Type of modification on your E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
David Yong;208583 said:
Danc,

The price for chrome exhaust tip for e90 325i is RM 348.00 and stock will be available in a week or two. I will be there once they call me to install it. For the 320i, the price is RM 260.00.

David,

Ok I need 2 sets (4 tips, for 2 325). Please help me book them and let me know when they arrive. I will then go over and hopefully be able to meet you and pick them up. I dont need them installed, so any cheaper?

Thanks,

armi;208647 said:
Only rear wheel right? Wouldn't sand and stones hit on ur back bumper then? Can show us a pic?

Yeah, the wheel spacers are on both the rear wheels. Why would sand and stones hit on my back bumper ? It is not related at all.

By the way, I have changed my rims today to the type 162s. 18" rims with 235/40/18 Michelin PS2 tyres. Now my car look so much different with 18" rims and spacers at the rear side.

Have not have the time to snap pic. Will post once I manage to snap some.

danc;208665 said:
David,

Ok I need 2 sets (4 tips, for 2 325). Please help me book them and let me know when they arrive. I will then go over and hopefully be able to meet you and pick them up. I dont need them installed, so any cheaper?

Thanks,

Alright, will inform my friend and let you know once stock available and maybe we can go there together. Most probably next week.

Price is the same even without installation.

David Yong;208681 said:
Yeah, the wheel spacers are on both the rear wheels. Why would sand and stones hit on my back bumper ? It is not related at all.

By the way, I have changed my rims today to the type 162s. 18" rims with 235/40/18 Michelin PS2 tyres. Now my car look so much different with 18" rims and spacers at the rear side.

Have not have the time to snap pic. Will post once I manage to snap some.

Wrong word - not your back bumper but your wheel arch area since your rear wheels are pushed out further.

162s... nice! Can't wait to see your pics as I have 162s as well and want to see it with spacers.

Congrats on the new 162's with Michelin PS2's. I believe they are one of the better RFTs available. Do show us pics on the new set of wheels, and may I enquire how much you got them for? (with the tyres of course :))

I doubt the PS2 are RFTs.

David, surprise that you did not stick to staggered setup. Any reason why? Heard from AB service guy that the staggered setup is the ideal setup for our E90s.

Just tested the 325 sports yesterday, must say the iDrive in the centre looks great! Ride quality's a little hard though (must be the 18" RFTs) but overall it's a great great car! Don't see how else to mod it to improve the looks

armi;208751 said:
Wrong word - not your back bumper but your wheel arch area since your rear wheels are pushed out further.

162s... nice! Can't wait to see your pics as I have 162s as well and want to see it with spacers.

Nope, it is just sitting nicely and it won't touch it. You may look at KL2DC's car & also Equalizer's car in the earlier post. Both their cars are with the 15mm wheel spacers.

danc;208797 said:
I doubt the PS2 are RFTs.

David, surprise that you did not stick to staggered setup. Any reason why? Heard from AB service guy that the staggered setup is the ideal setup for our E90s.

Yup, the PS2 is not RFT.

Without the RFT, it is much more comfortable and I love the ride much more as compared to with RFT.

Reason that I don't use the staggered setup is I can do tyre rotation every 10k kms. With staggered setup, rotation is impossible.

This is how my car look with the recently installed style 162s rims :)

22042007002.jpg

Next modifications in my list as follows:

1) Chrome exhaust tip
2) 8,000 HID bulbs
3) Rear spolier
4) Absorbers (Bilstein) & Suspension (Eibach)
5) M-Sport Bodykit

:) :)

Spaceman;208602 said:
avoid spacers if you can, david. i never trust spacers on rear wheel driven car.

get the correct offset.

If you're tracking or auto-x'ing the car hard, I wouldn't recommend spacers either. For everyday street use, good quality spacers with appropriate hardware works well enough. I wouldn't go beyond 15mm though, anything more puts too much stress on the hub assembly. I also wouldn't put spacers up front.

Interestingly, if you look at Porsche's loooooong options list, they offer front and rear spacers option from the factory.

Its a cost effective way to increase track width, I guess.

David Yong;208841 said:
Yup, the PS2 is not RFT.

Without the RFT, it is much more comfortable and I love the ride much more as compared to with RFT.

Reason that I don't use the staggered setup is I can do tyre rotation every 10k kms. With staggered setup, rotation is impossible.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your requirements and new setup. PS2s are a great choice and I understand the need to rotate.

The 15mm spacers fill out the rear nicely without going to staggered setup.

Nice!

While I was driving just now, suddenly the warning sign came out showing the following malfunction: DTC, DSC, DBC, Slope Assist & Run Flat Indicator! I stop the car and restart it and the message is still there. Dunno what happen.

David, nice wheels! :) If it's any help, that's almost the same as my problem with wifey's W211 last week. The car started, but the DSC, ABS and engine lights came on and the gear selector wouldn't move out of P. It turned out to be a faulty Engine Control Unit port (Merc calls it a gateway) that caused the christmas tree display and car lockdown.

As a rule, if it's just one warning light, then it's either that function or the sensor of that function that's failed. But if it's many lights all coming on suddenly, then it's likely to be a port or the ECU itself or software failure.

Of course in your case, you have to consider that you've just changed the wheel size, put spacers, and gone non-staggered and non-RFT. Could be the sensor settings are out now.

Nope, its mere coincidence. The aftermarket wheels did not cause the faults. The wheels are or are within OEM specs in rotational size and I am sure David reinitialize the FTM. There really aren't anymore electronic doo-hickeys in that area. Countless of folks have done wheel swaps and spacers with no ill effects.

Of course, I cannot guarantee the local service people won't red flag the mods and lazily blame them for all that went wrong in David's car.

I'll check to see what's up. This is relatively rare.

The only case I remember seeing was when on e90post member foolishly persisted on driving in snow on the summer wheels/tires setup. Well he was slipping and sliding all day and then all the warning lights came on. It seems the DSC/ASC/ABS systems were overworked in trying to reign the car in. It might be a similar situation where for some reason or another the sensors were overworked.

In the meanwhile, David, try a cold reboot. Detach the battery connections for a couple of minutes and put them back on.

Yup, I did reinitialize the FTM immediately upon the wheels were changed. As usual, they did the wheel alignment and balancing plus adjust the camber which is necessary according to them since I upgraded the wheel from 17" to 18". Everything is fine until this afternoon where the DSC, DTC, DBC & RFT signs came out.

Like Schwepps said, it could be the sensors setting are out. Hopefully this is the issue. Then it can be easily reset by AB.

I will be visiting them tomorrow morning and hopefully they won't put the blame on me changing the wheels and adding the spacers!

Top Bottom