Engine Overheat

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Here the latest update on the engine.

Open the engine and found the following problem:-

1. gasket blown
2. top head cylinder slight warped
3. cam rod slightly worned out
4. tapper worned out
5. One piston ring loose. can move the piston. (need to change the ring)
6. oil seal for flywheel leaking
7. front oil seal also leaking.

So many things worn out.. I am going to retire the engine and put it to a greener pasture.

Went around asking for an engine M40 1.8l empty engine. Got it for RM1500 after nego. Thanks to those who have offered and help in purchasing the engine. (come with AP paper)

Now the engine is at the workshop. can't wait to see the car with a new heart..

OK what are the do and don't when upgrading the engine from 1.6l to 1.8l. Heard so many advise. pro and con. here are the list.

1. throttle body (must used 1.8l)
2. ECU (must use 1.8)
3. brakes (must upgrade)
4. fuel injectors (better to upgrade or keep original)
5. change the timing belt to be on the safe side (don't know the milage )
6. change the oil seal (wear and tear or due to aging)
7. exhaust manifold (keep original or upgrade)

Will keep you all posted with any new update. please advise as I need all the help that I can get to get the car running in tip top condition.
:eek:k: :eek:k:

jaran,

remmeber to change your crankshaft oil seal too. most of the time, that will give way 1st after the engine has not being running for a while.

I have some m40 parts, pm me if you are keen. :)

Originally posted by elwine30@Sep 20 2005, 11:19 AM
jaran,

remmeber to change your crankshaft oil seal too. most of the time, that will give way 1st after the engine has not being running for a while.

I have some m40 parts, pm me if you are keen. :)
thank for the tip. Will ask the mechanic to change the oil seal.
I might need a ECU for 1.8l engine since the engine is upgraded. Will try with the 1.6l ECU first and get the ECU upgrade later.

Latest Update..

Engine transplant done. Have to assist the mechanics to do the transplant as he was not familiar with the works.

Work done:-

1. 2nd hand M40 1.8 litres transplant. plug and play.
2. Throttle body changed to 1.8 type but found the inner bore to be same as 1.6l.
3. Timng belt change to new as now sure the usage of previous engine.
4. Mounting for front Shock absorber changed due to broken off. Could be caused when the car towed from the rear.
5. Long short to short shaft rubber coupling changed due to excessive wear and tear. Use to have a bit of knocking sound when shift from neutral to drive mode. Now the knocking sound is gone.
6. Fuel hoses all changed - already harden and cracked.
7. Flywheel oilseal changed.

Damage - to be advised later...

After the engine is transplant, try to start the car. Crank and no sound.
Big worry... On the back of mind ... OMG what have I done!!!

Check and found that the battery is weak.. Use jumper wire and connect. Turn the ignition On and engine crank!.. What a relief... phew... but engine did not start.... mmmmmm.....

Oh yes, the fuel hose was changed.. hence the fuel is not going into the fuel manifold and injector. Start to crank the engine and stepping and pumping on the fuel throttle... Crank and crank and crank... The cranking seem to last forever...(actually it was about 10 seconds) and suddenly the engine runs...
:yahoo: :yahoo: ... At first, the engine sound rough.... as time goes by, the sound of metal rubbing dies off after the 20 seconds.... As the engine warms up, it start to purr like a pussy... Push the fuel throttle and the rev is responsive.. no hesistation.... good feeling.....

OK, let go a test drive... Stop engine and bring the car down.... Restart the car in Neutral position and the car suddenly start to reverse when the gear is selected to neutral... OMG, WTF... later found that the wire for the gear shift was not adjusted properly.. Adjust it.. Good.....

jack the car down and Housten.. We have a countdown and ready to go...

Drove on the highway... Step down on the pedal.. Acceleration not bad compare to previous engine... Drove around a bit and was quite happy with the new engine...

