Overheating!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bmw7833;642835 said:
Oil solution can not last long one.. i had mine last time too.

I added the oil in workshop A, when i replaced the new clutch fan in workshop B, the mechanic B said the workshop A is stupid as added oil in the clutch fan..lol..

Jarance, any chance the mechanic u mentioned in JB is Two-B?

ahh yes.. it was Two-B..

bmw7833;642839 said:
Hahh..Mine also added by him. May be he is the only one add oil into clutch fan.

I think he is the only mechanic in Malaysia who do this. rest just say "change lar, boss"

jarance;642841 said:
I think he is the only mechanic in Malaysia who do this. rest just say "change lar, boss"

Next time when i meet him again, i will ask him to use VCO. May be can long lasting. :top:

bmw7833;642843 said:
Next time when i meet him again, i will ask him to use VCO. May be can long lasting. :top:

Ahhh... he is one smart Mechanic... since other call him "stupid=now cannot make money", but i think the comment about the fan stuck in 1 speed might be viable... will go and open the thing... hope this will the issue last time...

BTW:
I keep loosing approx 1 litre of coolant after 2 months or so... is that normal already?

jarance;642831 said:
It was done by an old skool mechanic. The shop is in JB by the name of b2H or H2 something (cant remember cos long time ago).

what he did was removed the clutch fan and remove the bimetallic strip in front of the fan.

he add some special oil (say from toyota) into the clutch fan and reseal it up. basically what he did was add enough
oil so that the clutch will engage more earlier.

do a search on fluid coupling for the working principle.

pro: engine stay cooler

con: more load on the engine. feels slightly sluggish.

Sidetrack a bit.... I oso did this before for my ride...but not for my UDM, for my other car. In my opinion, its true as Jarance said, the engine stay cooler. The fan is blowing at "smoother speed"...

The oil actually cost around RM35-40 if not mistakken last time per tube. But the process of dismantling the fan took sometime. The workshop owner said "just change fan lah".. but i said.."no, preventive maintenance lah !!!" No issues until today.

But im not sure whthr our UDM would require this or not lah. :)

Petrus;643198 said:
Sidetrack a bit.... I oso did this before for my ride...but not for my UDM, for my other car. In my opinion, its true as Jarance said, the engine stay cooler. The fan is blowing at "smoother speed"...

The oil actually cost around RM35-40 if not mistakken last time per tube. But the process of dismantling the fan took sometime. The workshop owner said "just change fan lah".. but i said.."no, preventive maintenance lah !!!" No issues until today.

But im not sure whthr our UDM would require this or not lah. :)

Sometimes there is things you do that will save tons of money... others may not feel the same since earning money is Capital :p

But back to the topic... losing coolant of about 1 litre for about 2 months is normal ka?

xcrave;643291 said:
Sometimes there is things you do that will save tons of money... others may not feel the same since earning money is Capital :p

But back to the topic... losing coolant of about 1 litre for about 2 months is normal ka?

No it is not normal to lose any coolant at all. Problem is trying to find where is the minute leak.

Most people just top up with water when they play with the car as part of the routine maintenance.

jarance;643344 said:
No it is not normal to lose any coolant at all. Problem is trying to find where is the minute leak.

Most people just top up with water when they play with the car as part of the routine maintenance.

Arghhh!!! ok now back to pressure test... BTW is 2 bar acceptable for pressure test?? dammit i thought i solve the leaks when i change the top hose and water pump...

xcrave;643376 said:
Arghhh!!! ok now back to pressure test... BTW is 2 bar acceptable for pressure test?? dammit i thought i solve the leaks when i change the top hose and water pump...

just live with it.. it is almost impossible to detect because some of the hose go into the car for the aircon heating.

Hu hu... well sometimes you just cant fix everything... hope this will just be minor and not a sitting timebomb...

jarance;643344 said:

Yup same as mine. Just top up water once in a while. No point agonising over it. But my bimmer never go long distance so this is ok.

Salut

xcrave;645104 said:
ok too much sugar for you guys... imma change it :p

Don't la change...That avatar is a perfect example of how driving a bimmer should make you feel. So fast till you wet your underwear and have to change.

Salut

solo;645203 said:
Don't la change...That avatar is a perfect example of how driving a bimmer should make you feel. So fast till you wet your underwear and have to change.

Salut

No no... its suppose to be... "Isit me or its just too hot in ur car..." (slips out the undies :p)

BTW Back to the Topic... like what was said far earlier PLEASE PLEASE for the love of God do properly fill you coolant and Bleed it properly to let the trapped air out...

Simple 3 Step

#1 Make sure the Key to Position 2 (just before you crank start the engine) then change your A/C to the highest temperature (mine is 32 Deg Celcius) and lowest fan speed (Speed 1)

#2 Open the Bleeder Screw and Reserve tank cap... fill coolant slowly UNTIL all bubbles stops coming out of the bleeder screw (usually untill you see only coolant comes out of the bleeder screw)

#3 Start engine and let it idle until the temp goes to 12:00 position (at same time put A/C to full speed with the 32 Degrees temp)... if it goes higher then 12:00 position. Stop the car, let it cool (i'll leave the car for at least 30 minutes) and repeat from Step #1 Until the temp is perfect 12:00 position when idle...

Why? Cause i just helped a guy this morning at Esso, Jalan Bundusan. The Guy clearly did not know how to even top up the coolant properly because he say "see the water full ma, how come Overheat? " I was late to work but was happy cause at least now 1 over hundreds of UDM driver now knows how to top up or bleed their system correctly...

BONUS: Use the 20 Cent coin to loosen and tighten your bleeder screw this way the screw will remain beautiful :p

Hope

Jalan Bundusan ya..remind me the CKS Supermarket which i use to visit he..he....
Btw u do a good job there helping the guy filling d coolant.

Dame ignorant guy... he say "aiyo so hard just to fill the radiator... better just send mechanic and do the service la later..."

Dame rich uncle... Buy me one new M3 GTR la :p

Top Bottom