Key fob problem (video)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
megatnh;538588 said:
Hi
The thing is we have the option to use it either next to the bimmer or 15m away:wink:....I use it at a distance to check that I have properly locked it....:top:

Yes. We often question if we locked the car while walking to shopping centre entrance. Normal way to find out is press the button from a distance and expect to see the confirmation blink. So I'd say, 10-15m range is desired.

mikeyC;538527 said:
Mine is Llumar security, so far no fob range problem.

I know Llumar, 3M & Huper Optik all good brand ler .. but I got my car done at Tint-Shop and they don't carry these brands. I think they'll only do my rear windscreen again using whatever films they have. Solar Gard, Goldust etc ... Not interested in other products from the shop other than v-Kool.

Anyone has VK-Elite on the rear without any problems?

And can anyone confirm VK40 does decrease the key fob range in E90, and it's not just my car?

the moral of this story,dont blame the SC either Quill,AB,Igress,Sapura or any SC if they said "no fault" after diagnosis...they try solve your problem,SC also dont want every time cust came and complaint same issue..they try their best to solve the problem..but if cust come and want their car settle in 3-4 hours how to settle it? the complaint about electrical or noise it take time to solve... if electrical, conti cars have alots of electronic parts to chek,bcoz all control unit link with another control unit..SC not make or design the car...SC just help the owners to solve the problem..they also humans,sure will feel sad after eat charco "tiow" from cust.

back to this topic.. im sure,SC already imform this problem from the tinting but cust cant accept the answer.."i paid for the expensive tinting,why this tinting give me the problem"..hehehe...i like " Schwepps" answer... all the tech info he give very good....
why u want press the lock/unlock button 100/sec?..this key will sent different code after u press the button.example,1st press it will sent code "1001" to receiver,then the receiver will sent it to control unit...if the code correct,so the control unit will inform the door lock to working......if u press 100/sec how this system will function..then if the key can spek,it will say WTF? i dont no what u want to do with me? lock/unlock ur car 100/sec?...
for MYVI,it only use 1 code ... if it use code "5298",so it will use that code till die... u can duplicated the key under cerry tree...

BMW car have some radius for the central locking signal..almost all conti car,the signal receiver at the rear w/screen...when u tinted with hitect tinting,till satellit also cannot detect how it will work properly...

Just my 1/5cent idea...

NCH;538618 said:
Yes. We often question if we locked the car while walking to shopping centre entrance. Normal way to find out is press the button from a distance and expect to see the confirmation blink. So I'd say, 10-15m range is desired.

Nch
That's what I've been trying to tell ...we have the choices:top:......how you use it is up to you ...

Hi Syahmi,

Didn't know you're on BCM. It's good that you see what's happening with the customers.

I will test the key fob thoroughly again, if the tinting was the only cause, I will email all of you to acknowledge problem solved, based on your suggestion.

Consider my key fob problem solved, then I still have 2 problems to rectify:

Dancing headlight (some told me it's normal because of auto-levelling, some told me it's excessive and a fix is on its way. Guess which one I like to hear more?)

Car pulling to left (Did alignment 3 times and concluded my car is normal?)

Not sure if I'm gonna ever get the latter fixed but to make everyone happier, I'm just gonna pretend that everything's completely fine.

And then, I'm moving on. It's not a very pleasant experience to visit the dealership. I waste a lot of time there, don't get the problems solved, and you guys must think i am too unreasonable.

chamyto, to help us understand why V-Kool affects our fob's signal, do you know what frequency band it works on? We know that a normal car uses static codes in the radio band. A present day BMW fob uses dynamic codes, but in the radio band or infrared band? I'm beginning to suspect infrared because radio signals don't seem to be affected by V-Kool - normal car fobs and our mobile phones have no problems with V-Kool. Please tell if you know. :wink:

I'm very glad to hear you finally solved your first issue :top:

Still 2 to go, but there's a reason now for you to be happy! You have to remember this car is packed with electronics and stuff so no point comparing it to other more simpler Japanese cars. And with that I think the problem with you keyless start is solved eh??