What a week... Thanks to all who have help in getting my car in running condition... cheer everbody... :eek:k: :eek:k:

wah so cheap you got the engine...lucky you I got mine 6 years back from Japan 5500RM. all in I think I spend more then 6500 for the whole job.
Glad you are ok now Jarance. :yahoo:

Jaran, glad that your babe is back on the road. Now you can't claim that you have the slowest BMW on the road.... :D

Originally posted by Lionel_Koh@Sep 24 2005, 06:12 PM
Glad to hear ur babe is back to action :D
thanks for the support. :eek:k:

Long time no see at Klang TT... Come lar... :wink:

Originally posted by vincent@Sep 24 2005, 07:07 PM
hahaha jaran have a new life in his car so no more 316 la .
officially, it is still a 316 until I get the paperworks done.. but doing it very slowly.. he..he.. :ph34r:

Originally posted by rezzy3181@Sep 25 2005, 09:46 PM
wah so cheap you got the engine...lucky you I got mine 6 years back from Japan 5500RM. all in I think I spend more then 6500 for the whole job.
Glad you are ok now Jarance. :yahoo:
yup... rm1500 for the engine... Cost about rm1400 for the labour and other parts.

1. new timing belt
2. new absorber mounting 2 nos.
3. Long shaft coupling.
4. new oil change semi syn
5. new oil filter
6. new fuel hose - all change
7. new exhaust mounting
8. new bearing for timing belt.

thanks... now running in the engine.... maybe change oil after 1000 km..

Do you think the ECU or DME need to be upgrade?

So far facing a bit of a problem.. Normal driving OK but when accelerate fast there is a bit of hesistation (about 0.5 sec) when the gear is changed.. Still trying to figure out the problem.

Originally posted by flash@Sep 26 2005, 08:02 AM
Jaran, glad that your babe is back on the road. Now you can't claim that you have the slowest BMW on the road.... :D
OK not the slowest but one of the slowest.... :D :D

After 318 now realised should have got the 2.5 or 2.8l... :D :blink: :)

Originally posted by jarance@Sep 24 2005, 12:07 PM
Latest Update..

Engine transplant done. Have to assist the mechanics to do the transplant as he was not familiar with the works.

Work done:-

1. 2nd hand M40 1.8 litres transplant. plug and play.
2. Throttle body changed to 1.8 type but found the inner bore to be same as 1.6l.
3. Timng belt change to new as now sure the usage of previous engine.
4. Mounting for front Shock absorber changed due to broken off. Could be caused when the car towed from the rear.
5. Long short to short shaft rubber coupling changed due to excessive wear and tear. Use to have a bit of knocking sound when shift from neutral to drive mode. Now the knocking sound is gone.
6. Fuel hoses all changed - already harden and cracked.
7. Flywheel oilseal changed.

Damage - to be advised later...

After the engine is transplant, try to start the car. Crank and no sound.
Big worry... On the back of mind ... OMG what have I done!!!

Check and found that the battery is weak.. Use jumper wire and connect. Turn the ignition On and engine crank!.. What a relief... phew... but engine did not start.... mmmmmm.....

Oh yes, the fuel hose was changed.. hence the fuel is not going into the fuel manifold and injector. Start to crank the engine and stepping and pumping on the fuel throttle... Crank and crank and crank... The cranking seem to last forever...(actually it was about 10 seconds) and suddenly the engine runs...
:yahoo: :yahoo: ... At first, the engine sound rough.... as time goes by, the sound of metal rubbing dies off after the 20 seconds.... As the engine warms up, it start to purr like a pussy... Push the fuel throttle and the rev is responsive.. no hesistation.... good feeling.....

OK, let go a test drive... Stop engine and bring the car down.... Restart the car in Neutral position and the car suddenly start to reverse when the gear is selected to neutral... OMG, WTF... later found that the wire for the gear shift was not adjusted properly.. Adjust it.. Good.....

jack the car down and Housten.. We have a countdown and ready to go...

Drove on the highway... Step down on the pedal.. Acceleration not bad compare to previous engine... Drove around a bit and was quite happy with the new engine...

What a week... Thanks to all who have help in getting my car in running condition... cheer everbody... :eek:k: :eek:k:
Excellent news Sir!
now can burn rubber on the highway! kekkekkek :D :D

Glad your ride is up and running.

I suggest that you change the DME or loan a 1.8 DME and test it for a week and see if the problem still persist.

Originally posted by et5@Sep 26 2005, 08:58 AM

Excellent news Sir!
now can burn rubber on the highway! kekkekkek :D :D
burn rubber no lah.. tyres already botak.. next thing on my list of thing to change.. now pokai.... :(

Top Bottom