Surprisingly better than Michelin P S 3 tyres

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nicholas_foo

Club Guest
I had Michelin P S 3 and replaced them with 4 Goodyear F1 D5 tyres before Raya. I like to share and say to other BMW car owners that I am very happy with this new tyre. I made the decision after driving a friend's car fitted with the Goodyear F1 D5. On my car, the new Goodyear feels more stable than my old Michelin P S 3 particularly on corners every time.Because I do a lot of travelling to Kedah and to Johor, I can't afford to make a mistake in buying too uncomfortable tyres or too noisy tyres. I am glad to say my new Goodyear lived up to expectations in this area. I can feel better stability when doing above 120 kph.The price is about 90 ringgit each cheaper than Michelin P S 3!Maybe next time i may splurge out more money for the Goodyear Asymmetric 2 (or Asy 3 by then), but as of now this F1 D5 is terrific for the price.

nicholas_foo;667682 said:
I had Michelin P S 3 and replaced them with 4 Goodyear F1 D5 tyres before Raya. I like to share and say to other BMW car owners that I am very happy with this new tyre. I made the decision after driving a friend's car fitted with the Goodyear F1 D5.
On my car, the new Goodyear feels more stable than my old Michelin P S 3 particularly on corners every time.
Because I do a lot of travelling to Kedah and to Johor, I can't afford to make a mistake in buying too uncomfortable tyres or too noisy tyres. I am glad to say my new Goodyear lived up to expectations in this area. I can feel better stability when doing above 120 kph.
The price is about 90 ringgit each cheaper than Michelin P S 3!
Maybe next time i may splurge out more money for the Goodyear Asymmetric 2 (or Asy 3 by then), but as of now this F1 D5 is terrific for the price.

Where did you buy them from? I was told GD-5 was just released this month. Is it lighter or heavy on the steering?

Newer generation tyres are all made lighter to reduce unsprung weight, thus achieving fuel economy objective and shorter braking distance. F1 D5 is designed with noise suppression rib and softer compound, therefore it's quieter compare to PS3.

Aisayman, if that's the case then can you do me a big favour and list the new generation tyres
that are already in our market. This will help a lot in helping us to make the right decision when
putting down our hard earned gaji to buy the black shoes for our German steeds.
Thx a lot!

Haha.. Whatever u see on the shelf with current manufacturing dates are all newer generation tyres lor. U can still find the 1st generation Eagle F1 meh? Expired d lor.. :p

And I still couldn't figure out how much impact can the unsprung weight affects the steering.. For me if the steering feels heavy, that means the tyre has good grip. That's why steering feels heavier in bald tyres.

One question though, would softer compound makes the tyre being worn out faster?

PS3 is crap tyres in the 1st place bcos alot of people assume its the replacement for PS2, which it is not. It actually relaces the Preceda, and its mostly made in Thailand. The initials PS3 is for marketing reasons to fool the public only. The PSS replaces the PS2.

Waaaah unker XXX,

lucky I dint buy yet lo, thanks for the advice, so I may go the Conti or Gyear way.

SarJeePekAi;667972 said:
Waaaah unker XXX,

lucky I dint buy yet lo, thanks for the advice, so I may go the Conti or Gyear way.

i suppose so unless u r a Michelin fan..but Michelin PSS is another story, if you are willing to part with the dough go for PSS.

astroboy;667863 said:
Haha.. Whatever u see on the shelf with current manufacturing dates are all newer generation tyres lor. U can still find the 1st generation Eagle F1 meh? Expired d lor.. :p

And I still couldn't figure out how much impact can the unsprung weight affects the steering.. For me if the steering feels heavy, that means the tyre has good grip. That's why steering feels heavier in bald tyres.

AB, i thought bald tyres shud make steering lighter instead of heavier

zeedo;667989 said:
AB, i thought bald tyres shud make steering lighter instead of heavier

Bald tyre gives u more surface contact. That's why slick tyres are designed without tread on the surface. Treads on tyre surface are for water drainage purposes. Bald tyres are excellent for dry surface and shorter braking distance because more grip on dry tarmac, hence heavier steering in turning.

