Key fob problem (video)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
NCH;538157 said:
If the first click doesn't work, what should I do? wait for 2 seconds and press again??

Anyway I'll have the rear tint removed to see if the range improves.

Wait at least 1 sec. You were going 3-4 clicks per sec and it just ain't going to work even if you're in range - you're defeating the system before it can complete the cycle.

Range is another issue. As E46F says, your tint does look pretty dark.

NCH, any possibility on the tint guys messing up the rear window's "antenna" ? Maybe it's broken?

MSport;538188 said:
NCH, any possibility on the tint guys messing up the rear window's "antenna" ? Maybe it's broken?

I don't know. And it's not like they will admit to have damaged the antenna.

Going to remove the tint later today.

If problem stays after removal, SC will handle.

If problem is eradicated, Tint Shop will compensate. I hope they'll do another tint that doesn't interfere with the signal.

NCH;538205 said:

If problem is eradicated, Tint Shop will compensate. I hope they'll do another tint that doesn't interfere with the signal.

Bro
Hope the issue can be resolved. Keep us posted ya

megatnh;538174 said:
I m still doubtful it's the tint...I thought the frequency has the radius for it to detect...most probably they have to replace the FOB and the alarm system

It can be the tint megatnh. V-Kool is metallic and alloy particles on film and is 'spectrally-selective'. Meaning it cuts out certain wavelengths. We don't know which waveband the BMW system works on, but it's probably up in the high bands. If I'm not wrong, V-Kool Elite is the top of their range and supposedly cuts out more than 90% of infrared and ultraviolet waves. The level of darkness is a direct indication of the level of spectral exclusion. We need to be careful not to go too far with tinting or some sensor systems will be affected.

Schwepps;538222 said:
It can be the tint megatnh. V-Kool is metallic and alloy particles on film and is 'spectrally-selective'. Meaning it cuts out certain wavelengths. We don't know which waveband the BMW system works on, but it's probably up in the high bands. If I'm not wrong, V-Kool Elite is the top of their range and supposedly cuts out more than 90% of infrared and ultraviolet waves. The level of darkness is a direct indication of the level of spectral exclusion. We need to be careful not to go too far with tinting or some sensor systems will be affected.

Schwepps
It could be the tint but it's hard for me to swallow how mellow the BMW sensor system is...that means those vvip with totally black tint has no protection system except with their bodyguard and driver taking car of the car for them...he he

Hopefully its the tint so our friend here can enjoy the car better rather than being bogged down with this issue...

NCH;538205 said:

NCH,

I have the same problem, find it difficult to make it works sometimes and the range is not as good as my other car ( japs ). FYI, I have the same tint film, v70 front and 40 all around..could it be the culprit?? Awaitng your findings, otherwise will need to visit SC again.

BTW, what is comfort access ? :smile:

ive got the same problem on my LCI.. im running huper optik ceramic 30 all round.. CA was never an issue before the tints..

VKool Elite rocks! :rock: IR filtering of well over 97% while UV filtering of over 99%. Best in the industry :top:

I can never get my auto gate to work if I didn't wind down my window. My Elite all round, FOB activation range is no more than 3 feet.

Also when pressing the FOB, hold a little longer as Schwepps mentioned, this is not conventional RF remote thingy. Part of a safety feature to avoid unintentional activation while FOB in our pant's pocket.

I think u can set the door unlock to either unlock driver's door or all 4 doors. That way, ur GF no need to wait long long. But security issue of ending up with 2 more uninvited guest to the back seat while u climb in.. :p :eek:

Getting my car tomorrow. Tinted with "Wincar" (if I am correct abt the brand). The sales gave me an option to take Vkool or "wincar". Sales told Vkool sometimes got problem with these kind of matters (wireless frequency).

NCH, hopefully all turns out fine.

Mystery solved: IT IS THE REAR WINDSCREEN TINT!

