The bestest of Tints

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
like i said i dunno abt the current vkool but some time back that was how it was...
and that sometime back was when vkool first came into our shores...

Anybody tried 3M tint? New to the market, had it installed in my cousin's Grandis. Thought of changing mine to 3M... anybody has 3M in their car? Care to share the experience?

XXX;201532 said:
like i said i dunno abt the current vkool but some time back that was how it was...
and that sometime back was when vkool first came into our shores...

I remember that was necessary to cut a little square in the tint back in the day, but now not the case. Tried to check the V kool Malaysia website but I guess they didn't pay the bill, Singapore site up ok but no mention of auto toll thingys, would have been nice to get an official verdict :D

Vkool is smart tag friendly

Hi kawan kawan
Just to help those who are confused and unsure.
As someone had mentioned it, Smart Tag works with V-Kool. However, you will notice a slight drop in the transmit/receive signal strength maybe due to the v-kool particles and hence the gate opens a bit later when you are passing through. But it is not a problem at all as I have never been locked in the middle of the lane due to unreadable tag. It works on v-kool installed in 2001, in 2006 and in 2007 in all my cars. No issue with Smart Tag. I installed the 2001 one at v-kool HQ PJ and 2006/2007 at Tint Shop as the HQ directed me to this authorised dealer/installer. I only trust v-kool coz I am serious at cooling my car interior. Other tints might work but I don't want to risk time and money. Price - for 4 door sedan, current price - revised on 15 Jan 07 is RM2200. Expensive I would say but for me it's OK coz it lasts almost forever. Don't believe rumours, get the real facts and you can sleep well. Adios.

//nz

meetoo, sorry, don't have Smart Tag...

Actually, theoretically, with 94% blocking of IR for V-kool 70, Smart Tag should still works, and as experienced by qnazri... the reduced signal strength results in higher bit error rate, hence the slower response due to repeated re-transmission to counter the errors.

Forgot to add that... so, as a result, pls drive through the Smart Tag lane slower when you have V-kool. I believe the recommended speed is 20km/h only but I have seen people doing 40km/h through the lane. This IR technology used in Smart Tag is a bit slow and dependent on line-of-sight, the range where the Smart Tag can communicate with the gantry is very limited due to the directional nature of IR beams, driving through too fast may cause incomplete/failed transaction, especially with highly attenuated signal levels due to tints.

Unless anyone can say that they THEMSELF experienced trouble or slow response with Smart Tag through V-Kool that wasn't because of weak battery or not holding the tag correct, all this talk about Smart Tag not working through V-Kool is only rumour and hearsay. My Smart Tag had no problems since 2002 installed V-Kool and qnazri since 2001 installed, both installed at V-Kool HQ in PJ. So not imitation like some people suggest. My Smart Tag is an old 1994 unit, the first batch now 13 years old and still working. Bought directly from Plus Damansara toll plaza, so also not imitation.

What more proof do you want, or do forumers prefer to believe rumours?

qnazri;201573 said:
Hi kawan kawan
Just to help those who are confused and unsure.
As someone had mentioned it, Smart Tag works with V-Kool. However, you will notice a slight drop in the transmit/receive signal strength maybe due to the v-kool particles and hence the gate opens a bit later when you are passing through. But it is not a problem at all as I have never been locked in the middle of the lane due to unreadable tag. It works on v-kool installed in 2001, in 2006 and in 2007 in all my cars. No issue with Smart Tag. I installed the 2001 one at v-kool HQ PJ and 2006/2007 at Tint Shop as the HQ directed me to this authorised dealer/installer. I only trust v-kool coz I am serious at cooling my car interior. Other tints might work but I don't want to risk time and money. Price - for 4 door sedan, current price - revised on 15 Jan 07 is RM2200. Expensive I would say but for me it's OK coz it lasts almost forever. Don't believe rumours, get the real facts and you can sleep well. Adios.

//nz

mmm.... you are right. looks like most of the bros here prefer V-Kool than other brands. Wow... RM2200 expensive... but worth it, i am guess 70 all round for a
E36? Getting it done soon, heat these days is just unbearable.

