Starting my E34 project now - need help reg JPJ issues

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Hammer278

Official Member
Hi Sifus,

Have the M50b20 engine, 1996 model, standard 4 speed GB.
I'm looking now to upgrade by getting a halfcut - either M60b30 or M54B30 (both with 5 speed auto). The thing is it would be a jump from 2L to 3L.....and I know this is tricky, legally. Anyone know how I can get this done with minimum cost. Any contact/runner? What's the process like. I don't want to do undercover, since gov is cracking down on old cars nowadays.

Also if you can help suggest a mechanic who can help me source for this halfcut, much appreciated!! Have been waiting a long long time to start this project but suddenly now when I'm able, so many initial questions. Am willing to meet up with any sifus who have done the conversion and drinks/meal on me. :)
Thank you so much in advance for any help/feedback.

Meanwhile if anyone is interested, while going through this project will be looking to sell these items:

Engine (M50b20) - regular service with records, not skipped a beat since I got this car 10 years ago
Gearbox - same
Rims (4) - Standard 15" BMW multispokes

Why do you need a mechanic to help you source for the halfcut? I say try to avoid mechanic as much you can. There are bunch of halfcut shops around, why don't you go look for the halfcut yourself. Once you have found your dream halfcut, you can find a mechanic who will help with the swap, if you like, or, even better, get the tools and do it yourself ;)

Sorry, I don't know much about the JPJ process.

Thanks for the response! :)

Actually considering the options and getting some feedback, have decided to go for the M54b25 E39 halfcut. And then later on get a stroker kit for it, however my concern is to get a mechanic who has done this conversion before since I really don't want any issues. So far my car has been bulletproof in reliability, it would feel pretty bad if I do the conversion and I keep getting issues. So taking some time to look for a good halfcut (2003/2004) and also to find a mech who has done a similar conversion.

Hammer278 said:
Hi Sifus,

Have the M50b20 engine, 1996 model, standard 4 speed GB.
I'm looking now to upgrade by getting a halfcut - either M60b30 or M54B30 (both with 5 speed auto). The thing is it would be a jump from 2L to 3L.....and I know this is tricky, legally. Anyone know how I can get this done with minimum cost. Any contact/runner? What's the process like. I don't want to do undercover, since gov is cracking down on old cars nowadays.

Also if you can help suggest a mechanic who can help me source for this halfcut, much appreciated!! Have been waiting a long long time to start this project but suddenly now when I'm able, so many initial questions. Am willing to meet up with any sifus who have done the conversion and drinks/meal on me. :)
Thank you so much in advance for any help/feedback.

Meanwhile if anyone is interested, while going through this project will be looking to sell these items:

Engine (M50b20) - regular service with records, not skipped a beat since I got this car 10 years ago
Gearbox - same
Rims (4) - Standard 15" BMW multispokes
Hi,
I know its an old post but was wondering did you manage to swap M54B25 or B30 into your 520i? Im having same sort of issues as well. if you did manage to get it done may i know which mechanic did for you.\

Thanks.

t@r@r e34 said:
Hi,
I know its an old post but was wondering did you manage to swap M54B25 or B30 into your 520i? Im having same sort of issues as well. if you did manage to get it done may i know which mechanic did for you.\

Thanks.
Hi bro,

I ended up putting in an M60b40, but wouldn't recommend the mechanic I sent to. Huge delays, unkept promises and now my car is just getting completed at another workshop at Sunway. Project started in mid-April btw. Reliable foreman hard to come by these days.

Top Bottom