Had the v-Kool 40 removed and the key fob range improved significantly. Range not as awesome as the 320d courtesy car but it's at least something acceptable. Going to test thoroughly again before I present final verdict to SC.

v-Kool tint films are metallic, often associated with signal interference. I'm not risking it again this time so I'm gonna get ceramic film.

v-Kool 40
Visible Light Transmittance 43%
Solar Energy Rejection 65%
Visible Light Reflected 10%
UV Rejection 99%

Can somebody suggest me something with similar spec? Prefer bigger names like 3M, Llumar, Huper Optik ...

It has to be ceramic, and relatively dark to match v-Kool 40.

I've got v-Kool 70 for front windscreen and v-Kool 40 for 4 windows. Doesn't it look funny if I have 3 different tints on 1 car?

Will do it someday next week so I still have some time to do some research.

I kinda like the performance of VK40, what a shame to let it go something inferior :(

Good tint vs. Good fob range .. not easy to decide at all

If only I could have both then it would be perfect ....

NCH;538457 said:
Good tint vs. Good fob range .. not easy to decide at all

If only I could have both then it would be perfect ....

Good to hear that you've solved it NCH, and we've all learnt something here! :wink: You can have both...with a lower level of tint. Mine is V-Kool too but my range is 10m. And I want a shorter range anyway as I click only when I'm at the driver's door, the setting being to open only driver's door. Security is more important than convenience IMO. :)

Schwepps;538469 said:
Good to hear that you've solved it NCH, and we've all learnt something here! :wink: You can have both...with a lower level of tint. Mine is V-Kool too but my range is 10m. And I want a shorter range anyway as I click only when I'm at the driver's door, the setting being to open only driver's door. Security is more important than convenience IMO. :)

I agree with Scwepps :-D! Shorter distance better because you get robbers hiding around pillars and they jump in the moment you unlock the car from way off and grab what they want....

docrayboy;538483 said:
I agree with Scwepps :-D! Shorter distance better because you get robbers hiding around pillars and they jump in the moment you unlock the car from way off and grab what they want....

Nch
Great news ..now you can focus on enjoying your ride...
I m using 3M, don't remember the spec but it is working fine with the FOB

Good tint vs. Good fob range

I pick the lesser of 2 evil.. and go with "Good tint".. :p

Another option u can explore. Identify the antenna and allow a gap (non metalic tint) for transmission to go thru while other area still protected by V40.

The superb IR filtering offered by VKool is unmatched in the industry while the clarity and color shade it offer is so comfortable to my eyes that I had to accept whatever shortcoming that comes with it.

I'll be checking in my MPV to its HQ in S19 on the 9th July to replace tint film under warranty. 2 more week will be the expiry of the 5 year warranty, it wasn't VKool though, but Solar Guard :thumpdown: one of their lower range product.. decision time again.. should I top up for a better range.. ???

Mine is V-kool. But i dont know what model number. Will check when I get to the car later. But mine you, I was stopped by the police saying it was too dark!!! ok, what was ur expectation again? to have wat distance range? mine is about 10-15meters. but then i ONLY CLICK when i'm just beside the door for safety reason.....:) *learnt this from Unker..*

TGIF folks ;-)

racheltoh;538580 said:
Mine is V-kool. But i dont know what model number. Will check when I get to the car later. But mine you, I was stopped by the police saying it was too dark!!! ok, what was ur expectation again? to have wat distance range? mine is about 10-15meters. but then i ONLY CLICK when i'm just beside the door for safety reason.....:) *learnt this from Unker..*

TGIF folks ;-)

Hi
The thing is we have the option to use it either next to the bimmer or 15m away:wink:....I use it at a distance to check that I have properly locked it....:top:

ooo i m getting old le...i cant hear properly if i have lock at 15m away.. so i do the visual check..

racheltoh;538590 said:
ooo i m getting old le...i cant hear properly if i have lock at 15m away.. so i do the visual check..

No need to worry u can go next to the car or 15m away...still have the choice:top:. By the way there is no sound when u use the fob...I look at the lights...

Top Bottom