engine suddenly stop.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
wolverine;768715 said:
Check the throttle housing assembly...very common for these models to breakdown & give these symptoms.
Your mechanic really did an error code reading...?!? :burnout::burnout:

yes correct N42 engine,when battery light come out speed about 80km/j,already check battery connections all tight.Will be checking the throttle housing assy tomorrow.

thanks for your advice guys.

Check if your fuel pump is failing. Best to get a proper diagnostics done. I too had the same issue as yours and the crank shaft sensor fixed it for good. But in the process changed the fuel pump as well which I didnt have to do. I did keep the old pump just in case. g'luck

pudin6037;768717 said:
yes correct N42 engine,when battery light come out speed about 80km/j,already check battery connections all tight.Will be checking the throttle housing assy tomorrow.

thanks for your advice guys.

Have u checked o2 sensor and air filter?mine had the same symptom as urs..exactly the same..i'm using N42 also..just fixed today..when 1st diagnosed all error crank,cam,air pump relay,O2 sensor..cleared and only 2 came up..02 bank 1 before cat and air pump relay..even after changed the 02 sensor the prob still there..then tried disconnecting the air filter box and the syptom disappeared..no choking..no vibration..engine didn't die..so changed the filter..diagnosed and tested few times and error gone.. driving feels much better..seems like fuel consumption also much better today..

After changed the new alternator,the charging light still show up and engine shut down.After diagnosed don't showing any error but what I found is my air cond compressor problem,becausehave a noise sound when start the engine after 5min engine shut down it self.Try running the engine without connect the belt with the compressor bearing,in this case need the short and engine running well.After 100km drive charging light no show up any more,what I thinking is compressor bearing already broken and can't rotate properly and can give effect to the others rotation like alternator rotation cause of that maybe can't charging properly that why engine died.Right now waiting the new air cond compressor to fix the problem and hopefully coming by monday.Cukup lah I kena this time,hopefully no more problem come lah after this.Thanks to all sifu's out there give me advice and suggestions,very appreciate that.

pudin6037;769267 said:
After changed the new alternator,the charging light still show up and engine shut down.After diagnosed don't showing any error but what I found is my air cond compressor problem,becausehave a noise sound when start the engine after 5min engine shut down it self.Try running the engine without connect the belt with the compressor bearing,in this case need the short and engine running well.After 100km drive charging light no show up any more,what I thinking is compressor bearing already broken and can't rotate properly and can give effect to the others rotation like alternator rotation cause of that maybe can't charging properly that why engine died.Right now waiting the new air cond compressor to fix the problem and hopefully coming by monday.Cukup lah I kena this time,hopefully no more problem come lah after this.Thanks to all sifu's out there give me advice and suggestions,very appreciate that.
bro i'm in the same boat at urs right now..last time i've changed bank1 o2 sensor and it only ok for 50km only the problem started again.bro do you have any aircond prob before this happened?

ichi82;769454 said:
bro i'm in the same boat at urs right now..last time i've changed bank1 o2 sensor and it only ok for 50km only the problem started again.bro do you have any aircond prob before this happened?

before my air cond running well just compressor sound noise maybe bearing already broken.Yesterday I test drive without connecting belt with the compressor the problem still same..just can about 40km after that battery warning light came and engine like jerk,RPM become gila up and down it self and engine died it self.I become frust with my car right now..already do everthing like all sifu's say but problem still happen.Can drive but after a while died it self.

pudin6037;769477 said:
before my air cond running well just compressor sound noise maybe bearing already broken.Yesterday I test drive without connecting belt with the compressor the problem still same..just can about 40km after that battery warning light came and engine like jerk,RPM become gila up and down it self and engine died it self.I become frust with my car right now..already do everthing like all sifu's say but problem still happen.Can drive but after a while died it self.

If you did everything check the fuel pump. maybe it died because no fuel to engine. That will not give any error.

Keep your old alternator and coils, the same symptoms happened to my e36 m43 as the fault is caused by the aging fuel pump

pudin6037;769477 said:

any error code when that happened?did ur gear indicator lights up and unable to start for a while?while the symptom seems point to crank sensor but the persistent error after clear is O2 sensor. sifu can this be the culprit?before this O2 bank 1..after change the car felt smoother and no vibration when idling(before was terrible)rpm also stable but when i put in reverse it jerk and rpm goes haywire..(not always)noticed that my consumption meter did not respond properly when i pressed the pedal..if when it in good mood the meter is following my pedal acceleration properly..can O2 caused this?can it cause other sensor to trigger when it fails?

aidilj;769484 said:
If you did everything check the fuel pump. maybe it died because no fuel to engine. That will not give any error.

