Temperature goes up when Static

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

badass_ck

Club Guest
Dear sifus,

In my previous topic, i mentioned that coolant signal comes on and I did a pressure test where only the nut was found to be the leakage. It was replaced.

Now:

1) signal comes up from time to time;

2) Temperature shoots up fast when car is stopped at traffic light [Note: It goes down when i press the accelerator and start driving].

3) checked the water level. Water is full [Note: one thing peculiar is ever since the coolant signal comes up, the water level has never dropped ie when i open the water cover, the water seems to be gassy and overflows. Very weird encounters.]

PLEASE HELP.

thank you.

There could be some pockets of air in ur cooling system, due to improper bleeding during ur last topup/service.

Agree with Vincent , I feel it's ur fan bro ,check ur fan first cause u mention car static temp rise , car move temp down . my self kena dulu with jap car , same situation and criteria ...

Hi all,

Went to check for it. The fan was working. They suspected it was the thermostat which caused problem as there was a gap of 40 Celsius, according to the diagnosis.

Thermostat replaced and the temperature became normal. No leakage was found.

Thank you, sinus.

The thermostat now a day normally last for 2 years if you replaced it from now.

Problem recur. Am told it could be d gasket is spoiled hence I might need an overhaul.

Pressure tested today but no leakage found.

If problem from gasket then your engine oil will filled with water. You can check it with the oil stick. Your car is using electric fan or clutch fan ? Have you confirm your thermostat has any problem or not ? If thermostat having problem it might need high water pressure only opens the gap. If this is the situation meaning is match your situation when idling water pump not enough pressure to push the thermostat to open due to thermostat nearly jam. Water pump needed to be check if you check the thermostat together.

Xthree said:
Agree with Vincent , I feel it's ur fan bro ,check ur fan first cause u mention car static temp rise , car move temp down . my self kena dulu with jap car , same situation and criteria ...
tweiboon said:
The thermostat now a day normally last for 2 years if you replaced it from now.

Sent from my Lenovo S860 using Tapatalk

Dear Sifus,

The problem is not solved yet. Nowadays, I have to top up water every day. I can only drive say, 100km daily and the temp goes up. When the engine is already hot and I stop the car, the fan will keep running. By fan, I mean the big fan located directed opposite the engine (sorry. I am an amateur in cars, cant get the terms correct). I asked the mechanic and he said it is normal that if engine is too hot, even if u stop the car, the fan will run for a few minutes and stop on its own.

I detected a new anomaly here. When I start my day by driving the car to work, I will hear "wheezing" sound. As you know how quiet the car can be, the wheezing sound is loud enough for me to be on guard because before this overheating problem occurs, the sound never occurred. From my reading in the internet, it is likely that the gasket is burned or engine is leaking?

Please advice. Thank you in advance.

tweiboon said:
If problem from gasket then your engine oil will filled with water. You can check it with the oil stick. Your car is using electric fan or clutch fan ? Have you confirm your thermostat has any problem or not ? If thermostat having problem it might need high water pressure only opens the gap. If this is the situation meaning is match your situation when idling water pump not enough pressure to push the thermostat to open due to thermostat nearly jam. Water pump needed to be check if you check the thermostat together.
The senior mechanic said could be thermostat because when he diagnosed the car, apparently there was a difference of 20 to 30 degrees. He said most probably the thermostat and it was changed in early January 2015 when i started this thread? .

Sigh.

I am suprised that your mechanics are still trying to diagnose this problem. I quite strongly believe your problem is due to your head gasket failure & high possibility your cylinder head has warpped. No point spending lots of money replacing things around the engine because the cylinder head is where your problem lies.

Vincent Hor said:
I am suprised that your mechanics are still trying to diagnose this problem. I quite strongly believe your problem is due to your head gasket failure & high possibility your cylinder head has warpped. No point spending lots of money replacing things around the engine because the cylinder head is where your problem lies.
lol... i am really at a loss. Can I guess that this cyclinder head can be replaced or an overhaul is needed?

do you know whats the temperature? it should be around 90 deg C. If it so, thats normal and temp on the gauge should be at 12 O'clock. If the radiator signal keep light up, might change the coolant sensor.

Do compression test for the engine and pressure test for the radiator, for the head to warped (it happened to my car) it may have been driven under high temperature until the enjin shuts down by itself. But one thing for sure with E46, cooling system is very fragile, mine engine kaput due to the crack expansion tank while wife was driving it.

Sometime is not the engine broken itself, may be the wrong engine oil you use then affect it. Some engine was destroy by the fake engine oil. the owner buy it from internet. Although it's cheap but is fake one.

a friend of mine mention the same thing, cheap engine oil on internet is dangerous for the car.

Just to add on (after so many years) my experience with the overheating problem.
1. Change thermostat - better but still over temperature.
2. Change all hose and expansion tank. - Not helping.
3. Change radiator - Help a bit
4. Bypass Car heater - Aircon better but still overheat.
5. Change clutch fan - Help but still overheat.
6. Charge AC gas. - It helps really but overheat after a month. (AC gas is leaking)
7. Change Aux fan - OK for a month but notice the fan speed is slow and overheat in a jam. Bought another fan and fix it. Fan can be hear to be spinning fast. So far so good for a month.
Conclusion - The electric fan speed is control by the coolant temperature and aircon gas pressure. If the gas pressure is low, it will slow down the speed. If the gas pressure is high, it will operate the fan at maximum speed. hence, always ensure your AC is good.

Top Bottom