have to figure how to do it. If someone can help me post let me know.

Top Bottom