Transmission error (again)!!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
fashraf;523576 said:
Dear all sifus (including sifu Jarance), Need you guys input before I burn my pocket again..

My transmission error pops out again last night till now after almost 6 months. When this happens, the gear shifting become very rough and jerky. But the transmission still can engage all gears till 5th gear. But shifting down VERY jerky :afraid:

I notice that when I start the car this time, the engine oil check lights up in orange color (suppose this check the engine oil level only right?) then the transmission error pops out...

Went to mechanic, after check with the diagnostic device they notice the air mass flow have no reading. Went to change a new air mass flow (cost almost rm800) but the problem still there (air mass no reading + transmission error still there)

Is the engine oil sign (orange color) pops out for few seconds is giving some hint on the problem? Hope you guys can help... pleaseeee...:frown:

Hi Sifus,

I just faced this problem today, mine's an e46 325i. Experience rough and jerky when up & down shift. I can feel air rushing out from exhaust when gear change sound like "pop". Also felt treble and loud gear rotating noise on bottom centre of my car,believe came from the gb.

Then came on the emergency gear signal, where i believe it when into emergency gear. When I restart, every back to normal but you can still feel the heavy jerk when upshift, then the signal came back again.

To all sifus, pls give some advice.

EtEE;579592 said:
Hi Sifus,

I just faced this problem today, mine's an e46 325i. Experience rough and jerky when up & down shift. I can feel air rushing out from exhaust when gear change sound like "pop". Also felt treble and loud gear rotating noise on bottom centre of my car,believe came from the gb.

Then came on the emergency gear signal, where i believe it when into emergency gear. When I restart, every back to normal but you can still feel the heavy jerk when upshift, then the signal came back again.

To all sifus, pls give some advice.

Since u having this problem which considered as major one, i will suggest u quickly send ur car to Ah Meng (MSPEED) to verify and repair asap. Dont wait longer as it might become worst.

I've just send my car to Ah Meng there to change Mass Air Flow cause my engine warning light was appear. He told me that i've just changed the valvebody so the remain thing could result the warning light is the MAF. So i decided to change, and now the car superb condition (went down to Ipoh and tested). Meaning he can pin point the problem, so go send to him and solve it.

perryyip73;579721 said:
Since u having this problem which considered as major one, i will suggest u quickly send ur car to Ah Meng (MSPEED) to verify and repair asap. Dont wait longer as it might become worst.

I've just send my car to Ah Meng there to change Mass Air Flow cause my engine warning light was appear. He told me that i've just changed the valvebody so the remain thing could result the warning light is the MAF. So i decided to change, and now the car superb condition (went down to Ipoh and tested). Meaning he can pin point the problem, so go send to him and solve it.

perryyip73 : Have send my car back to Mzone (Kd), this time round they change 1 x solediod (if spelling correct) and the problem is solve. However i felt the lost of pull factor when on 3rd & 4th gear.
Something like during 4k to 5k rev you can hear the ultimate Mpower roar but the car is NOT moving forward.

Maybe ah Meng is experience and I should visit him for 2nd opinion. Can I know where is is workshop.

brothers....i have a similar but ironically i have no warning light appearing BUT the downshift for 1st and 2nd gear jerks hard....BUT ironically, if the car runs hard after a while, the downshift jerks less and very very mild...after reading all the advice in this forum, i became more confused. If the MAF is faulty, am i suppose to get a warning light? appreciate any further advice...

EtEE;579883 said:
perryyip73 : Have send my car back to Mzone (Kd), this time round they change 1 x solediod (if spelling correct) and the problem is solve. However i felt the lost of pull factor when on 3rd & 4th gear.
Something like during 4k to 5k rev you can hear the ultimate Mpower roar but the car is NOT moving forward.

Maybe ah Meng is experience and I should visit him for 2nd opinion. Can I know where is is workshop.

How much are the solenoid cost..?

kshapawi;599923 said:
How much are the solenoid cost..?

If I recall correctly its bout RM160 each. Did not charge labour since it happen after changing ATF oil. FYI you need to flush ATF oil before they can remove and change the solenoid. Best advise do it when your ATF oil change is due

I think I need to change the Silenoid...maybe it's slugish ...my water cooler for GB broke and water mixed with my ATF. Do change the ATF but the GB error still come out with error gear1 and gear2 check....when leave car for 2 days without start when start GB look ok can change gear1, 2 and until 5 with slipping in gear 1 and 2 but still ok...when hot error come back and gear 1 and 2 cannot engage...most of the workshop recommend to rebuild GB...maybe they do not want to investigate and waste their time...but I found some info in couple of forum siad maybe the silenoid 1 and 2 are the issue and need to replace...not sure whether to go for 6k fix or just 1k fix but not sure will resolve....if 1k fix not resolving...then it will be 6k + 1k...price will be more by 1k....if 1k fix resolved problems...then ..save 6k.... huhu...anybody have the same issue before please advice...

avictar;597780 said:
brothers....i have a similar but ironically i have no warning light appearing BUT the downshift for 1st and 2nd gear jerks hard....BUT ironically, if the car runs hard after a while, the downshift jerks less and very very mild...after reading all the advice in this forum, i became more confused. If the MAF is faulty, am i suppose to get a warning light? appreciate any further advice...

any help here?....thnks again...

last week out of sudden my ASC and EML lights both on at the same time as well as the gearbox warning indicator.
car can only move at 3rd gear cannot downshift.
switch of the engine for 10 secs and all went back to normal.
went to workshop and was diagnosed that the EML box, the one unit that have the throttle body type with butterfly flap kaput.
got it changed with used unit and now working fine.
lucky not the gearbox.

Top Bottom