Tint For E46

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

terry8

Club Guest
What brand is the best tint paper to use (optimised for cost too) ? Replaced my windscreen and now i need some tinting in the front. The tinting i did is bad because all the heat iscoming through the frontI want to change it now

Been checking around - found out that every brand have different tinting material so its important to compare apple to apple. Best is to focus on the IRR (infrared rejection) - the higher the bette becoz this is what keeps your car cooler.

I tinted my E46 at Auto Tint, Chan Sow Lin, KL. I opted for Llumar Crystal 6 instead of Diamond 6 because my car is blue in color. I was told that Diamond 6 has greenish in it. So it is no as it may not be compatible :)

The personnel were quite friendly. Spoke to Fatimah and Stephen of the front desk. Quoted me RM 1700. Oh btw, Stephen told me the difference between Diamond 6 and Crystal 6 is only 0.06%.

PS: I chose Llumar because I was made to know that it is anti theft. Takes about 40 seconds to break it, so i was told. As for the heat rejection, I'm quite happy with it even if i park under the sun.

ochuat;709579 said:
IRR is it higher better?

Yes IRR the higher the better. IRR stands for Infrared Rejection.

The Infrared component of light is the part which gives out the heat we feel.

After researching the promotion around, my suggestion is not to go for the promotion because they will give you the tint with IRR between 60% to 70+% only.

Go for 90% and above. Also if you want safety, go for tint which is 6 millimeters and above. These thickness will prevent people from easily braking your window and snatching your things.

My suggestion is to look into the specification of the tint they have and choose the right tint and then ask for a price.

All brands have low end tint and the good tint.

Terry :cool:

after i installed a 99% IRR film at front screen and 84% IRR film on side screen, i touch the screen from inside, i can feel the heat at front 99% IRR, i suppose i should feel it cool but not the case, why?

i feel the side screen 84% IRR is cool, i guess it is due to side screen less expose to sunlight

ochuat;712415 said:
after i installed a 99% IRR film at front screen and 84% IRR film on side screen, i touch the screen from inside, i can feel the heat at front 99% IRR, i suppose i should feel it cool but not the case, why?

i feel the side screen 84% IRR is cool, i guess it is due to side screen less expose to sunlight

I can guarantee you that 99% IRR tint will be cooler than 84% IRR tint. If this is the case, you better check if they have given you the 99% IRR tint.

I have done my car for RM 900 (after hard bargaining) with 97% IRR tint on the windscreen and 90% IRR tint on the other windows and I tell you the car is so much cooler even though i left it in the sun for a few hours. The tint is also 6 mm so it also offer security against breaking of windows by snatch thief.

Better check if you did get 99% IRR tint - anyway I am not even sure you can get 99% IRR tint on windscreen.

Terry:burnout:

It also occurred to me that the sunlight is direct on the windscreen as compared to the side window. Therefore, the windscreen is exposed to more direct sunlight as compared to the side windows.

Just a thought.

Terry

Bro Terry, care to share which brand did you opt for? thanks.

gendong;712734 said:
Bro Terry, care to share which brand did you opt for? thanks.

As i mentioned earlier the brand is not important - check their tint specifications.

I went for the 6 mm Rhine pro xd5 tint from cool world

Hi Terry

i paid RM680 for 99% IRR at front screen and around 84% IRR for side and back screen
There is a tester machine to check the film IRR% and UV% before install.

regards

ochuat;713364 said:
Hi Terry

i paid RM680 for 99% IRR at front screen and around 84% IRR for side and back screen
There is a tester machine to check the film IRR% and UV% before install.

regards

That is good price - another aspect you need to ask for is the thickness of the paper. The paper i got is 6 mm which offers safety where you can try smashing the window with a hammer and it takes about 6-7 times before the window breaks but it does not shatter and still cannot be opened.

Have one problem with the tint - the demister is not working properly. I wonder if the thick tinting paper is absorbing all the heat.

Top Bottom