Schwepps;538770 said:
chamyto, to help us understand why V-Kool affects our fob's signal, do you know what frequency band it works on? We know that a normal car uses static codes in the radio band. A present day BMW fob uses dynamic codes, but in the radio band or infrared band? I'm beginning to suspect infrared because radio signals don't seem to be affected by V-Kool - normal car fobs and our mobile phones have no problems with V-Kool. Please tell if you know. :wink:

im not sure why V-cool give side effect for bmw car.... bmw must send FBI to investigate...hehehe.....just joking...
this what im thinking now..hope its true story...haha...
normal proton car use infrared signal... merc , bmw use radio signal but it just cover certain distance only (example around 10-15 feets)...the anntenna module at the car,if u block the antenna module with something (example tinted) the radius for radio signal become more less...(maybe around 3-5feets)..then the anttena module take time to read the "code" and comform the "code".

why our mobile phone no problem?bcoz this phone signal cover worldwide n d coverage connected with setelit signal....if u use plus higway,how many maxis anttena u can find beside the higway? so thats y phone coverage always there...then suddenly u go inside the tunnel at Jelapang or karak,the phone/radio coverage missing bcoz the signal was blocking...

:listen: 0.01cent opinion.pliz make correction if im wrong...

Sorry bro, but Proton and other cars use radio frequencies, around the 300-400MHz in the HF zone. In hindsight, I guess BMW probably uses radio frequencies too, because infrared is just too directional and easily blocked to be used for auto key fobs. Unless they use an extended IR system. Doubtful.

Mobile phones also use radio frequencies. Ours is GSM 900, which is around 900MHz in the UHF zone. Nothing to do with worldwide cover or satellite transmissions (which are microwaves at 3-30GHz)

My point was that V-Kool doesn't seem to block the 3-400MHz fobs of other cars nor 900MHz of our mobile phones. Why should it block BMW fobs if they're also using radio frequencies? If they're using IR which V-Kool blocks, that would explain it. However I doubt it, so mystery still there.

A point to note: our security system is likely to be a pseudo-random number generator system. Ie, one click on the fob changes its stored code to another number by an algorithm. If the signal is received, the OBC in your car also changes its stored code to the same number by the same algorithm. This means the system is in synchronised state.

If you then go click-click-click-click; or if you give your fob to your toddler to play with as a clicker, the fob and your OBC can become unsynchronised. Do that x no of times (depending on how many bits they're using as the code) and they can become permanently unsynchronised and you'll need to get it reprogrammed. :)

Dear kawan,

This time I use the key fob properly. Just try 1 press to unlock instead of click-click-click non-stop.

Although the range has slightly improved after removing the rear tint, it is still not cooperating with me at 5 meters away from the front of the car ...... :(

I thought I could just go for a non V-Kool film this time but the range is already less than ideal even though there's no tinting on rear windscreen.

What else could it be that deteriorate the singal range??? :|

The real question is how far away do you want to be to unlock your doors? And why need so far?

Surely you only really need to unlock the door when you're standing next to the car.

I haven't tested my range, but I don't think it's very far.

kamion;540167 said:
The real question is how far away do you want to be to unlock your doors? And why need so far?

Surely you only really need to unlock the door when you're standing next to the car.

I haven't tested my range, but I don't think it's very far.

There are times when I want to fully-utilize the key fob range. Like making sure I already have the doors locked after walking away. Sometimes my car is parked outdoors and when it rains, I would like to unlock the doors before running to the car so I can get in asap.

Desired range maybe 10-15m? Is this too much to ask? Settling for less isn't my style.

The only other thing is if yours is a CA fob, make sure your battery is fresh all the time. It's not worth changing your tint just for this, why not try changing your mindset instead. I think of it as something that heightens my security consciousness against carjacking, the main way to steal a BMW. I've had a few friends who've been carjacked of their lux rides and it's not a pleasant experience.

All my welcome lights and locking indications are selected as 'off' in iDrive and there's no advance indication it's my car until I'm at the door. Pop the lock, get in and immediately lock from the dash button. Similarly, look or listen to ensure locking before walking away from the car. That's my mindset about this, and I don't think I'm alone. Try it. :)

racheltoh;540286 said:
NCH...mine is Vkool Gold Dust

Ohhhh Goldust by V-Kool

saw it at Tint-Shop

Does it affect the key fob range?

NCH;540313 said:
Ohhhh Goldust by V-Kool

saw it at Tint-Shop

Does it affect the key fob range?

hey there NCH,

i'm using Llumar 2 mil security flim on the rear and have no problem with range,
even can unlock / lock from the fifth floor of apartment.
BUT for further range i have to press and hold it till it unlocks/lock. maybe 1-2 sec coz if i just press and release nothing happens....:eek:

achtung;540333 said:
BUT for further range i have to press and hold it till it unlocks/lock. maybe 1-2 sec coz if i just press and release nothing happens....:eek:

Press the buttons too long and all 4 windows will open or close. :)

Top Bottom