Already check the fuel pump bro..the reading is normal nothing wrong with that.I did everthing what all the sifu advice and suggest..I changed the new battery,new sensors,new alternator,fuel filter,new spark plug,service air filter and MAF but problem still there..can drive only 30 to 50km after that charging light came out,car become jark and shutdown it self..after waiting for a while can start the engine but can drive about 200m and problem start came again.Anything else I need to change to fix this problem?really feel broken heart about my car lah bro..

pudin6037;769605 said:
Already check the fuel pump bro..the reading is normal nothing wrong with that.I did everthing what all the sifu advice and suggest..I changed the new battery,new sensors,new alternator,fuel filter,new spark plug,service air filter and MAF but problem still there..can drive only 30 to 50km after that charging light came out,car become jark and shutdown it self..after waiting for a while can start the engine but can drive about 200m and problem start came again.Anything else I need to change to fix this problem?really feel broken heart about my car lah bro..

Frustrated that the workshop can't debug this problem. If you're local then I can help but you're from east coast right? east coast bimmer help needed here..?

aidilj;769614 said:
Frustrated that the workshop can't debug this problem. If you're local then I can help but you're from east coast right? east coast bimmer help needed here..?

yes I from east coast,kemaman area.Only that workshop have in kemaman no one else,so I have no choice lah bro..just got information from local people,have one more workshop at the kerteh area just near from kemaman.They have experience like this before,Will try asked them what is the main problem with my car, who know they can fix the problem.Currently I let kemaman workshop doing first if still can't fix the problem,I will sent to kerteh..very tired already thinking abot my car.Thanks for your advice bro.will let you know the status soon.

bro pudin6037, have you try to diagnose when the errors appeared?

pudin6037;769684 said:
yes I from east coast,kemaman area.Only that workshop have in kemaman no one else,so I have no choice lah bro..just got information from local people,have one more workshop at the kerteh area just near from kemaman.They have experience like this before,Will try asked them what is the main problem with my car, who know they can fix the problem.Currently I let kemaman workshop doing first if still can't fix the problem,I will sent to kerteh..very tired already thinking abot my car.Thanks for your advice bro.will let you know the status soon.

TeD;769710 said:
bro pudin6037, have you try to diagnose when the errors appeared?

yes bro I already diagnosed many time but the result still same nothing wrong came out on computer screen.This problem start appeared 3 or 4 days ago..right now I don't care how much I need to pay to fixed the problem,I just want to my car get back on the road.

Hi all,

Glad to telling you guys that my car just get it back on the road today,Just small problem actually but make me pening you know what,dirty MAF.Before the mechanic not making the good cleaning maybe not cleaning the sensor but today I open it and clean it the sensor with the proper way.After put everything together and test drive around 100km the problem gone.Now no more charging light come out and car running smoothly.Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

So glad to hear your car is back in action. Thanks for sharing

pudin6037;771270 said:
Hi all,

Glad to telling you guys that my car just get it back on the road today,Just small problem actually but make me pening you know what,dirty MAF.Before the mechanic not making the good cleaning maybe not cleaning the sensor but today I open it and clean it the sensor with the proper way.After put everything together and test drive around 100km the problem gone.Now no more charging light come out and car running smoothly.Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

pudin6037;771270 said:
Hi all,

is it bro?glad to hear that..what did you use to clean the MAF?care to share how to clean it?

ichi82;771304 said:
is it bro?glad to hear that..what did you use to clean the MAF?care to share how to clean it?

Thanks bro,what I do to clean the MAF is open the MAF sensor and then shoot with the air pressure gun.same with the MAF housing,if MAF very dirty you can see alot of dust lah.Still can't belief this problem can make my car totally shut down.Thanks

pudin6037;771589 said:
Thanks bro,what I do to clean the MAF is open the MAF sensor and then shoot with the air pressure gun.same with the MAF housing,if MAF very dirty you can see alot of dust lah.Still can't belief this problem can make my car totally shut down.Thanks
did you get irritating noise and choking when put reverse gear..i diagnose using INPA it keep pointing to O2 sensor but i'm not sure if O2 sensor can cause engine to stop..will try to clean the MAF first before anything..

Top Bottom