U never use new tyre before meh? Steering very light but gets heavier as it wears ma..

gendong;667906 said:
One question though, would softer compound makes the tyre being worn out faster?

Not necessary. Silica compound is being used to replace soft natural rubber due to it's excellent wear resistance. U have Croc shoe? Those are silica, does it wear fast?

IMHO, Michelin are simply over rated in Malaysia. Everyone wants a Michelin, price also sky rocket. I'm currently on CSC 5P and just as happy :d

My next change, Nexen N8000.. :1:

P/s: cheap skate BMW owner here.. Only 4-Potter.. :p

sifu's ...quick question, i have changed to Michelin ps3 (2 front wheels), will it be alright to change other brand for the rear..
as the thread pattern will not be the same. Which will result in higher fuel consumption ...

astroboy;668051 said:
My next change, Nexen N8000.. :1:

P/s: cheap skate BMW owner here.. Only 4-Potter.. :p

How much for 275/30/19 & 245/35/19?

nicholas_foo;667682 said:
I had Michelin P S 3 and replaced them with 4 Goodyear F1 D5 tyres before Raya. I like to share and say to other BMW car owners that I am very happy with this new tyre. I made the decision after driving a friend's car fitted with the Goodyear F1 D5.
On my car, the new Goodyear feels more stable than my old Michelin P S 3 particularly on corners every time.
Because I do a lot of travelling to Kedah and to Johor, I can't afford to make a mistake in buying too uncomfortable tyres or too noisy tyres. I am glad to say my new Goodyear lived up to expectations in this area. I can feel better stability when doing above 120 kph.
The price is about 90 ringgit each cheaper than Michelin P S 3!
Maybe next time i may splurge out more money for the Goodyear Asymmetric 2 (or Asy 3 by then), but as of now this F1 D5 is terrific for the price.

How is it compare to Assym 1 in terms of performance & pricing?

initialM;668068 said:
How much for 275/30/19 & 245/35/19?

eKKkk... u also cheap skate BMW owner ka?! Oh ya hor.. u almost trade your BMW in for a Cuntchill.. :p

Haiya.. like what u using now la.. all Koreans la.. same same la. Just another Korean "dish".. :love:

A1 will be soon off the shelf la.. if can find also I think old stock la. Just like PP2, replaced by PS3 liao la. A2 pricing is about 10% off PS3 price. Well worth consideration.

Kay.G.;668066 said:
sifu's ...quick question, i have changed to Michelin ps3 (2 front wheels), will it be alright to change other brand for the rear..
as the thread pattern will not be the same. Which will result in higher fuel consumption ...

Kay.G, yes u can but u need to get use to the difference in grip between your front and rear due to the different tread pattern, more so when you are mixing wet and dry tyres. FC is dependent on the rolling resistance of the tyres.

I'm running PS3 [balance dry/wet asymmetrical tread tyre with soft silica compound to keep my head pointed to the right direction] for my front and Yoko S-Drive [fantastic wet tyre due to the symmetrical directional patted to disperse water to the side] on my rear.. :p Cannot afford all PS3 la.. heh! :4:

Tyre construction has come a long way since Mr Goodyear discovered vulcanization.. ;)
Some tyres can give the consistent traction all the way until 10% thread, but not in the wet though..
Some tyres lose traction after certain % of treadwear..
More surface contact doesn't always translate to more traction, it has to do with the compound formulated...

Whatever tyres u buy, bear in mind that the 4 contact patches is what keep the car on the road... Not saying u shud spend top dollars on the black donuts but more like not to skim on them.. make periodic checks on them, like when you're pumping petrol. squat down and check on the inner side.. especially the rear tyres where the camber is dialed to -ve for stability. So the inner tread will wear off faster than the outer tread. seasoned BMW owners will know this but those new to BMW ownership can get caught offguard when they only check on the outer treadwear.. Some even drove until the steel mesh were exposed...

Top Bottom