Topping up engine oil on 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

MSport

Club Guest
Guys,For those with E90 325i, do you experience that your engine oil level drops to the minimum level? This happens after doing about 9,500+ to 10,500 kms. Then, you will need to top-up 1 liter. From what SA service man said, this is normal for the 325i but does not happen on the 320i.Anyone else experienced this?

MSport, in my 1st 325i Sports unit the oil hardly dropped before and after the 1st service at 10k, and I never had to top up. Why should some units burn oil and some not? Anyone has any idea why? :dontknow:

the i-drive on my 325i sports showed the oil dropped to 2 out of 5 squares at 8000km...SA said caused by my driving out of town two weekends in a row...long distance driving evaporated the oil.i thought his explanation was a waste of my time.but i do change my oil every 8k interval since then.

Mine only dropped one bar at 10k. The SA's explanations for the oil burn variations are pure fantasy! :(

Schwepps;333098 said:
Mine only dropped one bar at 10k. The SA's explanations for the oil burn variations are pure fantasy! :(

I guess so. But they claim that BMW is made for performance and engine oil level dropping is expected. To me, it still does not make sense to drop 2-3 bars in the display.:stupid:

what type of engine oil you guys use? fully synthetic? I heard fully synthetic oil evaporated very fast..., especially Mbl1. :stupid:

My old car never need to top up, using semi-syn oil. :rock: :top:

I am using fully synth in SLOTH, both Mobil1 and Castrol, never had to top up....

wan520i;333112 said:
what type of engine oil you guys use? fully synthetic? I heard fully synthetic oil evaporated very fast..., especially Mbl1. :stupid:

My old car never need to top up, using semi-syn oil. :rock: :top:

Hi,

I having same problem on my E46 318i 2.0 N42 engine year 2001. Heavy oil burning until everytime shut off engine, yellow light on for engine light. After check oil dipstick, oil at mininum mark and sometime below mininum mark. I have to top up myself. I am using Mobil 1 5w-50 full syth oil, any suggestion or advise?c :listen:

MSport;333106 said:
But they claim that BMW is made for performance and engine oil level dropping is expected.

Fantasy! :stupid: I've owned several 200+ bhp "performance" cars, normally-aspirated, turbo-charged, super-charged. None of them burned oil. Burned petrol yes, but burned oil no.

yes, my car (325 e90) has the same problem, so i just top up with 1 litre syntium

This topic has been discussed over and over again.. but still a mystery.. :smokin:

Some lucky folks even managed to claim a new engine due to this.. while some stick to it.. means keep toping up la.

SC spoke person when we interviewed him, he did mentioned he hope this subject can be avoided because difficult to explain and difficult to understand.

According to the findings, all the 2.5 6-potter in the 3s and 5s are pre-filled with a special grade oil, pre-assemble back in Germany, imported in one piece, filled with the special grade oil. These special oil has foaming effect in Malaysia, suspect due to the weather. That's why the 6-potters are required to replace engine oil at 10k km, to quickly remove these special grade oil. After that, the level shall stabilise.

How true is it? Its for u folks to find out!

At least, that explained why tail pipe not wet, yet engine oil still vanish... only one way out, that's into the thin air! :D

Many N52B25 owners really bought the SC story that it's normal for BMW engine due to the high performance set up and keep topping up their oil.

Now, if the foaming of 1st fill oil exist, after 1st service and replaced with Syntium or Helix, the engine should run normal and should not be any more engine oil topping up after that... anybody can confirm this?

The engine oil level of my 325i dropped to a low level which triggered the warning sign when the car clocked about 8k km, sent the car for 1st service & replaced the engine oil accordingly. The engine oil level now still stays at "max" as shown in the OBC with a current mileage of 18k km.

Some truth in what had been said?

If too constant of an engine oil top up warrants you to get it "problem" sorted out ASAP.

4 potter can also have these problem. if you sayang your car and you'll change the engine oil every 15,000km and you might not have a chance to find out that your engine oil is reducing cos OBC will only prompt if you need to top up 1 litre.

My Engine oil change history
1st services: 15,000KM
2nd services: 30,000km
OBC prompt top up 1 litre @ 50,000km

20,000km after 2nd services and OBC prompt me to top up liao. SA is investigating for me now, there r monitoring the level.

dannis;333886 said:
4 potter can also have these problem. if you sayang your car and you'll change the engine oil every 15,000km and you might not have a chance to find out that your engine oil is reducing cos OBC will only prompt if you need to top up 1 litre.

My Engine oil change history
1st services: 15,000KM
2nd services: 30,000km
OBC prompt top up 1 litre @ 50,000km

20,000km after 2nd services and OBC prompt me to top up liao. SA is investigating for me now, there r monitoring the level.

Push them for an engine change and if possible... change to a 325 engine :wink:

Top Bottom