Do I need to make an appointment in Sec 19 HQ or just go there and do it? How long is the estimate time for the job to complete?

cheers

meetooo

are u a vkool salesman? why so defensive? I was a vkool user from 1998 and like nemesis said there was a need to cut a hole then and during that period if your smart tag works than its not vkool that is how it was diffrentiated. Infact that was one of their marketing ploys to tell the cutomer that its so good that even the smarttag cannot read. Now they have reduce the ir rejection so it works but b4 this the ir rejection rate was much higher. Pls read carefully b4 you start shooting...i was joking when i said urs was imitation didnt you read the 'kekekek' in the post...but long time ago that was the case 'If smarttag can read than its not vkool'. but come to think of it, if i everytime have to open my window to put my tag out to go through the smart tag lane then I can show off Im damn cool bcos got V-Kool ...muahahhaha:D

roland

the 3M on paper sound's impressive and coming from an established company like 3M which was one of the pioneers i think one cannot go wrong...v-kool is over hyped already.

XXX,
Yup, agree that on paper it is impressive. Just wan to know if anybody is willing to share their X-perience (pardon the pun!) with 3M (if any. Price-wise, I would say that it is commanding the same price as V-kool. Just wan to know the comparison between the two. Personally, I think that V-kool is overhyped and oversold., especially in this thread. Maybe you're right XXX, some forummers here have business dealings with V-kool?

I have no business dealings with V-Kool. Assumptions like that and "jokes" about me using imitations are not funny if they're not true. We are talking about the present which is 2007...what is the value to us of talking about the "situation" in the previous century?

Please read the forum rules posted by the Committee:
'4. Don't post if you've got nothing useful to say'

Haha.. bro XXX.. you've just got a thing for controversial chats, haven't you?

meetoo, relak laa bro.. hehe.. if the post makes merely ourself laugh, then one would consider it "useful".. :D

Hi guys,
thought I'd break up the slightly stressful quotes. Anyway I have a yr 2000 E46 which I have owned for about 2 yrs now. From what I could see on the labels, it read V-Kool and I am presuming it is original and not fake and also guessing that it was installed in yr 2000. News for all, no matter how slow I go through or wherever I placed the Smart Tag in the car, I would say it sucks. Worked probably once out of 50 times. Caused me so much stress being stuck at the toll that I would say it definitely didn't work for me.......although, I would say for cooling the car....perfect.....
Well now..... no more problem.....new windscreen and no tint......ST working like a charm (my ST is a new one too)
Car now very hot laaa....have to put a tint so waiting for more advice here before hopefully getting "the right one" Cheers all.

:D
StRat;201633 said:
Haha.. bro XXX.. you've just got a thing for controversial chats, haven't you?

meetoo, relak laa bro.. hehe.. if the post makes merely ourself laugh, then one would consider it "useful".. :D

hahhahahah:D :D :D ...what to do some people dunno how to take the chill pill...maybe have to resort to using more emoticons..:D :eek: :mad: :p :( :) :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: bcos words got no emotions make a joke also people say something else...sigh:(

I do remember they said if you can use smart tag its not v-kool....

Funny thing happened to me was that i wind down the window one day to use the smart tag ... i dropped the bugger on the road and broke my tag!

But i think the improvement nowadays is not the v-kool, but maybe the samrt tag transmitter maybe??

I am using Vkool 70 (elite) for my front windscreen and I go through smart tags everyday at least 3 times. I have no problems with the smart tag and VKool.

Heard that if you use their other range ......hmm the verdict is still out.

Noticed as well that the standard windscreen has a portion on top that is not coated if you have opted for the climate confort (or something). I don't need to put my smart tag at that spot and it still works. (With VKool covering the entire glass surface.

not trying to add flame to it, but i must agree with xxx's experience.

was using v-kool till mid-2003 n everytime have to do a 'salute' to the sensor b4 barrier opened. at first, thought defect or low-batt then complain banyak-banyak, n even the smartag operator told me off by saying i shouldnt have use v-kool if wanna use their convinient tags. so back then, the saying was to know ya tint genuine or not, go through tol house la..hahaha or live with the ugly 'escape hole' on some part of the frontwindscreen.

but since technology changes so fast, maybe not a problem anymore now..

hey guys, what about other tints?

I am sure that there are also other brands that are value for the money that you pay.

jarance;201754 said:
hey guys, what about other tints?

I am sure that there are also other brands that are value for the money that you pay.

aaaaiyoh... now i also very confuse liao... :eek:
Did some research on tints that are available here in Malaysia.....

This is what i came across.. that are probably worth buying:
1) v-kool
2) rike kool
3) 3M
4) Huper Optik
5) kristal bond (this is a spray on?!!!)

Still i think I will go with the flow with v-kool 70, unless someone can really substantiate something better. :cool:

I'm about to get my vehicle tint as well. Any suggestions on the best place (in terms of service and price) to get my car tint in KL. Thanks guys. :)

Top Bottom